Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor

NIS 20.2.0.19 disappearing.

Since installing the latest version i have had two instances of NIS just 'disappearing'.  Clicking on the icon does nothing and the icon has gone from the tool bar.  After a reboot it returns and all is well again, but for how long.  why is this occuring?  It has NEVER happened with the earlier version.  How does this occur?  if I am away from the pc am I risk from a virus attack?

peterweb
Kudos: 1,368
Solutions: 342

Re: NIS 20.2.0.19 disappearing.

MilesRight wrote:

Since installing the latest version i have had two instances of NIS just 'disappearing'.  Clicking on the icon does nothing and the icon has gone from the tool bar.  After a reboot it returns and all is well again, but for how long.  why is this occuring?  It has NEVER happened with the earlier version.  How does this occur?  if I am away from the pc am I risk from a virus attack?

If you check the task manager, you should still see an instance of ccSvcHst.exe running under System. This is the actual virus protection. When things are working properly, you will see at least one move instance listed under your user name. This is the instance for the Norton User Interface. There have been instances reported of this happening, but you are still protected. You just cannot access the interface.

Make sure you have run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

What operating system and service pack are you using?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
ihaveit

Re: NIS 20.2.0.19 disappearing.

Similar issue:

The systray icon disappears and cannot be brought back after waking from hibernation AND switching users. Reboot needed. The problem affects identically two of my PCs running WinXPSP3 but not a 3rd one with Win7.

Regards