Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Visitor
bc49
Accepted Solution

NIS2013 crashing when trying to access firewall

About a week ago, I got the "Norton is not protected by Sonar" pop up, so to solve it, I downloaded the Norton remover tool and uninstalled/reinstalled Norton. It solved that problem, but now I have a program that needs to access the internet in order to work (I won't name said program for specific reasons, though I can message a member of Norton which one it is). I've heard that it's because it's being blocked by the firewall, so I went to go and try and make it one of the exclusions. I've heard something about going into settings, finding firewall, and then click configure, but everytime I do that, Norton crashes and will only work again if I restart my computer. So my main question is: what is the right way to access the firewall, and how can I keep it from crashing (I'm using a laptop)?

Regular Contributor
intesec

Re: NIS2013 crashing when trying to access firewall

Hi bc49

Have you or have you ever had any other security software including any trial security software on the computer including Norton?  If so what is it?  

Can you check in windows add/remove programmes, programme data and programme files for any security software that may have been bundled in a download?

What trial security software came with the computer?

Did the sonar pop up request that you should remove and reinstall Norton?

Did you use the Norton remove and reinstall tool (NRnR) or did you uninstall using windows add/remove programmes and then reboot, then run the Norton removal tool (NRT) and reboot?

ATB

intesec

Regular Visitor
bc49

When I got my laptop for Christmas, it included a free year of NIS. I checked my programs and the only one that was there was Norton.

As for the Sonar pop-up, I clicked on help [on Norton] and I was led to different solutions on how to get rid of the pop-up, includng uninstalling/reinstalling it. I used the NRnR to uninstall/reinstall Norton.

Regular Contributor
intesec

Hi bc49

The computer

Should not crash when you access the firewall configurations so try the below.

Can you check on the computer clock that the following are correct?

The time?

The day?

The month?

The Year?

The time zone?

Its written like this because in the past people check the time only and one of the others is incorrect and is causing problems for the Norton product.

To check the above click on the clock in the task bar, on the dialogue box that opens click on, change date and time settings.   

Restart the computer then check for Norton updates manually or right click the Norton icon in the task bar and click, run live updates, and then recheck until there are no more updates restarting the computer as requested.

Try running autofix by clicking the Norton icon, click support, click get support (or right click the Norton icon in the task bar and click Get support) let it run then restart the computer.  It should tell you if any items where fixed.  If you get an error message about MBAM then just click on skip on the error screen.

Can you check if the computer still crashes after doing the above and repost with the results?

The programme should automatically work through the firewall but there may be some problem with it so try the below.  As you have kept the programme confidential you do this at your own risk.

Navigate to firewall programme control (see image below) find the programme concerned and click remove, click apply, click ok close all programmes and restart the computer, launch the programme and it should go back into the firewall programme control, if there’s no joy, in programme control on the right hand side of the programme there is a drop down menu select allow click apply, click ok close all programmes and restart the computer

If the programme is not in firewall programme control, add the programme click apply, click ok close all programmes and restart the computer if there’s no joy, in programme control on the right hand side of the proramme there is a drop down menu select allow click apply, click ok close all programmes and restart the computer

Cap.JPG

ATB

intesec

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

[ Edited ]

intesec wrote:

Hi bc49

The programme should automatically work through the firewall but there may be some problem with it so try the below.  As you have kept the programme confidential you do this at your own risk.

ATB

intesec

Just to clarify intesec's statement above, the Norton SmartFirewall will recreate a rule for your program when you next run the program.

If the program still does not work, follow the rest of intesec's instructions.

You say you heard it was the firewall blocking your program. Who told you that and how did they determine the problem? Was there any error messages when you tried to run the program?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Regular Visitor
bc49

@intesec I tried everything starting from checking the date, to restarting my computer, to running the autofix, but whenever I try and open the firewall, it still keeps crashing. Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but exactly how do I access the firewall? Is it the way I said on my first post [going into settings, finding firewall, and then click configure] or is there another way?

Regular Visitor
bc49

@peterweb On asking how I decided it had to do with the f...

@peterweb On asking how I decided it had to do with the firewall: It doesn't seem to be a problem with the program I'm talking about: I uninstalled it and verified and it runs good. It's just that when I first start my computer, it connects to the internet, but then after about one minute, it stops connecting (keep in mind that I can go onto the internet normally). This has never happened in the past until the day I uninstalled/reinstalled Norton. I think what must be happening is it takes a few minutes for the firewall to kick in, and once it does it stops the connection with said program. I'd rather not share what this program is for certain reasons, is there anyway I could send you a personal message?

Also sorry for the late response.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

Re: @peterweb On asking how I decided it had to do with the f...

[ Edited ]

bc49 wrote:

@peterweb On asking how I decided it had to do with the firewall: It doesn't seem to be a problem with the program I'm talking about: I uninstalled it and verified and it runs good. It's just that when I first start my computer, it connects to the internet, but then after about one minute, it stops connecting (keep in mind that I can go onto the internet normally). This has never happened in the past until the day I uninstalled/reinstalled Norton. I think what must be happening is it takes a few minutes for the firewall to kick in, and once it does it stops the connection with said program. I'd rather not share what this program is for certain reasons, is there anyway I could send you a personal message?

Also sorry for the late response.

To send a private messsage in the forum, just click on the username of the user you wish to contact. On the page that comes up, you click on Send this user a private message under the Contact section near the top right of the page.

pm.JPG

Then keep an eye on the top right section of any page in the forum for a little yellow envelope  . new PM.JPG  This will indicate you have a message waiting for you.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Regular Visitor
bc49

Thanks for the tip, though firewall still keeps crashing when I try opening it up. What is the exact way to access the firewall? I think I'm doing it wrong.

Regular Contributor
intesec

Hi bc49

If you are using the Norton user interface to access the firewall there is not an incorrect way when accessing the firewall this way, its not what your doing it’s probably the Norton product that may have some debris left that needs to be remove using the process below.  There is currently a new version (v21.1.0.18) release that is available through an update to some users, it is as usual with an upgrade from Norton phased and this upgrade deals with an issue about connecting to the internet so the below may stop Norton crashing and if it doesn’t sort the internet connection out the upgrade should.

You can find the version number, by clicking the Norton icon, click support, hover over, about, on the window that opens; the second line down is the version number.

If you use the vault/identity safe and would like to keep it local rather than online stop here and repost.

Log into Norton management on the link below using your Norton account email address and password, click on my account, click on product details.

Click on the yellow download button and save the download. 

Make a note of your current Norton product key from this page.

https://manage.norton.com/

Download Norton removal tool link below.

www.Norton.com/nrt

You’ll need to backup or export in both formats your identity safe and any other users identity safe if it is used, before doing the below.

Disconnect the internet.

Uninstall Norton using the windows add/remove programme.

Restart the computer.

Recheck for Norton using the windows add/remove programme and uninstall if there.

Restart the computer.

Run the Norton removal tool.

Restart the computer.

Install Norton and follow the prompts to activate it, run live updates as many times as it takes to get, no more live updates, restarting as requested.

Check your identity safe has data if not import the data.

If you have any questions please ask before starting.

Refer to post 4 of this thread to retry the programme if it doesn’t work and repost with the results?

ATB

Intesec