Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
potomacpctech

NIS 2012 Scheduling (and in general) is Horrible!

NIS 2012 uses less resources but otherwise it is a nightmare and makes IT professional waste time searching through the new interface for the exact same features that were easily accesible in 2011 and below.  Other than wasting my time, my biggest issue is the change to the scheduling in 2012. 

1st of all, it doesn't add a scheduled task to the Windows Task Scheduler so I assume 2012 is maintaining its own schedule.  2nd, the ability to schedule a monthly take on the "1st Monday of the Month" (for example) has been removed and this is a HORRIBLE decision.  I am now forced to select a day of the month such as 1, 2 ,3 and this can fall on any day of the week.  This is how 360 was designed and was always a limitation for configuring automated maintenance for small businesses.  The goal is to run all tasks on a given day, not all tasks except for Norton scans which will run on the 1st of the month regardless of what day this falls on.

I have roughly 1,000 seats installed and unless I received a reasonable response to these issues, I will not renew with Norton and instead will move to a competitive product.  I am a faithful customer of Norton and have been for years but this release is a disgrace and is a classic example of developers influencing a design moreso than making changes based on consumer feedback.

The questions again:

1.  Is 2012 using the Windows task scheduler or is Norton maintaining a separate task engine?

2.  How can a task be scheduled to run on the 1st Monday, Tuesday, etc. of the month?

Super Phishing Phryer
drshlomo

Re: NIS 2012 Scheduling (and in general) is Horrible!

[ Edited ]

potomacpctech Hi,

What's this about 1000?  Is this intended as a threat so that the Norton team will immediately change everything to your specs?  Change to another security program, if you wish, but you do so at your and your customers peril.  No well written program can be perfect for everyone but this one is excellent for nearly every one of us, especially those volunteers who have spent months making suggestions to the Norton team, who patiently listen to each and every comment and then decide to proceed, after carefully considering the merits of the issues involved.

What is your complaint about Norton scans?  Surely these run automatically and frequently, not once a month as you suggest.

The Norton team have a introduced a simple interface for those who basically want the program to be self sufficient, and an Advanced interface where the more knowledgeable can modify items as they wish.  Surely this benefits us all.

Take another look and then write a happier and more understanding précis of all the wonderful aspects of NIS 2012.

drshlomo. 

[edit: Please keep post content courteous per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]

michaell
Topics: 4
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 14

[ Edited ]

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having potomacpctech. NIS 2012 did move away from Windows Task Scheduler because scans would not occur if the user was not logged in and now uses the Norton Job Manager to schedule and run these types of scans. As for the using WIndows Task Scheduler you can still do that actually, you just wont be able to do it through the UI. You can launch any scans using the Navw32 process. It is located in the here generally {Program Files Dir]\Norton Internet Security\Engine\[Build Number]. Here is a link to the various command line options for navw32.

Contributor
potomacpctech

Another related question, does the Norton Scheduler integrate with Windows 7 properly so it can wake a computer to perform a task?  This is for consumers more than businesses but many of the schedulers I have seen written outside of the MS Scheduler do not integrate with the wake functionality.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor
Dustyn

I'm not too sure why you're using NIS to begin with rather than using Endpoint Protection.

Have you considered using a Symantec product that's actually aimed at the small business user?  http://www.symantec.com/business/solutions/smallbusiness/index.jsp

Just a suggestion.

Tim_Lopez
Topics: 353
Kudos: 1,512
Solutions: 890

All,

Please remain friendly on these forums per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.

Hi potomacpctech,

So, would you have to reconfigure the Scan Scheduling after every update with the previous version? All the previous scheduling consisted of was NIS configuring the Command Scans with Windows Task Scheduler, so it's basically the same result just cutting out the middleman. 

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
michaell
Topics: 4
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 14

There is a work arround to this problem. What  you can do is schedule a scan to occur every x days. So if you wanted the scans to happen every Monday just set the schedule on monday to occur every 28 days. That means will always happen every four weeks and will always happen on the same day of the week.

Contributor
potomacpctech

Michaell,

Thanks, thanks is helpful.  No ideal but still a workaround.

Contributor
potomacpctech

Tim,

There was a bug in 2009 that would break all schedules whenever the engine was updated.  I reported this and worked closely with Symantec until it was resolved.  2010 did not have this problem and neither did 2011.

I assume the fix was for NIS to verify if a schedule existed and to change the engine path in the schedule during the upgrade process.  I assume this because NIS continues to change the engine directory name with each update but the schedules continue to work.

If you create a manual task then NIS is not going to verify and change the engine path in the task so it will be broken.  Basically it will go back to the way 2009 broke schedule with each update because the upgrade process did not update the path.

Does this make sense?

Also, please reply to my question about the NIS Scheduler integrating with the Windows 7 "wake" feature.

Contributor
potomacpctech

Dustyn,

Valid point but I had many problems with EndPoint in the past and NIS was a better solution.  I deal with small businesses ranging from 3-25 users so management of NIS is not really an issue.  Do you have recent experiences with EndPoint and if so, have you been happy with the current product offering compared to NIS?