Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
Tube-Rider-Dude

Re: Norton ANTI-SPAM button - READER INPUT REQUIRED PLEASE!!!

Hi Tony,

In response to your question above and as forum member 'Ramoats' has already mentioned previously, we are doing nothing out of the ordinary to trigger this issue. 

Perhaps a step-by-step of my normal routine will help?

First thing in the morning I start my computer, I then wait for around a minute for everything to load and the hard disk light to stop flashing and then I usually launch Outlook Express as my first task to read my emails. Usually but not always the spam button is present at this stage. Having read my emails I then close Outlook Express and continue using my computer in the usual way.

Note! If the spam button is present, it will stay present so long as Outlook Express remains open.

Next I may surf the web for a while and then perhaps I will check my emails again shortly after. This time around when I launch Outlook Express the spam button might be there or it might not. It really is that simple! This is pretty much how it works throughout the day, sometimes it's there, sometimes not. Usually not in my case!

I'm no software technician but from a layman's point of view it seems that the process which triggers the spam button to launch inside Outlook Express and to become visible on the toolbar sometimes fails to trigger that launch successfully. It is only by jogging it's memory with a system restart or deactivating and then re-activating the client integration that it suddenly comes back to life. We just need to find a way to keep it alive.

Hope that helps?!

Tube-Rider-Dude

Regular Contributor
Tube-Rider-Dude

Update!

Hi Tony & ALL,

Okay so things are now becoming really weird!!  I ran the 'log tool' last night as requested by Tony but I could not recreate the problem of the disappearing spam button. Try as I might and believe me I did try, the slippery little devil was sticking firm. In the space of two maybe three hours I must have opened and closed Outlook Express 40 - 50 times without the problem surfacing!!

Ironically after quitting the test and shutting the 'log tool' down I opened Outlook Express one last time and the **bleep** thing had disappeared again. Talk about frustrating! :smileymad:

Well maybe I was just unlucky I thought, I've never really been the lucky type and so I re-booted my computer and ran the test again for around two more hours. Again the same thing, the spam button was present each time I launched Outlook Express and no amount of opening and closing would make it disappear again, ring any bells...?

Again I quit the 'log tool' and hey presto the problem returns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seemingly this log tool prevents the issue from happening or at least it appears that way.

Is anyone else experiencing this same trouble?

For now I have no option but to give up and suffer this god awful problem until my license expires unless of course the boys at Norton can find the culprit! :smileysad:

Tube-Rider-Dude

Regular Visitor
CelebrantCrusty

Tony & All,

I just remebered something that may be important in resolving this. Generally the button vanishes just after a live update session.

Eg: 9 minutes ago I had an automatic Norton live update. The button was there moments before. After the update the button was gone. Outlook express has been open for about 2 hours.

Looking at notes from earlier this year I had noted the same occurrence. Could be coincidental...

"Insanity is a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world." (R. D. Lang)
Regular Contributor
Tube-Rider-Dude

Hi CelebrantCrusty,

That's interesting.., not something I had considered myself. I've been trying to re-create this issue whilst running the 'info' gathering tool Tony sent us but I'm having no luck, I've tried three times now!! :smileymad:

I have asked Tony if he can clarify if the info tool prevents NIS from receiving updates, this may explain your theory and also why I cannot generate the issue with it running.

You mentioned that you had Outlook Express open for two hours and the button vanished whilst it was still open?! That's a new one on me, I thought it only ever happened if you close and then re-open it. How very odd!

Hopefully Tony will get back to us later with an update of how things are progressing, assuming someone has actually managed to re-create the issue while running the tool. Have you uploaded any info yourself?

Tube-Rider-Dude

Contributor
peggylenox

I just upgraded last week and the icon has disappeared each time I shut down the computer.  I've had Norton for many years and wondered why I no longer had a spam filter.  When I went to upgrade, I learned that it was not on the product I had but on NIS 2012, so that is what I downloaded. I don't turn off my computer every night, but both times I have, it disappeared.

The tech guy managed to get it back, but as soon as I turned it off, it was gone.  I have WinXp, OE 6.

Would appreciate help.  I really like having a spam filter and don't want to have to buy another.

Peggy

Regular Contributor
Tube-Rider-Dude

peggylenox wrote:

I just upgraded last week and the icon has disappeared each time I shut down the computer.  I've had Norton for many years and wondered why I no longer had a spam filter.  When I went to upgrade, I learned that it was not on the product I had but on NIS 2012, so that is what I downloaded. I don't turn off my computer every night, but both times I have, it disappeared.

The tech guy managed to get it back, but as soon as I turned it off, it was gone.  I have WinXp, OE 6.

Would appreciate help.  I really like having a spam filter and don't want to have to buy another.

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

Sorry to hear you are also experiencing problems with the 'anti-spam' button! If it's of any comfort to you, you've come to the right place for help, there's a number of people here also experiencing the same issues you mentioned.

Unfortunately there is no permanent fix for this problem, only a temporary one which is what the technical support guys have already attempted for you. Hopefully when the tech guys are all up-to-speed they'll stop attempting that fix since we all now know it doesn't work.

The good news is that some users have now uploaded logs from their computers at the request of Tony_Weiss (Forum Admin) in an effort to assist Norton in finding a resolution which it is hoped will come quite soon, I think we've all waited long enough by now.

The only advice I can really offer from one user to another is to keep an eye on this post and your private messages and hopefully we will all hear something soon.

Regards

Tube-Rider-Dude

Contributor
peggylenox

A really strange thing happened this morning.  I hadn't turned off the computer last night, so went in to read email and there was no anti-spam button as there hadn't been yesterday.  I then went to IE and read a few things.  Suddenly everything began to freeze -- couldn't even get to cont/alt/delete.  I was ready to push the off button and start again when suddenly everthing began working and the anti-spam button was back.  Go figure!  Very weird.  I sure missed that button this morning when first reading my e-mail asa there is SO much spam.  Hope they figure out what is causing this.  best, peggy

Regular Contributor
Tube-Rider-Dude

Hi Peggy

peggylenox wrote:

A really strange thing happened this morning.  I hadn't turned off the computer last night, so went in to read email and there was no anti-spam button as there hadn't been yesterday.  I then went to IE and read a few things.  Suddenly everything began to freeze -- couldn't even get to cont/alt/delete.  I was ready to push the off button and start again when suddenly everthing began working and the anti-spam button was back.  Go figure!  Very weird.  I sure missed that button this morning when first reading my e-mail asa there is SO much spam.  Hope they figure out what is causing this.  best, peggy

Nice to hear back from you, coincidentally after turning off my computer last night my spam button was missing this morning when I first launched Outlook Express! Actually I have re-launched it 5 times so far today and it's been missing on every occasion. I guess it's not called an 'anti-spam' button for nothing... LOL!!! :smileylol:

Personally I don't use IE and prefer Firefox myself. That said I have used it many times in the past and experienced similar issues to what you have encountered with freezing etc. There could be all manner of things causing that to happen, were you running any other memory intensive applications at the same time? It could be that the computer was performing some kind of background tasks which momentarily stole your system recourses or perhaps a program was receiving updates. Also if you're looking at web pages with lots of images it can cause a momentary freeze. Does this happen often?

You might try deleting all of your browsing history too and see if that helps. If you visit any particular sites often, first make sure you bookmark/save a link to that page before you do delete your history since it will delete ALL websites you've visited. Open 'Internet Explorer' and go to 'Tools' --> Delete Browsing History, or type (Ctrl+Shiftt+Del) whilst IE is open. There are also some user tick boxes where you can customize what you delete.

Let me know how it goes,

Best wishes

Tube-Rider-Dude

Contributor
peggylenox

Hi:  No, it doesn't freeze often.  In fact about the only time it does is when I use iTunes.  If I try to sync my iPhone 4s, it immediately freezes.  Apple doesn't seem to have an answer other than it isn't compatible with XP.  Not acceptable!  But this morning, I had several things open -- I usually do -- and when I tried to open "Freekibble", it stuck. But, happily, the icon is back, at least for now.  Re Firefox, I have it on my computer, but I'm so used to OE after so many years, I'm reluctant to try it.  I put it on my husband's computer because it is Win7 and it seems to me to not be as user friendly as OE, at least to me.  If the icon disappears again, you'll be the first to know!!  peggy

Regular Contributor
Tube-Rider-Dude

Hi Peggy,

peggylenox wrote:

Hi:  No, it doesn't freeze often.  In fact about the only time it does is when I use iTunes.  If I try to sync my iPhone 4s, it immediately freezes.  Apple doesn't seem to have an answer other than it isn't compatible with XP.  Not acceptable!  But this morning, I had several things open -- I usually do -- and when I tried to open "Freekibble", it stuck. But, happily, the icon is back, at least for now.  Re Firefox, I have it on my computer, but I'm so used to OE after so many years, I'm reluctant to try it.  I put it on my husband's computer because it is Win7 and it seems to me to not be as user friendly as OE, at least to me.  If the icon disappears again, you'll be the first to know!!  peggy

Although I cannot make any comment regarding the compatibility of your iPhone 4 whilst using XP, it is not unusual to experience momentary freezes during syncing. Your computer is likely exchanging a lot of data with your iPhone during a syncing session and depending on the storage capacity of your iPhone this could be many gigabytes!

If you do suffer the occasional freeze when using iTunes and this bothers you, try closing some of the programs you're no longer using. You'll find that not only will it free up those system recourse but also reduce the likelihood of freezing.

One thing that I encounter quite often when asked to look at my friends computers is that some of them never ever 'defragment' their hard drives, nor do they empty their recycle bins and they wonder why their computers are running so slowly! If you don't already do these things yourself I cannot recommend them enough, you'll be amazed at how much quicker your machine will run. Another tip I could recommend is to have a second hard drive installed if you don't already have one and keep all of your own  private files on that. Personally I never store anything on my C:Drive other than the programs I have installed and I find it's much easier to manage that way.

Also I see that you mentioned you have Firefox on your computer but you prefer OE?! I think you may be a little confused.., OE is short for Outlook Express which is where you read your emails. If you were referring to IE (Internet Explorer) which I suspect you were, that is your web browser.

If you no longer use or need Firefox, have you considered un-installing it? There's little point in my view in having a program installed if you don't actually use it. At the end of the day it's just another program taking up valuable real estate on your hard drive.

All the best,

Tube-Rider-Dude