Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Newboy999
Topics: 9
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 0

NIS 2012 - Convert trial to full

Hi:

I have been a user of NIS for a few years now. Took out a new 3 user licence for 2011 last year and 2 licences were installed on XP 32 bit machines. Both machines were recently upgraded to NIS2012

Just purchased a new Win 7 64 bit HP desktop which has a 60 day trial for NIS2012 preloaded.

Can I just enter the remaining "unused" key I already have to convert the trial to a full version on the HP or should I  uninstall and reinstall?

Thanks

Dinesh_Bhalaji
Kudos: 28
Solutions: 10

Re: NIS 2012 - Convert trial to full

Hi Newboy999,

You need not uninstall the NIS 2012 from the computer to use the remaining license. All you have to do would to click on "Subscribe" or "Renew" button next to the subscription days shown on the bottom of the Norton. Once you do that you will be given a option to enter the Product key in it. It will get you the same days as on the other computer.

Also once you do that the days remaining on the new laptop will be replaced with the days on the Norton you enter and cannot be retrieved.

Please let us know if you have any issues

Regards,

Dinesh Bhalaji
twixt
Topics: 9
Kudos: 146
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 17

Re: NIS 2012 - Convert trial to full

Newboy999 wrote:

Hi:

I have been a user of NIS for a few years now. Took out a new 3 user license for 2011 last year and 2 licenses were installed on XP 32 bit machines. Both machines were recently upgraded to NIS2012

Just purchased a new Win 7 64 bit HP desktop which has a 60 day trial for NIS2012 preloaded.

Can I just enter the remaining "unused" key I already have to convert the trial to a full version on the HP or should I  uninstall and reinstall?

Thanks

Hi, newboy.  If you contact product support using Symantec's online support chat function - they have the ability to add the time on your trial to the total days for your existing subscription - or they may want to do it the other way around.  It is also possible to do this extension process by contacting product support by voice telephone.

The problem will be if your new laptop trial is only a 1-license product - and your existing product is a 3-license product.  I do not know the standard procedure for how that gets handled - but I do know I was able to add the existing time left on a previous 3-license product on a client's main machine to a new subscription for a 3-license product bought for a laptop as part of its standard package from the manufacturer (Sony).  Ask if you can do things in both directions - whichever product key will give you the longest timeframe when the info from the other is added to the one Symantec will permit to be extended.

Hope this helps.