Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
h8Windoze

NIS 2012 won't run on Vista

Hello, Upgraded from NIS 2011 to NIS 2012 on Vista Box. Installation was fine. However, it seems NIS kills the network connection after restart and continued installation so it can't connect to LU or validate itself. Error 8506, 422 was listed. Tried registry hack and resetting Winsock. Still had issue with network. If the network connection was not dead, NIS could connect to internet, run LU and fix the error issue. Uninstalled NIS 2012 and returned to NIS 2011. It seems NIS 2012 won't run, and kills network on my Vista Box. Any suggestions how to resolve? Upgraded to NIS 2012 on my MacBook PRO with Windows 7 in a VM. No issues. TIA
delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Re: NIS 2012 won't run on Vista

This isn't an error that is often seen since the 2009 version and it was often Vista that had difficulties then as well.  The other instance was failing to completely remove the 2012 beta. Your machine, for whatever reason might not handle an over install well.  You may need to completely remove 2011 from your system first. Make certain that you have connectivity following that removal, and then install NIS 2012 from a clean boot.

1.  save logins to the desktop and have your activation key handy

2.  save fresh download of 2012

3.  remove 2011 via add/remove

4.  run Norton removal tool twice, reboot after each

5.  check through search for Norton or Symantec files and remove.

6.  configure for clean boot.

7.  reinstall

8.  reboot and check connectivity.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20100618062155EN&lg=engl...

http://www.symantec.com/symnrt

www.norton.com/nis12

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
h8Windoze

Hello,

Thank you for the support. I followed your instructions and still have issue. It seems my problem is bigger than anticipated.

TIA

Symantec Employee
mahiarch

Hi h8Windoze,

Do you have any other security software for e.g..Microsoft Security Essentials?

If it so remove it and then check if the internet works with the Norton 2012 installed.

Thanks

Mahi

Visitor
h8Windoze

Hello,

Thanks. No other security software is installed. The only software used was NIS for the past 3 years. Windows Firewall is disabled.

Warm Regards,

Dave L.
delphinium

[ Edited ]

Is the Vista O/S a 32 or 64 bit?  Is the Vista in a VM environment as well? 

Are there any required updates for the network card? 

Are there any warning flashes in device manager indicating a problem?  Is there any information in events viewer that could provide some info. 

Unfortunately, in an uncommon issue there is a lot of troubleshooting.

Further research indicates that it is most likely a driver conflict.  Only two other threads show this error, one having NIS2009 and the other NAV 2012. NAV has no firewall. It may not even be the same issue as 2009.  Both users reported the difficulties coming out of hibernation or standby, which could indicate a memory issue as well.

Mark Twain
venkat0052
Topics: 1
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 3

Try installing the Service pack update from microsoft. I am sure you are using Vista without service pack

Just give a try with this I hope this will solve your issue

If not reply us back

Thanks & Regards

Venkatesh.S

Contributor
iNiC

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to say thanks you for the insight in to NIS12. I was browsing the forums looking for a way to access my "Account" via NIS11 (Norton says I have IE6 and need 8 - it is IE8!) and was about to try an upgrade to NIS12, but not after reading about your grief.

I think it pays the client (us) to browse as well - that way, we can see what to avoid.

Truly hope you get a solution to your problem. I will skip that grief and will avoid NIS12  :smileyhappy: and hope they fix NIS11 soon.

I

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~ Will split atoms in exchange for ride back to home planet~~
Visitor
h8Windoze

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Vista Home Premium 32 Bit. No VM, it's a cheap Acer Box with factory image. No updates to network card listed in Device Manager. It's a NVidia nforce. There is also Hamachi Log Me In. Nothing in Event Viewer that I can find. There is some issue with Boot Time taking longer with NIS in the Log. Vista SP2 is installed. 

I received some suggestions from Tech Support and will try them in a few days. I spent 10 Hours on the issue and went back to NIS 2011. I am primarily a Mac OS X user, but tolerate Windows for my employer. Acer's Tech Support is awful, so I do my own.

The Vista Box is used just for online streaming of Public Safety Radio Communications for Smart Phones, PC's etc. The longer time i spend on the issue, the more time the Feeds are down, and it upsets the listeners, so I try to keep downtime to a mininum.

I never had any issues with Norton or Symantec Tech Support. I have used the products for years, and for tne most part Problem or Headache FREE!

Thanks again for the suggestions and support. Will get back to you in a few days when I have some time.

Warm Regards,

Dave L.

delphinium

The way things are going, you may drop off the first page, and end up around page 3 give or take.  You can always find the thread by clicking on your name and picking one of the results.

Mark Twain