Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
stuyoung1

Multiple "Email Error" Pop-Ups

Multiple error pop-up windows occur in rapid fire sequesnce, the Norton error messages are:

• 554 delivery error
  • 550-5.7.1 The IP you're using to send mail is not authorized to....
  • 451 Message temporarily deferred
  • 550-5.7.1 Our system has detected an unusual rate of.....

I am getting blasted with each of these errors.  I suspect something is trying to use my PC to route emails and Norton is catching them, however I think my PC must be infected and Norton Antivirus 2011 is not cleaning it.  I'm running XP Pro with up to date Service Pack 3.  Live Update is active and is updating very frequently.  Any ideas for help?

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,054
Solutions: 367

Re: Multiple "Email Error" Pop-Ups

Hello stuyoung1

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Norton acts as a go between. The messages you are seeing are from your ISP email server. What email program are you using? To test to see if it's NAV 2011 causing the problem, please turn off email scanning and see if that fixes the problem. I would check with your ISP if you are using their email servers to see if they are having any problems. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Visitor
stuyoung1

Thank you for the response.  I use Yahoo for email and my ISP is Comcast.  I have 3 other computers on my home network and have zero problems with them, all using Yahoo email and Comcast.  The computer that is having the problem was infected with SystemTool a few days ago, so I purchased Norton Antivirus 2011 and began using it.  Clearly NAV found and fixed several problems, however I still have this non-stop email pop-up happening on this one computer....the wireless icon in the lower right tray is constantly lit up, which tells me that my computer is being used to traffic emails.  I would think NAV would find whatever has been placed on my computer fo rthis.  I have run MalwareBytes and cleaned additional infections that NAV missed.  I refuse to use this computer for anything until I can resolve the email pop-up warnings from Norton....oh, "yes" the pop-up stop when I disable email protection although the wireless icon in the lower right tray remains constantly lit up (so I know my computer is in constant communication with something....bad).  Any ideas??

Visitor
stuyoung1

One last comment....should I try the $99 Paid Virus Removal Service from Norton??

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,840
Solutions: 779

[ Edited ]

Hi stuyoung1,

You may not have an infection.  You are more likely the victim of address spoofing, where a spammer is simply putting your email address on the spam, so that you get the bouncebacks and the true source of the spam remains hidden.  If this is the case, your PC and your email account are completely safe - someone is just forging your address.  There is nothing you can do about this, except to wait it out as the activity usually stops after a while.  Other than that you would have to change your email address.

If you were infected you would probably not be getting bounceback messages precisely for the same reason - messages sent from your machine would have a spoofed "From" address so that bouncebacks would not come to you.  Obviously, bouncebacks would tip you off that your machine was infected, so the spammer would spoof someone else's address and you would never know (at least from bouncebacks) that your PC was spewing spam.

It is, of course, possible that your machine is part of a botnet sending out spam.  But there are other possibilities as well.  Are you seeing a lot of CPU and disk activity, slow computer performance, and is your modem indicating transmissions when you are not doing anything?

Visitor
stuyoung1

Thank you and I truly appreciate the help!!  I do have a little more info that may be pertinent....when I run MalwareBytes it finds 2 "Malware.Trace" items.  I then "remove" them via MalwareBytes and they are gone....until I reconnect to the internet and then they are back.  Here are the 2 "Malware.Trace" items being found:

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\host
  2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\id

Like, I said....they are gone and do not reappear in a scan until I am connected to the internet....so I assume these are being activated or placed onto the computer when I am connected to the internet??  Obviously I am not technical....

Does any of this make sense?  If they are being placed onto my computer or somehow activated, can I block them with NAV 2011??  Thank you.

Visitor
stuyoung1

SendOfJive....Thank you for the help....to answer your questions, when I am connected to the internet "yes" I have alot of disk activity (pretty much non-stop) and the modem indicator is constantly lit....even though I have nothing running other than NAV 2011.  On the computer with the issues, I have not opened my browser or connected to Yahoo email since this began....I am researching the issues via another computer.  Does this give you any additional cluses as to what I should do?? Thanks.  Stu

SendOfJive

Hi stuyoung1,

If you check your email account using one of the "good" computers you do not see anything associated with the error messages and bouncebacks?

Visitor
stuyoung1

That is correct, my Yahoo email account does not show any issues.  I checked the 'sent'  folder and nothing suspicious.  I contacted a few of my 'contacts'  via Yahoo email and they have not received any spam from me. 

By the way, I just ran MalwareBytes again and it picked up the following, which I posted earlier, but it did not pick up the 2nd item from my earlier post....I have not connected to the internet since my earlier post.  A scan by NAV 2011 did not pick up anything....I am now convinced that something is running locally on my computer to generate the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\host

and that once I connect to the internet the following is added:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\id

Am I barking up the wrong tree??

SendOfJive

Since you did clear a recent infection, you may want to post your issue to one of the following malware removal forums, suggested by delphinium, for assistance.  Since Norton is not detecting anything and Malwarebytes' is picking up only registry entries, if there is something on your system it is hiding and finding it may require expert advice and tools.

When you said your modem light was lit, did you mean steady or blinking?  Only if the light is blinking constantly would there be an indication of traffic.  And, of course, other programs on your system may be updating, etc. which would account for some online activity.  If you are seeing a blinking light for an extended period while the computer is completely idle and you do not have your browser open, then I would suspect a problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/

http://forums.whatthetech.com/