Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
gators131

NIS gone from system tray..

Good afternoon,

After signing off the internet on my desktop computer I noticed my Norton yellow icon had disappeared from the system tray. There is now a non-descript icon in the tray with a popup message saying, Windows has detected spyware infection, click here to download anti spyware soft so that win can cleanup your computer.  

Now my Norton NIS will not start and seems to have disappeared from my computer. I tried to reinstall Norton from my software disc and it seemed to work, but the program is not there.

Help,   

gator131

Regular Contributor
Dieselman743

Re: NIS gone from system tray..

First of all WIndows will not say that. You got infected with a "false security alert". What version of Norton are you using? Try doing a full scan with Norton. Also download and install then update SuperAntiSpyware.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NAT
Behavior Analysis = Threatfire
On Demand = MBAM
Rootkit Eradicator

Dieselman743 wrote:

First of all WIndows will not say that. You got infected with a "false security alert". What version of Norton are you using? Try doing a full scan with Norton. Also download and install then update SuperAntiSpyware.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

First of all, Update your Virus Definitions for Norton and boot in to Safe Mode  (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_n...) and do a Full System Scan.

http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

01. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

02. Install.

03. Update.

04. "Perform full scan" in Safe Mode.

Let us know the Results of your Scans.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Contributor
gators131

Hi,

Yes, I thought it was a bogus Windows message..

I am using NIS 2007. What has me really snowed is NIS is gone from desktop which is the machine I usually use. As I mentioned I tried re-installing nis from my software disc, I got a couple of messages during the installation but it seemed to load. However, when it finished I didn't have nis installed. I did a search for Norton and a number of files came up, but I compared to what is on my laptop and there are a lot of files missing from my desktop.

Why can I not load nis?

thanks,

gators   

Regular Contributor
Tech0utsider

[ Edited ]

Problem #1: Norton does not load completely.

Solution: Reinstall. First uninstall via Add/Remove Prog. and reboot. Then delete:

1.  C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Delete "Norton and "Symantec"

2.  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Delete all Norton and Symantec related folders

3.  Start>Run>"regedit">HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>delete "Norton" and "Symantec"

4.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>delete "Norton" and "Symantec"

Then, download and run the Norton Removal Tool: symantec.com/nrt

Reboot

Download Norton Internet Security 2009. You are entitled to a free upgrade. Upgrading will keep the number of days left in your subscription. 

Fill out your information and download: http://nct.symantecstore.com/fulfill/0184.077

Problem #2: Supposdly bogus pop-up message. 

Solution: Update NIS09 and run a full system scan.

Problem #3: Files missing from deskop.

Solution: Do you have a backup? Restore from backup. If not, try getting rid of the malware first. See where that takes you. Also, make sure that you are allowed to see hidden and hidden Windows operating files. The malware may have hid them. 

Finally, run a full system scan with HiJackThis and post the logfile here. 

Hope this helps. 

Message Edited by Tech0utsider on 11-02-2008 02:19 PM
=\
Rootkit Eradicator

If you wish to Upgrade for free to N.I.S. 2009, which I would suggest, then you may follow the Steps below.

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/special/upgrade2007/vista/select_product.jsp?site=nu...

Upgrading instructions for Norton 2006 Products and Later:

01. Select your Product and Version, from the Web Link (above).

02. Save the Download on your Desktop.

03. Save your Product Key (www.mynortonaccount.com; http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/custserv.nsf/docid/20020610105504925?Open&src=symsug).

04. Dis-connect from the Internet.

05. Go to Add/Remove.

06. Locate "Norton Internet Security (Symantec Corporation)" and click on "Remove".

07. Follow the instrctions and, when asked to, re-start your computer.

08. Locate to Add/Remove upon start-up.

09. Click on LiveUpdate and "Remove" and any other LiveUpdate.

10. If requested, re-start your computer.

11. Double-click on the Saved N.I.S./N.AV. File on your Desktop.

12. Follow the instructions.

13. Open Norton Internet Security or Norton AntiVirus and "Run [Norton] LiveUpdate" manually.

14. It is now Safe to Connect to the Internet again.

15. If you notice things not running right with N.I.S. 2009/N.AV. 2009, it may be a bug; please Post them here [in the Forum].

16. If you have Other Norton Products, then you can
re-install LiveUpdate, or, if you have Used the N.R.T., you can re-install your Other Norton Product(s); if you do not have the Disc, then you can re-download it via the Trailware. Norton SystemWorks users have had a "Patch" Released so that Updates are received through Norton LiveUpdate, i.e. your Norton Internet Security 2009 Product.

17. If you have problems un-installing/installing, then use the Norton Removal Tool.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Regular Contributor
Dieselman743

I also higly recommend switching your main browser to Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Real Time Protection = NIS 2009 + NAT
Behavior Analysis = Threatfire
On Demand = MBAM
Contributor
gators131

Hi,

I will try your suggestions and thanks for all the help.

gators

Contributor
gators131

Still no NIS in system tray..

Hi,

I originally posted here on 11/2 about losing NIS 2008 from my system tray with the following:

After signing off the internet on my desktop computer I noticed my Norton yellow icon had disappeared from the system tray. There is now a non-descript icon in the tray with a popup message saying, Windows has detected spyware infection, click here to download anti spyware soft so that win can cleanup your computer.  

Now my Norton NIS will not start and seems to have disappeared from my desktop computer. I tried to reinstall Norton from my software disc and it seemed to work, but the program is not there.

Help,  

gator131

I received a response from Dieselman743 and Floating Red suggesting that I update my Norton 2008 and scan my computer as a first step. When I attempted this I found that I have been blocked from the Norton online site. I get a Mozilla screen saying, Failed to Connect although I can access yahoo, google etc.  

Next I booted to safe mode to see if I could get to Norton from there, but after a few seconds I got a message saying,

“This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT Authority System.

Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly”.

This process continued until I got back to System Config and reset to normal boot.

I suspect this problem may be linked to losing NIS 2008 and it is gone from my desktop computer! I checked the control panel Add/Remove programs nothing, did a search and found a few leftover NIS 2006 files.

I would like to get to Norton and reload my NIS 2008 and see if I can clean up my desktop computer with Norton before I try other programs.

In case anyone is wondering I am using my wife's laptop computer for my posts.

Help..

Virus Trouncer
mijcar

Re: Still no NIS in system tray..

I do know a Trojan has infected your computer.  I haven't seen one that takes over the Notification Tray icons before, but the type of behavior is identical to the ones I am familiar with:

**A warning about malware of some kind.

**An imperative to "click here" to get what you need to fight it.

Of course, clicking here actually enables the Trojan to launch its infestation.  I hope you avoided that.

You need to follow the good advice you've been given so far by Dieselman and others.  Get malwarebytes, run it in Safe Mode.  You can see if you can install NIS2009 and do an immediate scan in Safe Mode, if possible.

If this Trojan follows the typical behavior pattern, it won't be long before you lose your desk, your access to the internet, your ability to launch TaskManager.

Good luck,

mij
N360 2013, v.20.1.0.24; Win7 Pro, SP1 (32 bit), IE 9, Firefox 14, No other active securityware