Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
jmhbpc

NIS on Windows 8, brand new install Live Update does not work

When I check manually the Run Liveupdate option on NIS progess never gets passed the check.

When aborting the check the process will not cancel necessitating signing out of Windows.

dickevans

Re: NIS on Windows 8, brand new install Live Update does not work

jmhbpc wrote:

When I check manually the Run Liveupdate option on NIS progess never gets passed the check.

When aborting the check the process will not cancel necessitating signing out of Windows.

Welcome,
After installing and activating did you reboot and run live update until the program tells you that all of the updates have been downloaded and installed AND then reboot again?

Keep us posted

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Contributor
jmhbpc

yes originally, the other day.

Tonight, i engaged nortondownload manager to download a 149mb update. The app is up to date, rebooted, etc.

Live update does not work.

In the interim it would be REALLY helpful to be able to manually download virus definitions since the app

seems not do that automatically, as it shows "last update" as 20 hours ago

Contributor
jmhbpc

also, I just navigated to what I think is the virus def. download page http://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=n95

which posts a 186mb file !??? for a v-def update... that cannot be right!

Contributor
jmhbpc

[ Edited ]

Can it? but if it is, I don't think is addresses the fact that LiveUpdate Check never completes, or that canceling the "Check" will not stop the session... I am downloading the massive update right now. But it does not make sense that LiveUpdate should take more than a minute or so to proceed to downloading, or notify of an available update.

I should clarify, I guess, "Brand New Install" meaning: The I installed the latest version of NIS on a new system that has W8 installed.This was not an upgrade from W7... etc. My recollection on our other system with W7 Norton updates regularly with small updates... sometimes numerous times a day... this v-Def mega download is new to me

btw, sorry for my lack of concise post organization here

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Thats the entire definition set and it's not going to resolve your problem.

Also note there are 32 and 64bit versions and you need the right one to match your operating system.

I think it would be best to resolve your problem first because if you can't run live update something is wrong and the live updates you get through the product contain more than just the definition files.

Dave

Contributor
jmhbpc

Hello, are we talking uninstall and reinstall?, I recently downloaded the near latest a couple of days ago to install on the new system, and a version updater just finished to the "latest" version a bit ago. "My Norton Product is Up To Date" as it were.

Contributor
jmhbpc

[ Edited ]

indeed, I accidentally downloaded the 32 bit . ;(

I am beginning to wonder, though, if there is a reason Dell offers preinstall of McAfee... Perhaps NIS is not compatible with Dell systems.

I purposely declined the McAfee option because I had had such a fine experience with NIS on an HP running W7

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

I done that myself, thats why I mentioned there were different versions LOL

Norton works fine on Dells or any other system.

I was going to suggest that maybe there is a conflict with another real time scanner or firewall.

Even if you don't see one running, a lot of new systems come with trials already installed.

But the normal behavior of Norton internet security is that you install it and everything works, especially live update.

Look through the program list and if you see something like McAfee installed you will want to uninstall both products and use a removal tool to clean up after McAfee and then reinstall Norton.

Dave

Contributor
jmhbpc

[ Edited ]

I was able to manually update with the 64bit def file, but as of this writing LiveUpdate is not working (um, despite the bigol' yellow "working" sign on the progress bar :))  . I will check for conflicts but I am pretty sure no McAfee anything is installed. Windows firewall has been superceded by Norton... and now I am wondering I should dig up my old copy of NIS 19.x. it sure works fine on W7