Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
gwm
Topics: 2
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 0

I am still waiting...

"having to re-install each time with no way to export/import rules is just wrong!."

I agree 100%.

So here we are, a long time after reporting this particular bug---Now having to deal with what seems HUNDREDS of pop up windows to block or not to block---for one instance.  Oh no not a window that asks to block permanently.  THAT would be too easy.

jmason
Kudos: 8
Solutions: 1

Re: I am still waiting...

If you have a way of installing or going back to NIS 2011, I suggest you do as I have done. That way you have NIS protection and, at the same time, are able to continue adding more firewall entries/rules while WAITING for the "good news" (if it will come anyway). Just imagine this is still Year 2011.

By comparison, NIS 2011 runs "smoother" than NIS 2012 does. Also, when you're entering a new rule in the 2011 firewall, you don't have to tense up and almost beg it or pray that the software doesn't choke on you and crash. Because if it does, you know you don't only have to reboot your system, but it also means that you cannot enter new rules anymore. And we all know that BAD feeling very well.

gwm

No, not with 6 (SIX) computers.
And with this sort of thing the question persists:
WHY cannot we save these rules as a profile for import/export???
I am starting to think that someone with a Twitter FaceBook account should start broadcasting this thing to the populace.  I have been a faithful Norton buyer for many years.  And now....
jmason wrote:

If you have a way of installing or going back to NIS 2011, I suggest you do as I have done. That way you have NIS protection and, at the same time, are able to continue adding more firewall entries/rules while WAITING for the "good news" (if it will come anyway). Just imagine this is still Year 2011.

By comparison, NIS 2011 runs "smoother" than NIS 2012 does. Also, when you're entering a new rule in the 2011 firewall, you don't have to tense up and almost beg it or pray that the software doesn't choke on you and crash. Because if it does, you know you don't only have to reboot your system, but it also means that you cannot enter new rules anymore. And we all know that BAD feeling very well.

gwm

Ok so now after the latest update with restart your computer please I get the following:

Click to open>

settings>

network>

smart firewall>

program control-configure>

CRASH

Info:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    ccSvcHst.exe
  Application Version:    11.2.0.9
  Application Timestamp:    4ed5768a
  Fault Module Name:    SYMHTML.DLL
  Fault Module Version:    6.5.0.23
  Fault Module Timestamp:    4ee5934c
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    00025b27
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    0a9e
  Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:    0a9e
  Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Zangiry
Topics: 0
Kudos: 0

[ Edited ]

I've been having the same problem ever since I upgraded from NIS 2011

have reinstalled NIS2012 3 times now, still it crashes..

and it  seems it happens at the 100+ mark..

and it happened on 4 different computers, running vista/win7 different cpu's, memory, motherboard,

so if it's a hardware failure.. I'm almost taking it personally.. Like NIS 2012 just doesn't like me, or something :P

gwm

What it seems to be is that they (Norton People) don't put us (Those who create manual firewall rules) very high on their priority list. 

Regular Visitor
colmor

Hi,

I'm a newbie here (but not to Norton).  

Can I now join your little community - I have exactly the same problem running NIS on XP, but I get to around 120 entries in Program Control before it falls over. 

Having said that, I can't actually view the page now to count them!

And how I HATE having to insert all these items every time I need to do a completely clean install!!

So what do I do now? Do I raise a new Complaint with Norton?

Cheers,

colmor

gwm

Post the details of your error code here.   And then wait, and wait, and wait.

Contributor
AstroMax

I had the same problem on my W7 32 bits and W7 64 bits machines.

The 32 bits one could not upgrade to NIS 19.5. The 64 bits one DID upgrade but:

Since few months, whenever I try to open smart firewall, NIS crashed with message Error 8504, 104.

I had to uninstall and reinstall, then I had to add again by hand my firewall rules.

Every year I recommend NIS to add the possibility to back up FW rules, but no way they consider it!

gwm

I've had it with this.  I am going to downgrade to 2011on 5 machines, do al the @@#%&$#  #$&^ to reenter the firewall rules, then get on EVERY social networking site I know of and post a video slamming Norton.  I have put up with this long enough.

If it weren't for the fact that I am putting in 60 hours a week for another obligation I would have done this a week ago.

Now when I even so much as try to open up my firewall settings Nortonb crashes.  Worthless piece of crap.