Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
victor5988

NIS 2014 scans not working on windows 8 laptop URGENT HELP PLEASE

Since mid february, when I click on scan button, it does nothing. I try scanning from desktop, also does nothing. Clicking settings button does nothing, I think something is wrong, I need help within a few days, I think there is a virus with my computer.

I have a windows 8 lenovo laptop

F4E
Kudos: 806
Solutions: 176

Re: NIS 2014 scans not working on windows 8 laptop URGENT HELP PLEASE

[ Edited ]

Hi victor5988, and welcome. It's possible something may have become corrupted in Norton.

There is a new version available ONLY from the Norton Update Center. Version 21.1.1.7.

Follow Tony Weiss' instructions in the post below. It will overinstall your current version, and replace it with a clean one.

This may well fix this issue you have. After the download, run Live Updates until no more are found.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Product-Update-Announcements/Product-Update-21-1-1-of-Norton-Internet...

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
Visitor
victor5988

I used Windows troubleshooter and it said norton internet security is incompatible. When I bought it, it said it was compatible with windows 8. Also I installed update, scans and settings still do not work. I urgently need more help

dickevans

victor5988 wrote:

I used Windows troubleshooter and it said norton internet security is incompatible. When I bought it, it said it was compatible with windows 8. Also I installed update, scans and settings still do not work. I urgently need more help

Victor,

What's the version number? Open the UI -> Support -> about 21.x.x.xx

Need the Xs replaced with your version numbers

Thanks

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,842
Solutions: 378

victor,

I was using NIS 2014 on Windows 8.0 and am still using it on Windows 8.1 after updating that through the Microsoft store.

So there is no inherent incompatibility regardless of what Microsoft may say.

Are you on 8.0 or 8.1 ?

Press WINKEY + Pause keys at the same time and you get System Information that will tell you the version of Windows 8.

And as asked please give the Version ID of your Norton -- Support / About where it is in the format nn.nn.nn.nnn  where n is a number .....

Hugh
Visitor
victor5988

I am 8.0 not 8.1

ALSO, VERSION IS 21.1.1.7 or something

F4E
Kudos: 806
Solutions: 176

[ Edited ]

Hi, Victor. You may want to try the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool.

It will replace your current install with a fresh one, and update you to the latest version. The link is below.

After the reinstalll, run Live Update until no more are found.

http://www.norton.com/nrnr

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,842
Solutions: 378

victor5988 wrote:

I am 8.0 not 8.1

ALSO, VERSION IS 21.1.1.7 or something

NIS 2.1.1.7 is the current version so you are OK for that aspect but follow the suggestions on reinstalling.

If the suggestions for reinstalling NIS do not fix things I would seriously suggest upgrading to Windows 8.1 -- it makes some major user friendly improvements to 8.0 and with all the upgrading may well fix something that is causing your problem.

If you decide to do this you may want to temporarily disable the AntiVirus Autoprotect function by right mouse clicking on the NIS icon in the system tray. Since it can take several hours to fully upgrade your Windows 8.0 (you have to begin by running Windows Update until you are fully uptodate) do the disable permanently and don't forget to reenable it after you are uptodate.

Whether disabling NIS is necessary or not is debated but I've seen people run into problems with the Windows 8 update that did not occur when they disabled NIS during the update. It can't do any harm!

If you care to tell me the make and exact model of laptop computer you have I'll do some checking on whether problems are known -- some models of Lenovo had a problem at one time that was fixable.

Hugh
Visitor
victor5988

First of all, will I need to purchase my copy again? I do not want to spend C$50 again. Before I run it, I need to make sure I do not need a new code. 

Please reply ASAP

Thanks

peterweb
Kudos: 1,440
Solutions: 359

victor5988 wrote:

First of all, will I need to purchase my copy again? I do not want to spend C$50 again. Before I run it, I need to make sure I do not need a new code. 

Please reply ASAP

Thanks

There will be no new activation used if you use the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool as suggested above.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.