Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
nmkef
Accepted Solution

NIS 2012 blocks Java applications from accessing the internet

[ Edited ]

Hi, so I noticed when I was trying to play the game Minecraft (which is written in Java) that it was giving me errors related to a denied internet connection.  After some normal troubleshooting steps, I found that the issue was Norton. (a computer without Norton installed did not have the connection issue)   Upon further investigation, I found that it was not just Minecraft but any Java application, such as a web IRC client, that was unable to connect.

I have attempted to set exceptions for the Minecraft exe, Java exes, and even disable the firewall completely, but it still errors out whenever any Java application tries to access the internet.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Java as well as restarted my computer.

Windows 7 x64

EDIT: Suspecting that the issue could be Norton Online Family, even though it is not administering this account.  I will to work it out tomorrow.

Contributor
pcah9

Re: NIS 2012 blocks Java applications from accessing the internet

I Totally agree with you ,NIS 2012 is blocking any access to Yahoo Games,Chess, Bridge....etc etc.

This is whilst running IE9 in 32 Bit.

If i use 64 Bit IE9 everything loads and works perfectly.

This is using Java 6 Update 27.

lmacri
Kudos: 706

[ Edited ]

mnkef / pcah9:

When you open your Add-on Manager in your 32-bit IE9 (Tools | Manager Add-ons | Toolbars and Extensions | All Add-ons) are all your Norton and Java extensions enabled?  Please note that I have NIS 2011 and Java 7.0, so the version numbers for your 32-bit IE9 extensions will not be the same as the screenshot below.

If you have the Firefox browser installed on your PC, does Java appear to run correctly from Firefox?

IE9 NIS and Java Add-ons.jpg

------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 6.0 * Java 7.0 (v. 1.7.0.0)
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Contributor
pcah9

The following are all enabled in IE 32 Bit:-Java plug-in 1.6.0_27.........Deployment Toolkit.....Java plug in ssv helper.....Norton toolbar....Norton Identity protection.......Norton vulnerability protection.

It is still happening on a regular basis but 64 Bit IE runs perfectly.

lmacri
Kudos: 706

[ Edited ]

nmkef / pcah9:

You can also try opening 32-bit IE9 and checking your Java installation at http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp.  This should tell you if your Java browser plugins are working correctly in 32-bit IE9 and whether your browser detects the recommended version of Java (currently Java 6 Update 27).

This won't really provde any useful information, however, if  some feature like Identity Safe or the parental controls in NIS 2012/Norton Online Family is blocking Java on specific web sites like Facebook, etc.

-------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 6.0 * Java 7.0 (v. 1.7.0.0)
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Contributor
pcah9

[ Edited ]

Java is installed and working correctly as verified by the link in your reply.

I do not have online family/parental controls enabled at all.

MagnusLindh
Topics: 9
Kudos: 23
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 5

Hey.

A question, have you checked Norton History Logs to see if you can find any clues to why your programs are being blocked?

did you have the same problem with earlier versions of NIS, or is this a new problem for you?

have you tried to uninstall Java from your computer and restart your computer and reinstall Java and see if the problem is still thier.

Good Luck

Contributor
pcah9

NIS 2011 worked flawlessly no problems whatsoever.

This problem only arose after firstly upgrading to NIS 2012 then installing Java update 27.

I have uninstalled Java 3 times and reinstalled it,it is verified working ok.

As stated 64 Bit IE9 is perfect with java,in the 32 Bit i have tried everything except uninstalling and reinstalling NIS 2012 but i do not know if it is NIS 2012 conflicting with Java OR Java conflicting with NIS 2012......as both have been updated and nothing else on my computer has changed except for Tuesdays windows updates.

Visitor
nmkef

The Norton history does not show any sign of blocking any of the Java applications.

When accessing the Java test page from any browser it errors instantly.

Visitor
nmkef

Uninstalling the latest Java (1.7.0.0) and replacing it with 1.6.0.26 fixed the issue.