Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,683
Solutions: 759

Re: NIS-2012 blocks Skype

[ Edited ]

Hi JohnnyDee,

Some misconfiguration in your Norton Firewall rules may be causing Skype to be blocked.  As others have mentioned, the firewall under normal conditions should not be interfering with Skype.  Try resetting the firewall to its default configuration to undo any unintended rules that may be causing this.  Open the Norton window and click Settings > Network > Smart Firewall.  Click Advanced Settings Configure[+] and click the Firewall Reset option.

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Re: NIS-2012 blocks Skype

JohnnyDee wrote:

But why anothyer post ? Post the same stuff again ? These are the Norton forum so I assumen Symantec em[loyees are reading these forums too ?!?!?!

Contributors marked "Guru" and so designated by Norton, are able to communicate in other ways with Symantec and ensure that your msg is drawn to their attention. There is no guarantee but sometimes a more speedy response is possible. Not all staff can read all the posts every day.

Visitor
JohnnyDee

GURU Re: NIS-2012 blocks Skype

[ Edited ]

I have reset and reinstalled the firewall several times and found the solution.

Cause:

- I have a wireless phone docking station connected to my PC

- A little programm named IPblabla connects that hardware to Skype and uses Skype

( screenshot: chfjgd.PNG )

- When a fresh firewall (Skype not yet detectet) notices that IPblabla tries to to use Slype it does not block that programm but it blocks Skype

Workarounds:

I have 2 workarounds:

workaround 1 

- Close&exit Skyp and IPblabla

- Delete the Skype entry from the smart firewall

- Start Skype so the firewall sets skype to automatic (when IPblabla is started before Skype the result is a blocked Skype)

- Now start IP blabla

- Skype stays working trouble free, problem solved

- From now on my system works ok even when at startup IPblabla and Skype autostart (even when IPblabla starts first)

workaround 2 

Set Skype smart firewall to "allow". As mentioned by several people in this thread,

Comments:

Of course solution number one is a trick which Norton should not allow, but apparently the smart firewall is not so smart afterall :-)  Does this mean any programm can now use Skype without the smartfirewall sounding the alarms ?

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Re: GURU Re: NIS-2012 blocks Skype

Well done, give yourself a kudos! he he!. Please mark the problem solved.

Please do not post personal details like serial numbers.

Visitor
JohnnyDee

[ Edited ]

Problem is not solved in my opnion, I only found a workaround.. This workaround uses a loophole which should not be allowed by a smart firte wall.

I do not understand you remark about serial numbers.

MehulBhai
Topics: 22
Kudos: 45
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 7

Simply put, if you post Serial Numbers of your product in public forums, then somebody may misuse the same and you may lose your balance subscriptions, if any.

Visitor
JohnnyDee

Ah, ok, thanks for the explanation, only now I notice my post has been edited. Had no reason to read my old post once more so I never noticed.  I never knew serial numbers where that important.  I thought only the key should be kept secret.

Might be a good idea that the admin not just edits a message but also informs the user that he has done so, and why he has done iso.

Common courtesy I would say

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

I asked the moderator to amend the msg. The moderator has explained why and has marked that he has done so within the original post. I am not sure more than that is warranted. After all it is your mistake and you needed to comply with the participation guidelines.

Most people would be grateful for the pick up.

twixt
Topics: 8
Kudos: 141
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 16

JohnnyDee wrote:

Problem is not solved in my opinion, I only found a workaround.. This workaround uses a loophole which should not be allowed by a smart fire wall.

I do not understand you remark about serial numbers.

Hi, Johnny.  What you need to do is get Symantec to add IPblabla to their firewall database with the correct parameters.

Once that is done, and Symantec have done their homework properly, NIS will be able to detect the use of IPblabla and

add the correct info to the Symantec Firewall to permit passthrough using IPblabla.  Then, the firewall will not see the Skype activity as "suspicious" during the detection phase - and thereby block Skype.

Symantec need to have a "signature" for a clean version of IPblabla to allow automatic configuration.  They can figure this all out - but you have to bring the program to their attention so its activity can be added to the Symantec Configuration Database for the Norton Firewall section of Norton Internet Security.

The usual way to do this is to report a "false positive".  Symantec will investigate - determine what is going on - and tell you whether or not they can deal with the situation automatically or not.  You will get a report on the results of their investigation by email.  Go to the Symantec "Report a false Positive" website and follow the instructions found there.

Report a false Positive" website:    https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

There you go.  :smileyhappy:

Visitor
JohnnyDee

Thank all for your replies

For me it comes down to this: A programm that is not allowed by the smart fire wall can be masked by skype

That is worries me. What if there is a programm that wants to do bad things ?

Will try to report a falso positive on the page you mentioned

Regarding the serial numbers. For me it is common courtesy that when a moderator or admin edits the message of a user that person informs the poster of the message.