Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
yelserp87

NAV09 issue and NAV10 answer?

Ok so I am getting an issue related to Norton 09 Gaming ed. on my windows 7 64 bit RC 7100. Before I post the issue should I just start using Nav10 instead? Can I add my subscription to Nav10 beta and keep it until it comes out of beta? (I know in the past norton keys can be upgraded with software. So say if someone recently renewed their norton 04 they can download 09 and register with 04 key. Not sure if thats shady or suppose to be like that. Hence the really long parenthasis)

So my issue happens whenever I fullscreen a flash video. If I am watching a video on youtube and I maximize the screen (intermittently) explorer will crash and either be restarted or close my fullscreen. The issue does not appear in another browser but the event logs show the the error is comming from "Scxpx86.dll" which is part of symantec.

Now I am wondering if this is "gaming edition" related as its suppose to be optimized for fullscreen games or just nav related. I don't think its really caused by IE and have tried compatability mode ect. Also issue does not persist in safe mode with networking where norton is not fully loaded and running.
huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,865
Solutions: 380

Re: NAV09 issue and NAV10 answer?

I can't help you very much about the gaming edition but the following my be useful:

If you dowload and install NAV2010 or NIS 2010 public beta it will have a limited life since it is a beta and they normally have a key only valid for 14 days although sometimes that is extended if the next version is not ready. But when the beta test program is finished those KEYs will expire and no version of 2010 will be available until Windows 7 is released in October 22. So you would have to replace it then.

If your NAV Gaming edition does work on your WIN 7 RC then you will be better off keeping it since, although I cannot be certain that this will be done for the NAV GE version as welll as for the normal NAV, Norton hope to issue the updates for NIS/NAV 2009 and N360 V3 to make them fully compatible with WIndows 7 and so you will be OK until the 2010 ones do come out.

If there is a NAV 2010 GE then if your 2009 subscription is still in force you will be entitled to the free upgrade from 2009 to 2010.

I'll try and get someone from Norton to comment on the specific status of the Gaming Edition and timing.

Hang on for help on the actual problem you report also.

Hugh
PapauZ
Topics: 392
Kudos: 1,025
Solutions: 374

huwyngr wrote:

no version of 2010 will be available until Windows 7 is released in October 22. So you would have to replace it then.

Are you sure about this? Win7's RTM will be finished this month (only the selling for the public will begin at 22th October) and Symantec can test the 2010 products on that, so I think we will have the final 2010 products at the normal time it was released every last years (so around the beginning of September...).

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.3.0.12

Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Win7's RTM will be finished this month (only the selling for the public will begin at 22th October) and Symantec can test the 2010 products on that, so I think we will have the final 2010 products at the normal time it was released every last years (so around the beginning of September...).

I also agree to this, Norton 2010 products will be available around August/September, but the Win 7 compatible version of Norton 2010 products will be available only after the final release of Windows 7. This will be similar to what Symantec did with Norton 2007 products and Windows Vista. They released Norton 2007 products first, and when Microsoft released Windows Vista, Symantec released a separate patch/update for current users to migrate their products to Vista.

yelserp87

More info: It turns out whenever you go fullscreen, nav09ge automatically turns off Intrusion Prevention. Scxpx86.dll is the dll associated with "intrusion prevention". So I am thinking there is something not loading correctly or being disabled whenever I go full screen.

If they make a 2010 gaming edition I would hope this would not be an issue in that edition as well. Is there anyway I can submit a big report?

huwyngr

There tend to be fewer Symantec staff -- names in red -- here during the weekends and also I imagine they are increasingly busy with final stages of updating for WIN 7 and completing 2010's for RTM but I have asked for one to come in on your question about 2010GE since I don't recollect seeing an answer.

For a specific bug, I would start a new topic describing it specifically and asking if they want a submission of logs or anything like that (logging is default ON with the betas which accounts for some of the speed reduction people are commenting on).

Hugh
huwyngr

PapauZ wrote:

huwyngr wrote:

no version of 2010 will be available until Windows 7 is released in October 22. So you would have to replace it then.

Are you sure about this? Win7's RTM will be finished this month (only the selling for the public will begin at 22th October) and Symantec can test the 2010 products on that, so I think we will have the final 2010 products at the normal time it was released every last years (so around the beginning of September...).

I have already answered your question every time you have asked it and my answer would be the same.

My reply is based on what Symantec Staff have repeatedly said. If you want more ask one of them.

Hugh
huwyngr

Yogesh,

You may be perfectly correct in what you write but my replies on this are based on what Symantec Staff have repeatedly said and I do not recollect any public statement by them that 2010 will be on sale in August / September. The usual reply on future releases is that NIS/NAV usually comes out around October and N360 in the spring.

I am completely unaware of any statement by them that 2010 will be released for sale before WIN 7.

Hugh
PapauZ
Topics: 392
Kudos: 1,025
Solutions: 374

[ Edited ]

huwyngr wrote:

The usual reply on future releases is that NIS/NAV usually comes out around October and N360 in the spring.

Last year NAV/NIS was released at 9th September: http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=7127
And 2008 was released the year before in August: http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20070828_01

Edit: do you mean by this October date the boxed version, or the download? Because as in Tim's post we can read, the boxed version is always released later a bit...
Message Edited by PapauZ on 07-13-2009 12:09 AM

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.3.0.12

huwyngr

I mean what I have said -- which is based on what has been posted here by Symantec. What happened last year is no predictor of what will happen this year since the circumstances are totally different.

I am not going to add to this since it gets noone anywhere except to increase message count.

Hugh