Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Spyware Scolder
jarrycanada
Accepted Solution

NIS 2011 crash with new Foxit PDF viewer

[ Edited ]

I updated my copy of foxit to 5.1 last night and as soon as I installed the new version it crashed NIS2011, in windows xp pro. I did all of the scans and it found nothing but scared the hell out of me. because all the norton services in task manger just disapreed and no error message was to be at hand. Up on reboot it was like nothing ever happened.

anyone else have this problem? or would like to try installing the new foxit PDF viewer 5.1.

I've also ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware,SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition. also uploaded it to virustotal, clean bill of heath.

I tested it again today and it does the same thing up on installing.strange.

I should add, that the program it's self works fine once you have it installed and reboot but that first install is a buggy one.

PC_confused
Topics: 115
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 27

Re: NIS 2011 crash with new Foxit PDF viewer

Hello jarrycanada and is Foxit PDF viewer and the Foxit Reader the same thing?  I ask because I updated to version 5.0.2.0718 and didn't have any problem.  I am also running Windows XP Pro.

Spyware Scolder
jarrycanada

[ Edited ]

ya the same program, not thinking right. Foxit Reader but your using the old one, 5.0, try the new one FoxitReader510.1021_enu_Setup.exe

The old version didn't do it, and when I downloaded the new version with the update it crashed. so I scanned my system and installed the old version everything was fine. so I downloaded the new version from Cnet this time and it  crashed again. this is the full program and not the Cnet downloader, that you get if you are not a member and don't click just download the program.

I am a little mixed up right now.

PC_confused

I clicked on check for new updates and it didn't show any update for 5.1??  I'll keep looking.

Spyware Scolder
jarrycanada

it just came out two days ago, maybe not showing up because of that. look at foxit's site it's up and ready to download.

MD5 600DCB4799449A31A34D9D1CD07FF47A

Spyware Scolder
jarrycanada

BTW that updater is a waste of time anyway because it has to uninstall the product in a way that makes you wounder why didn't I just download the new verison and manual update it in the first place that way I can scan it before it runs it. I am sorry I am really getting into a rant about this.

PC_confused

jarrycanada, sorry to say it, but I went to the FoxIt web site and downloaded version 5.1.0.1021 from there.  Like you said they recommended I remove the old version before installing the new version, I don't know why I had to select yes.   I didn't have any problems with the install.  Would you want to check the filehippo site, to see if maybe there was something wrong on the cnet site?

Spyware Scolder
jarrycanada

[ Edited ]

same Hash id as the main site as Cnets so it's most likely the same file. 600DCB4799449A31A34D9D1CD07FF47A. I'll try it on another computer and see what happens. are you using NIS 2011 or 2012?  

I didn't insall the Ask bar or the view PDF's in firefox/chrome. as i don't like that stuff being viewed in a browser. I view PDF"s alwasy off line and I like to scann them first. well thanks for looking anyway.

I didn't reboot when it said to once I uninstalled it. Maybe that was it.

PC_confused

I'm using NIS 2011, I also had to uncheck the Ask and Foxit toolbars and I didn't do a reboot after the install.  I did a reboot after makeing sure everything was working first, just to see if maybe something wasn't loading correctly.  Even after the reboot, Foxit worked just fine.  I do like the new Full screen icon in the upper right corner.  Easier on old eyes.

lmacri
Kudos: 537

[ Edited ]

Hi jarrycanada:

I've been using Foxit Reader for a few years now, but when I read the latest change log here and saw all the bloat they added to v. 5.1.0 (including integration with Facebook and Twitter) I decided it was finally time to scrap Foxit and switch to the free PDF-XChange Viewer v. 2.5. 

I've had a few problems with Foxit Reader installations in the past and I got in the habit of performing a clean install for every release by first uninstalling my old Foxit version with the free Revo Uninstaller v. 1.93 - the aggressive mode of Revo always cleans about 20 registry entries and orphaned files that the Foxit uninstaller always leaves behind, as long as you choose the Select All button to accept all the cleaning that Revo suggests.

I don't know if a complete wipe with the Revo Uninstaller would help you or if it's one of the new features in Foxit Reader v. 5.1.0 that's the problem.

-------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 7.0.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS