Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
drtobe_tony84
Accepted Solution

NORTON WON'T WORK AND AUTO FIX TOOL CANNOT FIX IT

[ Edited ]

After an update today Norton Internet Security 2012 shows errors, when I run the support tool I get the following:

Norton Internet Security
Error: 0, 0
Windows 7 Professional
7601.17640.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506
Norton Autofix Results: 1 item(s)
Installation :: Failed

I have removed norton twice, run the removal tool 10 times but still no luck.....! HELP!!!!!!

Eleanor Roosevelt once said ~ "You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."
Axios
Topics: 90
Kudos: 18
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 22

Re: NORTON WON'T WORK AND AUTO FIX TOOL CANNOT FIX IT

Using NRT and/or re-install NIS is not always the best choice.

It was better post here. For example a Symantec Employee can ask you to make a test or upload install logs from C\:ProgramData\Norton.

What kind of update caused the error???
Contributor
drtobe_tony84

[ Edited ]

It was a very recent one about 8.3mb - all was fine before, then after a reboot (which Norton said needed one) the error appeared, and now I'm very confused/concerned whether my security has been Compromised etc.,? I've been with Norton for 3 yrs, but I am thinking about switching to a different security software as the bugs are terrible!!!!

Eleanor Roosevelt once said ~ "You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."
Axios
Topics: 90
Kudos: 18
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 22

Maybe was the firefox 7 update for NIS 2012. And maybe the error was only a false positive of NIS autofix.

In C:\ProgramData\NortonInstaller\Logs there are many logs: search today logs, zip it and attach to a new post so Symantec Employees can examine them and verify.

At this moment NIS is installed? is all Green? EICAR test file virus is detected? (try it)

Regular Contributor
DarkSta

[ Edited ]

I too have this problem:

Norton Internet Security
Error: 0, 0
Windows 7 Home Premium
7601.17640.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506
Norton Autofix Results: 1 item(s)
Installation :: Failed

I think it's something to do with a recent update cause I checked yesterday at 5:30 PM (BST) and I got no issue left to fix.  Also got 0 issues to fix.

Also, since you used the Norton Removal Tool WITHOUT uninstalling the product first using add/remove, there would be tons of debris remaining.  Therefore, I suggest to use the add/remove program to fully uninstall the product, restart and then run the removal tool twice (restarting between each attempt).  On a side note, if it does ask you to restart after you run the removal tool, the uninstallation was "dirty" and there are debris remaining.

After the second run of the removal tool (and restart), install the Norton product.

Contributor
drtobe_tony84

Yes all is green, I've attached todays logs

michaell
Topics: 4
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 14

Hello drtobe_tony84, this is a problem with the Firefox 7 patch that was released today. If you dont use firefox you should be ok. The devs are looking into the problem right now.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

drtobe_tony84:

As mentioned, troubleshooting is best done and more efficient with the program and error in place.  

Any removal of a Norton product should be through add remove first before using the removal tool, as sometimes other things can be affected.  

There is really no need to run the tool more than twice with a reboot after each one and that is usually in the case of severe programs.

If you are behind a router, it is nearly impossible to threaten your security over the short term provided you are not downloading things. 

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,845
Solutions: 779

Tony Weiss has posted a notice explaining that the installation failure report is erroneous and can be disregarded.  A fix is in the works.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Support-Reports-quot-Installation-Fai...

Regular Contributor
DarkSta

Update: Issue is now resolved! :smileyvery-happy:

Just received a Norton Product update and the issue with support is fixed!  Therefore, run LiveUpdate and recheck the issue.

http://i51.tinypic.com/zmz8mx.png

product update.png