Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Tim_Lopez
Topics: 352
Kudos: 1,510
Solutions: 889

Re: NAV Classic no more ...?!?!

Hello CeeBee,

Please keep in mind that if the installer detected that the 2011 products were not compatible with NSW 2003, that you shouldn't reinstall them. We only put the blocks on the installs if we find significant conflicts with the softwares. 

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Super Contributor
CeeBee

Please keep in mind that if the installer detected that the 2011 products were not compatible with NSW 2003, that you shouldn't reinstall them. We only put the blocks on the installs if we find significant conflicts with the softwares.

Tim,

Thanks for the warning.  It's probably the LiveUpdate module of NSW 2003 which gives NAV Classic 2010/2011 fits.  As there are no more updates to that product I suppose I could remove same (together with NSW's Live Registration).  Beats me why there should be a conflict with the Norton Utilities module/portion .. which I like and use all the time.

During the 1st install of NAV 2010 Classic, last may, I had to remove SW 2003 too (as mentioned, I believe).  After NAV 2010 Classic had been installed, I reinstalled NSW's NU module only .. and it has worked in harmony ever since.  That is, until this update.  I'm sure it will work okay again.  We'll see.  Again, thanks.  CBA

Tim_Lopez
Topics: 352
Kudos: 1,510
Solutions: 889

Hello CeeBee,

Just keep in mind that while reinstalling after you've installed 2011 is a workaround, you're working around a friendly warning that they should not be installed together. Please keep this in mind if you see ANY issues with either product. Also, be sure to disclose this on any future posts if you do have any issues. 

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Super Contributor
CeeBee

Just keep in mind that while reinstalling after you've installed 2011 is a workaround, you're working around a friendly warning that they should not be installed together. Please keep this in mind if you see ANY issues with either product....

Hi Tim,

Okay, understood.  I have run NAV 2010 Classic and the subsequently installed NSW 2003's NU modules on two computers since last May/June, and, to my knowledge, haven't had one hiccup, issue or conflict between the two.  I'll do my 2nd NAV 2011 Classic update tomorrow (on my Thinkpad 600X vintage 11/1999) and in case of an issue with NSW 2003 I'll let you know.  FYI.  Best, CBA

Super Contributor
CeeBee

Hello Tim,

After upgrading a couple of regular NAV to 2011 without any problems, AFTER removing NSW 2003 completely, I upgraded my 2nd NAV Classic computer to 2011.  It worked fine with one minor issue.

Here is the scenario: clicking on 'Performance' in the main screen I get a Performance screen without the customary 'Home + Swoshed Arrow' button (see attachment # 2b).  Moreover, there is a blue border on top with the XP style close window to the right (rather than NAV's own style).  Also, a 2nd instance of NAV is started (see attachment # 2c).

Other than that, everything works fine.  Note that this installation is on an old Thinkpad 600X computer with a 500MHz CPU, but that shouldn't make a difference, I presume?!  Any ideas to correct this?  I'm all ear.  Best, CBA

floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,025
Solutions: 361

Hello CeeBee

Here are the minimum requirements for NAV 2011

http://www.symantec.com/norton/antivirus

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Super Contributor
CeeBee

Hi floplot,

Thanks.  With XP/Sp3, 500MHz and 576MB I should be okay .. even with my 'oldtimer' Thinkpad.  Any ideas about the issue raised?  I have used NAV 2010 Classic for some time w/o this or any other problem.  The 'rest' of NAV 2011 Classic seems to run very well indeed.  Best, CBA