Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
BajaBoojum
Accepted Solution

New Patch Fails to Install- NIS 16.5.0.135

About 20 minutes ago I ran a manual LiveUpdate.  It asked for a Reboot, which I did.

Another manual LiveUpdate downloaded a 10+Mb file, then asked for another reboot, which I did.

Another LiveUpdate then tried to install just the NIS Engine with the following error message: 

Norton 2009 Product Update

The Tech Report doesn't provide specfic information beyond try LiveUpdate again, which I have a run few more times with the same result.  I even ran it with Tamper Protection off, with no result.

Keylogger Crusher
Voyager10

Patch Problem NIS 16.7

i receive the Patch NIS09 16.7.2.9.

First Engine Fallback , after Reboot  comes 8,63MB Engine Patch but NIS do not Update the Version after repeated Reboot .

http://img529.imageshack.us/i/89008701.jpg/

and this 8,63MB Patch comes again and again and again (on WinXP).. 

The patch failure problem is on WinXP and Vista , What i can do now?

Rootkit Eradicator

Failed to Complete on Norton 2009 N.I.S. Engine Update - August 2009

- Ran Norton LiveUpdate, Downloaded and Installed the "Fallback" Update; request a Re-Start, so I Re-Started the computer.

- Upon Start-Up, I Ran Norton Live Update again.  Downloaded 10.10M.B. and told me it was Installing Four Updates.  Status: Failed to Complete.  The Four Updates were:

~ Streaming Virus Definitions.

~ Three Norton 2009 Product Updates, one of which Failed to Complete.

I Re-Started the computer.

- Upon Start-Up, I Ran Norton LiveUpdate, and the same Update, N.I.S. Engine, Failed to Complete.  Ran Norton LiveUpdate a few times with the same Results for that Update.  The second time I Ran it, Norton 2009 Virus Definitions were installed.

- I am still at Version N.I.S. 16.5.0.135.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Regular Contributor
Wikipedian

Re: Patch Problem NIS 16.7

According to the Norton TechGuys, the Norton LiveUpdate was malfunction and pushing you the patch when it wasn't supposed to.  They fixed the same problem I was having.  Just uninstall the NIS09, reboot, and reinstall it again.  Make to to run a liveupdate after you completed.

Hope that helps!

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard --President John F. Kennedy
Regular Contributor
Wikipedian

Re: Failed to Complete on Norton 2009 N.I.S. Engine Update - August 2009

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem as well!  It seems that you are not alone.  Other users are encountering the same problem. 

According to the TechGuys (I have just contacted Norton TechSupport a few minutes ago and found Norton LiveUpdate was malfunctioning and pushing the 16.7 update.

[edit: removed link to thread, since it was moved to this same thread.]

Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 08-10-2009 09:08 PM
We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard --President John F. Kennedy
Regular Contributor
Wikipedian

Re: New Patch Fails to Install- NIS 16.5.0.135

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem as well!  It seems that you are not alone.  Other users are encountering the same problem. 

According to the TechGuys (I have just contacted Norton TechSupport a few minutes ago and found Norton LiveUpdate was malfunctioning and pushing the 16.7 update.

[edit: removed link to thread, since it was moved to this same thread.]

Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 08-10-2009 09:08 PM
Volunteer
yogesh_mohan

Hi Bajaboojum,

Try restarting your computer and then run LiveUpdate once again. Let us know how it goes.

Yogesh

Regular Contributor
BajaBoojum

Do I really need to go to all that trouble?  Now LiveUpdate is telling me everything is OK, though it obviously didn't get me the patch.  Why not just wait until it's released again?
Symantec Employee
weil

No, you don't need to. This is patch failure. The NIS on your machine isn't harmed.

We will post an official posting shortly and working on correcting the situation.

Regular Contributor
Wikipedian

Because now, I assume there is now two files in the Norton Folder under Program Files (I'm using WinXP).  To avoid any problems (better safe than sorry) due to the presence of the two files, just uninstall NIS and reinstall it again from:

http://www.norton.com/nis09.