Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
voyagersm

Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gaming Edition

Hi, today I find a interesting article http://www.gamertell.com/gaming/comment/norton-antivirus-2009-gaming-edition-promises-to-be-less-int...

My question is : Is this true?

Symantec Employee
reese_anschultz

Re: Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gaming Edition

Yes, it's true. It should be available through the Symantec storefront and other means within the next few weeks.
Reese Anschultz
Senior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation

Spyware Scolder
RavenMacDaddy

How will it differ since the 2009 products sort of are totally automatic... already and won't you release such an edition of NIS as well? If no - why?
Symantec Employee
reese_anschultz

RavenMacDaddy wrote:
How will it differ since the 2009 products sort of are totally automatic... already and won't you release such an edition of NIS as well? If no - why?

I don't have all of the details but Gaming mode works similarly to full screen application / silent mode with the addition of automatically reducing some network traffic settings to allow for greater throughput.

No NIS version to my knowledge. I can only speculate as to why not though.

Reese Anschultz
Senior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation

huwyngr
Topics: 1,000
Kudos: 2,713
Solutions: 368

<< No NIS version to my knowledge. I can only speculate as to why not though. >>

Oh please do! <g>

Odd that gamers should be considered less in need of security ..... Or was there no Silent Mode in NAV (I only beta'd NIS2009) and that is being added?

Hugh
Rootkit Eradicator

huwyngr wrote:

<< No NIS version to my knowledge. I can only speculate as to why not though. >>

Oh please do! <g>

Odd that gamers should be considered less in need of security ..... Or was there no Silent Mode in NAV (I only beta'd NIS2009) and that is being added?

Isn't that Feature already in N.I.S. 2009?

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Regular Contributor
Tech0utsider

Making the switch from NIS09 to NAV09, I could defininity feel a difference in terms of performance on my computer. NAV was defininity lighter, by a noticible margin.
=\
huwyngr
Topics: 1,000
Kudos: 2,713
Solutions: 368

<< Isn't that Feature already in N.I.S. 2009? >>

Yes -- that's why I asked

<< Or was there no Silent Mode in NAV...... and that is being added? >>

And then Reese says Silent Mode and more ....

Hugh
Symantec Employee
Garret_Polk

NAV and NIS 2009 both have the Silent Mode feature (one of my favorite new features). NAV 2009 Gamer Edition adds the Gamer Mode feature which extends the Silent Mode feature with some added extras. Gamer Mode will optionally turn off some features when Silent Mode engages. This is intended to help gamers get that extra little bit of performance boost when they are gaming. Gamer Edition also has a new UI theme that is EXTREME TO THE MAX.

There is no NIS Gamer Edition version.

Principal Software Engineer
Norton Research Labs
Rootkit Eradicator

Garret_Polk wrote:

NAV and NIS 2009 both have the Silent Mode feature (one of my favorite new features). NAV 2009 Gamer Edition adds the Gamer Mode feature which extends the Silent Mode feature with some added extras. Gamer Mode will optionally turn off some features when Silent Mode engages. This is intended to help gamers get that extra little bit of performance boost when they are gaming. Gamer Edition also has a new UI theme that is EXTREME TO THE MAX.

There is no NIS Gamer Edition version.

Hmmm... Just wondering why there is no N.I.S. Gamer Edition?  Is symantec trying to make people get Infected?  The reason why I ask is because Norton AntiVirus 2009 has no Firewall and other less Features which N.I.S. 2009 has which equals less Protection.
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]