Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Tim_Lopez
Topics: 352
Kudos: 1,510
Solutions: 889

Re: I am still waiting...

Hello jmason,

Again, I'm sorry for your frustration and also sorry that you feel we are not taking this seriously. We have tried to work on this issue but without actually seeing what's going on or being able to physically identify where the fault in the code is, there's nothing we can do. I'm confident that if you're not willing to let us gather critical information to fix the issue, perhaps someone will. 

Unfortunately, if we don't get the information we need in order to help us research the issue, it will only delay getting this issue resolved. I'm confident that we'll be able to resolve it, as I'm working close with engineering on this issue and am relaying the info directly from them. 

I'm sorry if you do not agree with this and that you're frustrated with this situation. 

Let's please keep this thread focused on opening it up for a volunteer to contact us if they're willing to let us research this. That way when they come to this thread they see that right away and can assist. 

Again, I apologize for the frustration - We're honestly doing all that we can do at this point, but need to get some technical information (process crash dumps, to start) from someone experiencing this issue to proceed. 

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Contributor
AstroMax

I did make my homework and sent the report.

Hope it helps to solve this problem without need of reinstalling NIS.

Thanks for taking care.

AstroMax

gwm
Topics: 2
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 0

[ Edited ]

Thank you sir.  Did you happen to take a look in the zip file before you sent it?

And the others are right---2011 does run faster...

Tim_Lopez

AstroMax wrote:

I did make my homework and sent the report.

Hope it helps to solve this problem without need of reinstalling NIS.

Thanks for taking care.

AstroMax

Hello AstroMax,

Which report did you send, and where did you send it? 

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Symantec Corporation
Contributor
AstroMax

--------------------------

Hello AstroMax,

Which report did you send, and where did you send it? 

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Symantec Corporation
---------------------------------------
Zip file upped to swapdrive following instructions by Tony_Weiss.
Super Bot Obliterator
elsewhere

jmason wrote:

elsewhere:

If you do not get our point, please do not put words in our mouth. I think I can speak for many of us here. We are NOT asking for a "product feature enhancement." We don't care if Norton incroporates the ability to import/export rules in the next release or product. We just want something like the Norton Removal Tool (NRT). I don't consider the NRT an "enhancement" but an independent utility program to facilitate complete uninstallation of Norton products. We want something like that, a small utility program that we can use to import/export firewall rules so we can isolate the cause of our problems with NIS 2012.

And please do not point out that something I said here is relevant or not, especially in a thread I started.
[...] 

You are asking for a ‘product feature enhancement’ regardless of whether you realise it or not.  While the idea of a ‘small utility program’ that you could use to import/export firewall rules is conceptually simple, the reality of implementing this is much more complex. The task of importing firewall rules is something that should only be performed by the NIS 2012 Product Engine if you want to have any hope of maintaining product integrity eg. correctly processing the newly imported rules and updating the Security History logs accordingly. As of now, the functionality to bulk import firewall rules into NIS 2012 doesn't exist and that’s what essentially makes this request a product feature enhancement.

This is what also raises the question of the relevance of this request in terms of addressing this defect. Even if Norton did provide you with a utility to import/export firewall rules, then essentially you’d be running the product in a non-standard Beta environment anyway. This, in itself, could potentially exacerbate the current issue. Sure, you’d have a quick way to import your rules but does the Norton crash that you may see under this scenario actually mean anything in terms of this defect?

Right now, this defect has been clearly defined in this thread by way of confirmation from users of the currently released product. What you need to accept is that solution testing in relation to this defect is going to involve a certain amount of tedious data entry on your behalf.  

jmason
Kudos: 8
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

elsewhere, Tim_Lopez, the Norton technical team, and all those who are on their side:

I don't even want to argue with you people anymore. Let's just move to your ball park and look at how things might turn out.

Let's say Norton is able to come out with something that the technical team believes is the right fix or solution for our problem with NIS 2012. That became possible maybe because some users provided you with the information the team so desperately needed.

Now, I suppose if we don't test it in ALL our systems, Norton won't be able to confirm the complete effectiveness of the fix/solution. That's because the technical team has not been able to reproduce the problem on its own, according to Tim_Lopez. Therefore, the Norton technical team will have to depend on feedbacks from ALL of us.

Now, who among us do you think will be willing to try the fix/solution for you?

Let me rephrase that.

Who do you think in his/her right sense among us will risk installing YOUR fix/solution without an insurance? Norton says it should fix the problem. Well, if it fails, that means the dork who volunteered to be your guinea pig will have to manually enter all the firewall rules again, thanks to you. On the other hand, will the members of the technical team get a spanking for causing another painful experience on the user? I suppose not. They will just go back to working on another fix/solution for us to try again.

And even if the fix/solution works for some volunteers, Norton still will not be able to confirm that it is completely effective because not of all of us will install it in our systems. Not without an insurance. I for one will not install the fix/solution without an insurance.  And what do you suppose is that insurance? Your promise or something to help minimize our trouble should lightning strike again?

Tim_Lopez

Hello jmason,

I can't make any promises yet due to the proprietary confidential nature of our software code and the way it works. However, if when we find a fix we are able to explain in detail what caused the issue and what exactly the fix is for without disclosing proprietary confidential info, I'll be sure to do that or to find someone who can give those details out. This way, if the cause is relevant to what you're experiecing or your situation, you can be more assured that the released fix is for the specific issue you have as well. 

I definitely understand where you're coming from. Just because the issue shares the same outcome, doesn't particularly mean it has the same cause. 

Also, I will continue to let the developement team know of the need of exporting/importing firewall rules. I can't guarantee anything will be developed, but I can guarantee that I will push for this as much as I possibly can or to find some solution to make it easier to transfer firewall rules. 

To make it easier for me to properly communicate this to the product team, can you list for me in order of importance which firewall settings specifically (Program Control, Ports, Trust Control, etc) are important to backup, in your opinion? 

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Symantec Corporation
jmason
Kudos: 8
Solutions: 1

Tim_Lopez:

Thanks for bringing our thoughts to the team.

Regarding the firewall settings, I am having problem only with Progam Control. Everytime my entries hit the magic number, NIS 2012 crashes. I haven't checked what the magic number is, but it must be beyond 100 in my case.  As for Port Advanced Settings, Trust Control, and Traffic Blocking, I don't often change the settings in them. I set them only once, when I first install the NIS, then I leave them at that. So, the data in the Program Control are most important to me. Besides, it is not that difficult to set the other settings under Smart Firewall again should they even go awry.

I'd like to restate my issues with NIS 2012. (1) The NIS 2012 crashes when my firewall entries hit the magic number (somewhere beyond 100, I think). (2) I am unable to put more entries into the firewall without causing NIS 2012 to crash again, so my work applications using the firewall are essentially disabled. (3) The pain is in having to manually add all the firewall entries again when another copy of the NIS is installed.

I want a backup capability because of number 3, but having a backup capability still does not solve number 2. If you have any other way of solving number 3, I am all ears.

I have been thinking all this time. If the firewall entries were being saved in a separate file, then perhaps I could just make a copy of it on my own (like backing up or exporting), assuming that I know which file it is and that the system would allow me to do so. Of course, sneaking it back (like importing) into a reinstalled and active NIS would be another story. But then, you guys must have thought of this and suggested it to us already, if it were possible.

gwm
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 0

"Of course, sneaking it back (like importing) into a reinstalled and active NIS would be another story."

From a command prompt--Linux or whatever