Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
mgfans

NIS Definitions will not update

[ Edited ]

The Web Protections Definitions will not update.  I keep re-running live update and they keep failing.  I have ALREADY CHECKED MY SYSTEM DATE/TIME AND IT IS CORRECT.  This has been working fine for montlhs, and now all of a sudden is not.  Am I looking at reinstalling again???

Dennis

dickevans

Re: NIS Definitions will not update

mgfans wrote:

The Web Protections Definitions will not update.  I keep re-running live update and they keep failing.  I have ALREADY CHECKED MY SYSTEM DATE/TIME AND IT IS CORRECT.  This has been working fine for montlhs, and now all of a sudden is not.  Am I looking at reinstalling again???

Dennis

Welcome Dennis,

Reinstalling? Maybe! If you've had to do that before in the not too distant pass there may be something else causing the problem with your Norton product. What scans have you run? Do you have any other security software installed/running? When did the 'all of a sudden' happen? After a program update, after you installed a program, after . . . ?

There's a reason for the change, we just need to find it.

Looking forward to your response

Thanks

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
peterweb
Kudos: 1,350
Solutions: 335

mgfans wrote:

Dennis

How long has this been going on? Sometimes it is just a problem with the update servers. Just keep trying. As long as it is not a problem with your system, it should work soon.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
mgfans

Went away for 10 days, when we came back, Norton said definitions were out of date.  Ran Live Update and the problem started.  Did not install any new programs (that I know of).  I have not run scans, but Norton continues to run the background idle time scans.

Dennis

peterweb
Kudos: 1,350
Solutions: 335

[ Edited ]

Try clicking on Support - Get Support. This will run Autofix that will look for and try to fix anything wrong with your installation.

Run a full system scan in Safe Mode. Safe mode ensures that any malware does not hide behind running Windows processes.

Also it would  be a good idea to run a second scan using the FREE version of Malwarebytes. You can find that here.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
mgfans

Tried the Get Support and Norton says there is nothing wrong.  Ran the anti-malware with current definitions and nothing found.  Tried Live Update again and it STILL will not update the virus definitions.  Any other ideas?

dickevans

maybe

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20110217171332EN

Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool?

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,791
Solutions: 776

mgfans wrote:

Tried Live Update again and it STILL will not update the virus definitions.  Any other ideas?

Virus definitions or Web Protection definitions?  They are two different things.  Double check the system time and date and make sure they are absolutely correct.

mgfans

Web protection definitions ONLY.  There are 2 of them.

mgfans

System clock is correct.