Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
vienna10

Re: NIS 2012 - Quick Idle Time Scans - Strange Activity

Hi AllenM,

yes I do have SP3 on all XP machines. The reason I don't have SP1 on Windows 7 is because m2ts and ts videos no longer function in WMP, or WMC after SP1 is installed. I do have about 1000 ts movies. However, I guess this doesn't belong here in this discussion.

One of the notebooks has Windows 7 SP1 installed, where the said activity is also present

Symantec Employee
avanip

Hello,

I just wanted to update this thread along with the other related threads that we are aware of the problem and I am working on getting this resolved. I will update this thread once the fix goes into an update that is available to the user-base for download.

Thank you everyone for the detailed posts here, which made it easier for me to debug the issue.

Best Regards,

Avani Patel

Software Engineer, Core Performance Team, Symantec Corporation

Atomic_Blast
Kudos: 219
Solutions: 39

Hi avanip:

Thank you for your response.

I'm sure that with your expertise, this issue will be quickly resolved.

Atomic_Blast :)

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."
Atomic_Blast
Kudos: 219
Solutions: 39

Hi all:

Booted up my XP box today and upon coming in to the Desktop, I noticed some HDD Thrashing.

I was warmly greeted 30 seconds later by Idle Time Quick Scan message that no threats were detected.

FWIW

Atomic_Blast :)

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."
Frstrtd_User

I am having the same issue.  Giving me fits!  Looks like the last post to this thread was early October.  Has anyone heard anything about a resolution?  This bug is killing me.

AllenM
Topics: 227
Kudos: 2,160
Solutions: 379

Frstrtd_User wrote:

I am having the same issue.  Giving me fits!  Looks like the last post to this thread was early October.  Has anyone heard anything about a resolution?  This bug is killing me.

Hi Frstrtd_User,

Welcome to the Norton Community.

At this point I can only say that Symantec is working on this problem and will be releasing an update to resolve it but I cannot say when this will be.

If this is really getting in your way of using your computer and you can't hold off for the fix, let us know and we can help you to downgrade back to 2011. You could then upgrade back to 2012 when this is resolved.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Symantec Employee
avanip

Hello Everyone,

I have some good news for everyone on this thread! An update that contains a fix for this issue has been released today. Please run liveupdate on your respective machines and download version 19.2.0.10.

This will ensure that you don't run into this issue again.

Thanks everyone!

Best Regards,

Avani Patel

Software Engineer, Core Performance Team, Symantec Corporation

Visitor
garyl154

I have tried all of the above suggestions including a clean install and running live update to insure that I am running the latest version (19.2.0.10). The cpu utilizatiion of is still ridiculously high. As a matter of fact, as I am writing this post, I received a Performance Alert from Norton. I am running Windows 7 64 bit; AMD Turion II P54o Dual-Core Processor 2.40 GHz. 4.00 GB RAM. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gary

lmacri
Kudos: 704

[ Edited ]

Hi garyl154:

The issue reported in this thread with Idle Quick Scans running outside of idle mode was supposedly fixed by the NIS 2012 v. 19.2.0.10 product update (see Dave Coleman's post here titled Issues Fixed in Version 19.2).

It's a bit unusual to see performance alerts for the Symantec Service Framework (ccSvcHst.exe) if NIS is installed correctly because performance alerts are not displayed when your computer is in idle or Silent mode, and most of the activity by ccSvcHst.exe normally occurs when NIS is performing background idletime tasks.  Did you perform a clean re-install using the Norton Removal Tool exactly as described here?  Users in that thread thought that simply choosing the option to keep settings from their previous installation prevented a clean re-install.

Do you have more than one anti-virus program installed on your PC (e.g., Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot Search & Destroy, AVG Free Edition, etc.) that is running in real-time protection mode?  Most security software manufacturers recommend that you only use one security program to handle your real-time protection.  I've even heard of users who uninstalled security software like McAfee or AVG before installling NIS, and they ran into problems like you're seeing because they didn't use a removal tool to remove all traces of their old security software.

It would be helpful if you could post a screenshot of your Norton Tasks window (Performance | Tasks) showing what your CPU consumption looks like during one of these performance alerts for ccSvcHst.exe (see here for posting instructions).  If you click your mouse in the upper graph a pop-up might tell you if any other processes were running on your machine, and the Last Run time in the lower table might tell you if any Norton idle tasks were running at the time.  You can also use the zoom feature to review CPU usage as far back as one month.  I have NIS 2011 and my computer froze temporarily last night because the Norton Insight task was running during idle and and I think I interrupted the task while it was trying to download updated trust rating from the Symantec servers.

NIS High CPU Outside Idle.jpg

If you can see the Windows svchost.exe and explorer.exe processes running at the same time as ccSvcHst.exe, you may even have a known memory leak bug in your Windows OS (see here).

Also be aware that a performance alert for ccSvcHst.exe may not be a serious problem if the high CPU usage spikes quickly and does not affect your system performance (e.g., system freezing, slow Internet browsing).  You have a dual core processor and the text file of the performance alert you attached in message # 48 states "CPU 97% of at least one CPU."

For more troubleshoooting tips for high CPU usage, see Symantec employee reese_anschultz's post here on how to use Microsoft's Process Explorer to monitor process threads.  In order to use the Stack button with ccSvcHst.exe it's important that you following his instructions and temporarily turn off Norton Product Tamper Protection (Settings | Miscellaneous Settings | Product Protection | Norton Product Tamper Protection) first.

Process Explorer Stack.jpg

-------------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Phishing Phryer
avjohnnie

Two Issues NOT fixed in version 19.2

...Below is a list of fixes that have been included in the 19.2 patch. These are not all of the fixes, only the major ones that have affected the most users.

- Quick Scan should do a better job of detecting the idle state of a system before running."

Nope – No perceivable change on this one. Quick scans still run regardless of current foreground activity (just as they did in all previous 19.1.x releases)…

- Corrected several Browser/Toolbar crashes when using IE, Chrome and Firefox. (Filling forms or Credit cards on some sites was crashing and is now corrected in addition to other reported crashes.)

Nope again – Many websites still cause IE9 browser tab/window freezes just as they did before with the 19.1.x releases.  In our testing, at least one cause of these freezes stems from conflicts between the NIS2012 browser plugins and the browser plugins of other suppliers – one specifically conflicting plugin being the current Realplayer IE9 browser plugin.

Regards,

John Burns

Software Research