Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
marhug

NIS.exe hogging cpu on XP

Having upgraded to NIS 21.10.0.18 on Win XP SP3 I am finding that one or more processes of NIS,exe are hogging cpu are certain times. Cannot stop the processes so have to wait until they release cpu to do anything.

dickevans

Re: NIS.exe hogging cpu on XP

marhug wrote:

Having upgraded to NIS 21.10.0.18 on Win XP SP3 I am finding that one or more processes of NIS,exe are hogging cpu are certain times. Cannot stop the processes so have to wait until they release cpu to do anything.

Welcome,

When NIS is running a scan it does get CPU intensive which keeps RAM very busy. How much RAM is installed and can you add more?

Thanks

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
marhug

Hi Dick,

Its an old machine with a 2Ghz processor and only 1 Gb RAM. Paging does not look to be the problem. That seems confined to cpu.

Cheers

Mar

F4E
Kudos: 833
Solutions: 185

Hi marhug, you could try running scans manually only, rather than via a schedule. Then you can run them at a time that suits you.. Also turning off things like Idle Time Optimiser, and on the General Tab under Performance Monitoring, there are items you can choose to disable there. This will help release some cpu for other tasks....You really do need more ram, if possible.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
marhug

How do I schedule Norton processes manually? Cannot find where to do this.

F4E
Kudos: 833
Solutions: 185

[ Edited ]

Run a scan manually, by going to your Norton UI and selecting Scan Now, where you will be presented with a choice of Quick Scan,  Custom Scan,  {where you can choose which part of your system to scan eg Drive Scan or Folder Scan etc }, or the choice to do a Full Scan.

This can be done at a time that suits you  .:smileyhappy:

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
Phishing Phryer
Sandro_cm

Hello marhug,

In addition to the helpful tips provided by Dick and F4E, I just wanted to add that you are using NIS, which is one of the most complete, complex and evolved that exist.
There are other security software that wouldn't work on computers having these requirements, they would not even be able to work properly so that you are protected.

As mentioned by Dick, if your motherboard supports an additional GB of RAM, you would earn a lot, both for stability and performance.

Sandro

noghere
Topics: 14
Kudos: 29
Solutions: 10

marhug wrote:

Are you sure it's NIS.exe and not svchost.exe?

Visitor
Sam2

I just installed NIS on XP and am also having terrrible performance problems.  I am running XP SP3 with 1.6 GHz processor and 2Gb of RAM (the most I can load on the PC). 

I haven't checked precisely what it is doing, but I believe it is more than just hanging on scans or db downloads.  Also, the PC now takes 20 minutes for XP to shutdown.

This is my first (and last?) venture into NIS.  Was running Kapsersky Pure 2.0 just fine until the license was due to expire and only shifted to NIS now after seeing user reviews that Pure 3.0 has install and license verification problems. 

What specifically can I throw overboard?  I just want good basic security, don't need a lot of bells and whistles especially if in brings the PC to its knees.

Thanks for suggestions. 

nikki605
Topics: 14
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 3

May be related to the problem discussed here: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/High-and-almost-Constant-CPU-usage/m-...

Seen on WinXP and Win7

--------------------------------------------------
Gary