Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
FattiesGoneWild

NIS 2013 and hosts file compatible?

[ Edited ]

Any issues using said combination? I currently have MVPS hosts file installed. I did not think to ask this question though before installing NIS 2013. Also while looking through the program and this is regarding hosts file. I clicked on "Support" then "Get Support" and it said checking installation. Then it mentioned the hosts file and says it fixed the problem? What was that all about? I checked my hosts file and everything seems to be in tact. But, it said it was modified today 11/7/2012. Which is from that checking installation scan. What did it modify? :smileysurprised:

Screen shot included from log I just came across in NIS 2013.

Capture2.JPG

dickevans

Re: NIS 2013 and hosts file compatible?

Hi,

Not sure what was 'fixed'. My guess would be a very minor incompatibility between them that auto-fix was able to resolve. I would not anticipate any more 'problems'. Keep them both current and

Stay well and surf safe

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Regular Contributor
FattiesGoneWild

I am so curious. Can someone from Norton/Symantec chime in on this what it had done for the "fix"?

Symantec Employee
ramshrii

Hi

I'm also using MVPS hosts in my PC to avoid known annoying websites. The Norton Autofix scans the Host file for any entry related to norton. Becasue the purpose of Autofix is to scan and fix issues related to norton product and files or services required for the product to run. So if the Host file has any entry related to norton then it removes that entry from the host file.

You can check that by manually adding an entry like below to the host file after 127.0.0.1 localhost:

127.0.0.1   community.norton.com 

After adding this entry save the host file and then select the Get Support option->It does the Host File cleanup->Open Host file and you'll not find that manual entry there. So, the Autofix won't touch anything else in the Host file, unless it is related to Norton.

If the Host file is not there then you'll get the message Host File cleanup failed. you've to re-create it.

-Shri
Regular Contributor
FattiesGoneWild

Thank you for the response. Hmm. I would not think MVPS host file would have a Norton entry?

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,687
Solutions: 760

FattiesGoneWild wrote:

Thank you for the response. Hmm. I would not think MVPS host file would have a Norton entry?

Is it possible that you might have had malware at some point in the past that might have added security software sites to the Hosts File in order to hinder attempts at removal?  If you removed such an infection, the Hosts File entries could easily have remained in place.

Regular Contributor
FattiesGoneWild

Nope. This is a fresh install of Windows 8 and NIS 2013 from only a few days ago. I also installed the hosts file the same day before installing NIS 2013. I installed NIS 2013 after the host file. That is why I thought it was odd with this so called "auto fix". The system was and is completely clean.

Symantec Employee
ramshrii

[ Edited ]

If you're still curious, Download a New Host file from MVPS site and then have your computers host file and thenew file side by side and compare them to find the missing entry from your Host file. The function of Autofix is to find and fix things that are blocking the product from operating normaly.

-Shri
Symantec Employee
ramshrii

[ Edited ]

I think I got the entry which is getting cleaned up from the MVPS Hosts file.:smileywink:

127.0.0.1  om.symantec.com

Check the below page:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/archive/2007/08/08/symantec-detects-a-possible-malicious-entry-in-...

An explanation was given in 2008 in forums regarding this: 

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/is-om-symantec-com-part-of-norton-sho...

-Shri
Regular Contributor
FattiesGoneWild

[ Edited ]

ramshrii wrote:

I think I got the entry which is getting cleaned up from the MVPS Hosts file.:smileywink:

127.0.0.1  om.symantec.com

Check the below page:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/archive/2007/08/08/symantec-detects-a-possible-malicious-entry-in-...

An explanation was given in 2008 in forums regarding this: 

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/is-om-symantec-com-part-of-norton-sho...

Yes! You are all over and found it. I matched it up and had the same results. So, my next question. The MVPS host file is usually updated once a month by them. What would be the best solution and easiest in my case you think? I was thinking once the host file is updated. Then run Norton and it will fix the entry or any other future entrys possibly added to the host file Symantec wise? Again thanks for the help. You are awesome! :smileyvery-happy: