Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
TMC123

Norton 2011 free download?

[ Edited ]

is the popup  2011 norton antivirus free download for real ?

[edit: Clarified subject.]

Regular Contributor
Tywin7

Re: Popup to upgrade free to Norton Antivirus 2011

Yes its for real. See this announcement by a Symantec employee Tim Lopez: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Internet-Security-2011-and-Nor...

Norton Internet Security 2011 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (Check if you are eligable for a FREE Norton upgrade)
Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.”--Thomas Alva Edison
I'm not a Symantec employee and my posts do not represent the views of Symantec.
TMC123

thanks

floplot
Topics: 215
Kudos: 2,051
Solutions: 365

Hello TMC123

Yes, the popup is for real. If you have a current license for NAV 2006 thru 2010, you can upgrade for free to NAV 2011. If you have an older version than 2010, I would suggest the use of the removal tool.first, but be aware it will remove all Norton products. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Regular Contributor
Tywin7

Re: Norton 2011 free download?

Yes they are. See: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Internet-Security-2011-and-Nor...

YOu can download Norton AntiVirus 2011 from http://www.norton.com/nav11. Please be advised that unless you are upgrading from Norton AntiVirus 2009 and below or your product is not working as intended, an over install is recommended.  If you have Norton AntiVirus 2009 or below, follow the below steps to upgrade your product to the latest version.

The screenshots below are for the Norton Internet Security software but Norton AntiVirus and Norton Internet Security have similar settings and interface.

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool as well as the Norton AntiVirus Installation file to the desktop so that it can be easily found later

2. Physically disconnect your self from the internet. That could include yanking out the ethernet cable/telephone cable from the back of your computer/turning off your wireless with either the wireless switch on your computer or turning off your router.  This is to prevent any cyber attacks while you are vulnerable.  DO NOT RECONNECT UNTIL MENTIONED!

3. Uninstall the Norton software through the add/remove programs and let your computer reboot.

4. Upon reboot, run the Norton Removal tool installed earlier.  Upon completion, let your computer to reboot or reboot manually (not quite sure why on Windows 7 the NRT doesn't prompt a reboot).

5. Repeat step 4 two more times just to be sure.

6. Run the Norton AntiVirus 2011 installation file downloaded in step 1.  If you are using Windows Vista and above, right click the installation file and select run as adminstrator (as shown in the screenshot below).

7. Upon the completion of the installation, reconnect your internet.  Then run liveupdate repeatedly until all upgrades are complete.  You may delete the files you downloaded in step 1.
Norton Internet Security 2011 , Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (Check if you are eligable for a FREE Norton upgrade)
Success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration.”--Thomas Alva Edison
I'm not a Symantec employee and my posts do not represent the views of Symantec.