Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
NORTOFF
Accepted Solution

NORTON AUTO-PROTECT STOPPED WORKING AFTER 5/11/10 VIRUS DEFINITION UPDATE

[ Edited ]

The virus definitions that updated to my windows xp computer 5/11/10 caused my 2003 Systemworks to cease its Auto-Protect functions....I know this issue is in several other threads currently, but it has BEEN A WEEK and I am wondering how much longer it will be before someone looks at this screwup and comes up with a fix.   HELP NORTON!

Contributor
jimmyjo

Re: NORTON AUTO-PROTECT STOPPED WORKING AFTER 5/11/10 VIRUS DEFINITION UPDATE

Good luck waiting on Norton Tech Support NORTOFF...it has now been OVER a week and nothing but "heard nothing yet-be paitent"s from other threads...hmmm-maybe this is Symantecs way of clearing these old products out.  Rather than be upfront and tell us they will no longer offer updates for these programs (2002 and 2003 NAV) which would alienate a lot of people, they just issued a tainted update that shut us all down then claim ignorance.  I thought it was suspicious when the link for a solution on the error message opened into a "upgrade to NIS 2010" page.  Well I own NIS 2010 (run on 1 rig) and NIS 2007 (which I prefer and run on 3 rigs) but neither runs well on my old XP dinosaurs--they cause them to run verrry slow and sometimes freeze.  Many people are in this same situation, and upgrading is not an option-at least not to another Symantec product.  NORTON-if you actually read these posts please fix this...it is not difficult since WE have isolated the cause and it is easily reproduced.  NORTOFF-remove the 5/11 virus definitions from your program then reboot and your autoprotect will work again...it is easy to do and a good temp fix.  If you need directions, say so and I will give you step by step.  Once again...NORTON PLEASE FIX THIS!!    

Contributor
NORTOFF

JJ:  I sure hope youre wrong about Norton screwing with us....Thanks for the offer of details for removing the problematic virus update from 5/11.  Ive tried following other threads directions but I do not have any older virus definitions since I used my tried and true Symantec fix of total removal and complete reinstall of the Norton product...the only definitions I have on my computer are from 2002 and I have been unable to find any kind of archived "old definitions" on the symantec site.  Could you send me the previous "good" virus definitions directory for 2003 NAV?  Also, step by step directions for replacing the "bad" virus defs from 5/11?  My email is farmassist 'at' hotmail 'dot' com.  Thanks again!!   Best Regards----Nortoff

Contributor
jimmyjo

Nortoff:  I saw you post  and replied immediately hoping to catch you before you signed off.  I will send virus definitions from 5/5 to your email-I would post here but there are too many files in the directory to attach here.  They may come in 2 or 3 emails so when you get them, compile them into one directory called 20100505.004.   The directions to follow are simple and I can tell you here.  Move the directory you just made to C:/Program Files/Common Files/Symantec Shared/Virus Defs.  Remove the directory called 20100511.005-this is the bad definitions.  Open definfo.dat with notepad and change CurDefs=20100511.005 to the new directory you just made CurDefs= 20100505.004.  Then close data file and accept changes.  Now, open usage.dat with notepad and do the same thing you just did, replacing the "bad" virus directory with the "good" one.  It is right in the middle of the gibberish.  Accept changes and close the file.  Now, you  need to TURN OFF LIVEUPDATE in your Norton then reboot computer.  Your product will function fully as before but it will be using virus definitions from 5/5 until Norton fixes this mess.  If you forget and run liveupdate and auto protect is hobbled again, just redo these steps and it will work again.  If any questions just post here.  Cheers------JJ   

Super Contributor
CeeBee

I use NSW/NAV 2003 on an XP/Sp3 computer and downloaded the May 10 definitions here:

ftp://ftp.metu.edu.tr/virus-updates/symantec/20100510-002-i32.exe

As far as I know, they are the latest definitions to work okay.  I installed them and everything works fine on my NAV 2003 setup.

Contributor
NORTOFF

Thanks JJ--I received your emails and managed to get my Norton Autoprotect going-first thing I did was scan for viruses...Ive been to some pretty questionable places looking for fixes for this NORTON FIASCO...I also tried the new update for today 5/19 since its been EIGHT DAYS but NORTON STILL HAS NOT ADDRESSED THIS ISSUE.  I had to remove this newest update and revert to 5/4 update.  I will try CBs 5/10 update-(CEEBEE: where did you get this from and how did you find it?)   I am continually checking the other threads for a fix but no joy---all they get is a NORTONIAN telling them to be paitent.  What a smoking pile.

Super Contributor
CeeBee

Got the link from another thread on the same issue.  I checked the source and the FTP server is operated by the Middle East Technical University (METU).  You can easily search for them.  Then I checked the definition file and it checked out too.  But, of course, like everything downloaded from the web, if you run it it's your choice....

Contributor
jimmyjo

Middle East Technical University?? OMG... What has Symantec done to us?   Thanks CeeBee-it works fine on my computer too...VERY shy about downloading executables though!

Administrator
Dave_Coleman

Contributor
NORTOFF

All you LOOKIE LOOS need to register and sign in and reply to this NORTON "strategy"...there are hundreds of readers of these posts but only a couple dozen posters.  It is easy to register and this might be your only chance to voice your opinion about this "incentive" to upgrade that Symantec has implemented.  Maybe if enough voice their opinions things might change...Meanwhile, Ill be shopping for a new AV program...and it wont be made by Symantec.