Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Itskervin
Accepted Solution

My Norton Internet Security won't open.

My Norton won't open for some reason. Just a lil rectangle box would appear alonge with a white long line in it. And now, when I right click my norton for options, their was nothing but "Norton Internet Security" option. Please help.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,854
Solutions: 379

Re: My Norton Internet Security won't open.

Was this a new installation of Norton? If so was there some different security program installed before? If so what as it?

Can you think of anything that you did or that happened when this change appeared?

To get you the best advice, would you give us some more information about your system:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Name and Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help or Support / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn

If you have the COMCAST version of Norton 360 / Security Suite and not the normal commercial version please be sure to tell us.

If you get any error messages please give the exact wording of them as well as any other background that could be helpful.

Hugh
Contributor
Itskervin

[ Edited ]

Before I had came across that problem, I was trying to remove a AntiVirus software that I installed when my subscrition expired. I had to wait till the weekend for my mother to pay it for me. I used 2 system restore points as well as a AntiVirus removal tool, after I completed doing so, that was when my Norton was unable to start or open.

The AntiVirus I was trying to remove was webroot.

I had Norton Internet Security software when I bought my laptop from Best Buy(Norton was my very first antivirus software on my laptop)

I have a windows 7 laptop and it's 64 bit. It's Norton Internet Security 2011.

The msg is : C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\18.5.0.125\uistub.exe Unspecified error

huwyngr

Itskervin wrote:

Before I had came across that problem, I was trying to remove a AntiVirus software that I installed when my subscrition expired. I had to wait till the weekend for my mother to pay it for me. I used 2 system restore points as well as a AntiVirus removal tool, after I completed doing so, that was when my Norton was unable to start or open.

The AntiVirus I was trying to remove was webroot.

I had Norton Internet Security software when I bought my laptop from Best Buy(Norton was my very first antivirus software on my laptop)

I have a windows 7 laptop and it's 64 bit. It's Norton Internet Security 2011.

The msg is : C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\18.5.0.125\uistub.exe Unspecified error

System Restore is the clue! Because it restores the files it thinks it needs to back to an earlier date but not all the files it can happen that a part of Norton gets back dated and part does not so there have been reports of this causing trouble.

Your best bet will be to clean out as much as you can and to reinstall Norton.

You need to completely remove all traces of Webroot AV program and I see that as for many security programs that there is a special tool for this that you can download from http://download.techworld.com/147/webroot-removal-tool/ 

I have downloaded it and checked it with NIS and with Malwarebytes and it is passed by both but don't use it unless one of the other gurus with more experience than I have gives an opinion!

You probably should scan with a free program like Malwarebytes in case you are infected and if OK then download and run a special Norton Removal Tool that will clean up all traces of NIS.

After all that you should download and install NIS from a file we can link you to and after running LiveUPdate you should be home and dry ....

But hang on until tomorrow for some more detailed step by step instructions.

Can you confirm that you are in USA/CAN and using the US English version of Windows -- or if not give the details. ANd that you have a KEY to activate your NIS that you got when you renewed? Don't post it but just say you have one.

Hugh
Contributor
Itskervin

Omg ! it worked ! and yes I'm a American. And I bought a renewal subscription for my Norton. It finally works ! thank you so very much man! :smileyvery-happy:

huwyngr

Itskervin wrote:

Omg ! it worked ! and yes I'm a American. And I bought a renewal subscription for my Norton. It finally works ! thank you so very much man! :smileyvery-happy:

It would help to know which of the many steps made it work!

Do you mean that previusly you did not have a KEY or that you had not entered it or ......

Hugh
Contributor
Itskervin

The one that says 10:17 PM. And the solution was the one where you told me how system restore kinda messes the Norton up, and you gave me links to fix the problem :) I'm going to be thinking before I use system restore again lolx thank you so very much again.

huwyngr

Great to know that that was what did it for you.

I just posted a reminder on this over in a Windows Support forum I'm in where someone was suggesting a System Restore -- I don't see why it can't do the same for pretty well any serious AV program.

Hugh