Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
debuneezmom

NIS "open" doesn't work - and small panel that showed 'protected' etc. gone?

[ Edited ]

When I double-click the NIS icon nothing happens.  I've also tried right-clicking and 'open' - again, nothing.

How do I access things like quick scan, full scan, history, etc.?

I also used to have a small icon/panel in the corner of my computer that had the Norton logo and a green "protected."  This is now gone. 

How do I even know that NIS is installed and functioning properly?

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.  I've checked and Windows Defender is off.  I've also just removed and re-installed NIS (and did a full restart).

Any assistance would be very much appriciated...I feel sort of "naked" without all the gizmos :-)

dickevans

Re: NIS "open" doesn't work - and small panel that showed 'protected' etc. gone?

debuneezmom wrote:

When I double-click the NIS icon nothing happens.  I've also tried right-clicking and 'open' - again, nothing.

How do I access things like quick scan, full scan, history, etc.?

I also used to have a small icon/panel in the corner of my computer that had the Norton logo and a green "protected."  This is now gone. 

How do I even know that NIS is installed and functioning properly?

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.  I've checked and Windows Defender is off.  I've also just removed and re-installed NIS (and did a full restart).

Any assistance would be very much appriciated...I feel sort of "naked" without all the gizmos :-)

Welcome,

OK, a left click, just one, should open the UI, a right click, again just one, should open a pane with a list of features you can access.

The 'gadget' is now a thing of the past. Microsoft has alerted everyone that its use is a serious security hazard. Norton is into protecting not creating security hazards :smileywink:

If going into the start menu and clicking on the program isn't getting it started then I'd recommend that you usee the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool to put a clean copy of your computer. Besure to save your identity safe data FIRST!

You might also want to get a copy of Malwarebytes free scanner

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

or the one from Superantispyware

http://superantispyware.com/

to keep on your desktop and use as a second opinion scan. Do not enable the active trial on either as they DO conflict with your Norton product.

In addition to windows defender being off microsoft security essentials must be uninstalled.

Keep us posted

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21