Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
wagygirl

NIS 2012 keep disabling my java

I installled a java update [7 update 9] and NIS disabled it, saying it "blocked/removed a trojan"- java.something. It removed a crucial part of the program. Some are in quarantine others are blocked/removed.

Now I can't use my computer, Why doesn't it put it in quarantine so I can decide whether or not I want it remobed??!

Now when I uninstall and reinstall java, it won't work.

Kudos: 1,445
Solutions: 360

Re: NIS 2012 keep disabling my java

Try running a full system scan in Safe Mode.

I would also suggest a second opinion scan using the FREE version of Malwarebytes. You can find it here http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

It might also help us diagnose your problem if you tell us your operating system and service pack, and the Version number of yur NIS. Support - About.

Let us know if anything is found.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
wagygirl

[ Edited ]

I ran a full scan by MalwareBytes- found nothing.

I ran a full scan by IObit Malware Fighter- found nothing.

I ran a full scan by SUPERAntispyware Free Edition- found nothing.

I ran a full scan by Kapersky's TDSS rootkit removing tool- found nothing.

I do NOT run all of these programs at the same time, so don't worry about that.

I usually run Norton Internet Security 2012 and IObit Malware Fighter.

I run scans by the others weekly and separately.

My computer is Windows 7 SP1, IE9.

I can't run anything in safe mode. I use dial-up.

[ Edited ]

Where did you download Java from? Was it the official site? www.java.com

*EDIT* - I recommend completely uninstalling all versions of Java, then deleting the "C:\Users\Amber\AppData\LocalLow\Sun" folder. The folder AppData is hidden so you will need to show hidden files and folders. If you don't know how to do this then just ask. Also, if you have a separate Administrator account, delete the same folder: "C:\Users\%Administrator%\AppData\LocalLow\Sun".

After this, reinstall Java from the official site.

Win8.1 | NIS 21 | NSM | MBAM Pro | Spybot S&D | SpywareBlaster | KeyScrambler Prem | Secunia PSI | TrueCrypt | CCleaner | JV16 PowerTools | PerfectDisk Pro
// NIS Settings: Aggressive Heuristics / Aggressive SONAR / Aggressive Boot Time ~ www.needGod.com
Spyware Scolder
SecurePC

[ Edited ]

Also, you might want to give Comodo Cleanup Essentials a try. I recently downloaded a program that IE10 & Chrome warned as being malicious but NIS, MBAM, Spybot S&D, McAfee Stinger, & AVZ all said was safe, but Comodo Cleanup Essentials found the malware. However, since Norton is detecting your virus it likely won't find anything. Or, you could try uploading the file to www.virustotal.com.

Win8.1 | NIS 21 | NSM | MBAM Pro | Spybot S&D | SpywareBlaster | KeyScrambler Prem | Secunia PSI | TrueCrypt | CCleaner | JV16 PowerTools | PerfectDisk Pro
// NIS Settings: Aggressive Heuristics / Aggressive SONAR / Aggressive Boot Time ~ www.needGod.com
Contributor
wagygirl

[ Edited ]

I always download java from java.com

I have done a complete uninstall using Revo Uninstaller. Then a reinstall.

Java keeps telling me either: I don't have java installed or my java is an older version.

Verify java version: You have an older version of java installed, please install the newest version [doesn't tell me which version IS installed like it's supposed to].

Test whether java is working: Cannot find java on your computer, please install it now.

This started AFTER Norton started blocking and removing portions of it.

I can uninstall/reinstall and I get the same error messages.

After uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller using Comprehensive Uninstall mode.

Then reinstalling. My java now works. Confirmation of version and java is working.

On my firewall I have java as "allow".

Why would Norton start messing with my java? Will it do it again?

How do I add java to ignore list?

Kudos: 1,445
Solutions: 360

wagygirl wrote:

I can't run anything in safe mode. I use dial-up.

Are you able to enter Safe Mode?  Constantly pressing F8 while rebooting the computer until a boot menu showing Safe Mode as an option.

You should then be able to run a full system scan with Norton.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Spyware Scolder
SecurePC

[ Edited ]
It sounds to me like there are files &/or registry entries left behind that are causing problems. There is a program called JavaRa that removes files and registry entries from old versions of Java. It has been a while since I have used the program so it is a "use at your own risk": http://singularlabs.com/software/javara/
Spyware Scolder
SecurePC

^BTW, make sure you click the link to download JavaRa and not that 7Zip Ad right below it.^
Contributor
wagygirl

After uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller using Comprehensive Uninstall mode.Then reinstalling.

My java now works. Confirmation of java version and confirmation java is working from java.com

Question:

On my NIS firewall I have java as "allow".

Why would Norton start messing with my java?

Will it do it again?

How do I add java to ignore list?