Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
JohnnyDee

NIS-2012 blocks Skype

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Ihave been using Norton products since atleast 25 years. Yep, I loved the Commander. At the moment I am using Win7 and Norton Internet Security 2012.

After a fresh install (used all standard settings for NIS) something new happenen to my Skype connection.

Norton Smart Firewall had decided to block Skype and there fore Skype can not sign in :-(

I am flabbergasted. Why does NIS not recognize this very popular programm ? What went wrong ? Certaily the NIS programmers have heard of Skype before ?!

Kind regards and thanks for your help

Johnny

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Re: NIS-2012 blocks Skype

It should not do and it works ok for me.

Goto settings, network, smart firewall, program control configure, reset skype to auto or force "allow"

Visitor
JohnnyDee

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your repy. Too bad there is no AUTO setting., just "Allow" and "Block" (translated words, I have a non-us version)

Allowing is ofcourse possible but not a secure method. Because if Norton does not recognise this as a reliable Skype version how could I ? Just checking the filename and location and then deciding all is ok sounds like a method from the previous century.

Is there a fix making NIS recognise Skype ?

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

You can also go to the settings and delete the entry for Skype. Then restart your computer, start Skype again and NIS should automatically set permissions.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
JohnnyDee

Thanks for the help Peter

Just did what you suggested.

I switched off Skype, delete the Smart Firewall Entry for Skype , switched off the PC, switch on the PC

But the Smart Firewall decided to block Skype again :-(

nikki605
Topics: 14
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

NIS 2012 (19.6.2.10) does NOT block Skype on my PC either.  Are you sure it's Norton's Smart Firewall blocking Skype?  Have you tried temporarily turning off the Smart Firewall to see if Skype now works?

--------------------------------------------------
Gary
Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

JohnnyDee wrote:

Thanks for your repy. Too bad there is no AUTO setting., just "Allow" and "Block" (translated words, I have a non-us version)

Is there a fix making NIS recognise Skype ?

In the US version we have "allow""block, custom and auto. 4 choices.

So if your non us version does not have this I think this is worth a separate post and ask for a Symantec employee to respond.

I see no reason this is excluded. So if you do not have custom then you really are limited in my opinion.

What country version is yours?

As I say there is not a general issue, so unless it relates to your version, there is no fix generally needed so far as I can see.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

What version of NIS are you running? Support-About.

Maybe Symantec support via online chat can help. www.norton.com/chat

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
mitzu

Visitor
JohnnyDee

[ Edited ]

Hi All !,

THANKS for all your help and suggestions !

Quoting seems impossible in these forums (I tried to fugure it out for 10 minutes and then gave up) so I have put the quoted text in BOLD.

- - What version of NIS are you running? Support-About.

- -  Install latest version of skype 5.8.0.158

I have that version installed. According to Skype that is the latest

- - What country version is yours?

It does not say. But I bought it in the Netherlands and it is in the Dutch language

Versie: 19.6.2.10
Serienummer: [Removed]
Eindpunt-id: [Removed]
LiveUpdate-kanaal: Traditional
Huidige SKU: [Removed]
Familie-SKU: [Removed]
Media-SKU: [Removed]

- -  Are you sure it's Norton's Smart Firewall blocking Skype?

Yes, after switching the smart firewall off, Skype is able to connected within 2 seconds

And ofcourse the firewall itself states (in the programm list) it has blocked Skype , so absolutely 200% sure that Norton blocks Skype

- - In the US version we have "allow""block, custom and auto. 4 choices.

There is no autosetting for this Skype programm (it IS available for other programms), that is why Skype is blocked. But I DO have the other 3 options.

- -  I think this is worth a separate post and ask for a Symantec employee to respond.

I have emailed Symantes as well, but it has been about 5 days now and I did not get any response :-(

But why anothyer post ? Post the same stuff again ? These are the Norton forum so I assumen Symantec em[loyees are reading these forums too ?!?!?!

[Edit: Masking Serial number and SKU to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]