Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
jesbmb

Norton Antivirus 2011 High CPU usage warning

Does anyone know why Norton gives a high CPU usage popup when only one program is running on an i7 processor.  Norton tells me that the CPU is at 100% capacity.

Thanks!

dickevans

Re: Norton Antivirus 2011 High CPU usage warning

Just a guess on my part but Norton difs deep into things and might be locking out other processes so that they don't mess up what it is trying to do. Remember that this is only a guess on my part

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
jesbmb

Dick,

Hey, thanks for the reply.  I've only seen the message once, albeit I haven't had the laptop that long (only a few weeks) and have not used it in a few days but it just seemed strange and I was trying to learn a little more about the situation.  I was starting a very basic 3D model in Rhino and then I suddenly got this pop-up telling me I am using a large amount of my processor.  Do you think this is just due to Norton running its background scan at that time.  Would it help to limit Norton to only one thread instead of the current setting of Auto?  100% seems like a weird message.  I'm very new to Norton so I'm just really trying to get my bearings.

Regular Contributor
Kelly

A guess on my part as well -

I think the NIS High CPU Usage warning is keyed to how Windows sees things (i.e., through Windows Task Manager).  Task Manager seems to show high CPU Usage if any one of several cores is running at full throttle, even though other cores may be idle/parked or show only minimal resources being used.  Most probably it's the end result of the OS being developed before the i-7 processors were fielded, so that's the way Windows reads it.  I get this sometimes with a laptop running Pinnacle Studio (Windows 7, i-7 processor, 8GB ram).  I get the Norton High CPU use warning, but looking at the Intel processor monitor it shows one or two cores in heavy use, but lots of CPU resource to spare.  So my guess is so goes Windows Task Manager so goes Norton when it comes to the high CPU/high memory warnings.  But only Symantec and the developers of the product know for sure :)

Regards,

Kelly

jesbmb

Thanks, Kelly - I'll see how everything acts in the next few days - I might be on here again soon if I start noticing performance issues

Symantec Employee
reese_anschultz

This isn't an area of the product that I'm very familiar with. These alerts indicate an application that is using a lot of CPU so that you know why your system may not be performing as you expect. I suspect that you got a notification that Rhino was using a lot of CPU. Modeling applications by their very nature tend to be very CPU intensive and can trigger these notifications. It doesn't sound like anything that you should be particularly worried about.

Reese Anschultz
Senior Software Quality Assurance Manager, Symantec Corporation