Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
tommyj93

Norton AntiVirus using 99% of my CPU!

Hello, This issue is really starting to get under my skin. I cannot hardly access the internet or anything without waiting 1 to 2 minutes for google to load! Not only that, But when I try to run a scan it will take hours because the process ccSvcHst.exe is hogging all the CPU so it cannot even scan properly!

Hopefully, there is a quick fix I can run to remove this problem, and if you need my computer specs I will post them later cuz I cannot stand being on this computer more than necessary.

Thank you for any help I can get.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,965
Solutions: 293

Re: Norton AntiVirus using 99% of my CPU!

What operating system and service pack level are you running?  Do you have any other security software running?

What add-ons in which browser are you using?  What version of Norton, number under Support 18.x.x.x or other?

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
Visitor
tommyj93

My system is Microsoft windowsXP version 2002 service pack:3

With 2.19GHz and 1.00GB of RAM

No other security systems running 

No add-ons as far as I know

and the norton version i guess im not sure? I last bought norton in 2008, and have installed all current things whenever it pops up and says theres new stuff to download for it. If you could tell me where to look to see what version I have  that would be great thanks

Super Bot Obliterator
bjm_

Help and Support > About

Support > About

Product Update Announcements  NIS21.5 VistaSP2 FF31 IE9 Compaq A931NR

Visitor
tommyj93

oh ok thats its says version: 16.8.0.41

Visitor
tommyj93

ok well now that all my information is here, can anyone help me? thanks

Regular Contributor
BanMidou

The version is old Please update to newer one

Midou

Regular Contributor
BanMidou

Save your NOrton Key

in a safe place

Uninstall the old version run the removal tool

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

Before Proceeding with Rmeoval 

download the latest version of Norton

Please don`t have active net connection until you have uninstalled and installed the new NIS version

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

Here is a link to list of Norton Products

Midou

Regular Contributor
BanMidou

Please make a note of the serial key

before Proceeding with uninstall

Midou

AllenM
Topics: 227
Kudos: 2,160
Solutions: 379

Hi BanMidou,

Both of your links go to the same location (removal tool).

tommyj93, here is the full procedure which is recommended to upgrade to the latest NAV 2011. This includes use of the removal tool since you are having problems with your current version of NAV.

Before you use the removal tool, please download the full version of NAV 2011 from here. Please note that this is the English version so please let me know if you need a different language and I will provide the appropriate link.

Once you have downloaded NAV, you can proceed with use of the removal tool as indicated below.

Please NOTE that this removes ALL Symantec products so be sure to have your license keys ready as you will need to reinstall all your Symantec software products. You can get your Norton product key from your Norton Account.

Once done please download the Norton Removal Tool from Symantec from this link.

For your protection, disconnect from the Internet before continuing.

Do a conventional uninstall of NAV via the Control Panel and then restart your computer.

Run the Norton Removal Tool and once it is completed, please reboot your computer. Once up please run the Removal Tool one more time and once again reboot.

Then please install NAV 2011 from the full version downloaded earlier. Once installed please reconnect back to the Internet and run Live Update repeatedly (rebooting as requested) until it reports there are no more updates.

Hope this helps and please let us know how it goes.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19