Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Cnfused

Norton Bootable Recovery Tool - NBRT

[ Edited ]

I have downloaded Norton Bootable Recovery Tool - NBRT.iso .  I have burned the iso file to a CD using the wizard and the

recommended GEAR software.  None of the CDs will boot.

Today I called technical support ( case no XXXXXXXXX). The technician logged into my computer and burned another CD using the wizard. That CD also would not boot.

The computer in question will boot with a Win XP CD or a Seagate "SeaTools" CD or a Western Digital "Data LifeGuard" CD.

It also boots with my "Norton Ghost 15" CD. 

I would like to thank anyone ahead of time that might have a solution for my dilemma. 

<<Edit: Masked the Case ID to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service>>

Super Keylogger Crusher
mythbuster

Re: Norton Bootable Recovery Tool - NBRT

cnfused,

Are you attempting to use this tool to remediate any threats in the WinPE environment? This will be usable only when you have any of the Norton security products, such as Antivirus and Internet Security. Please excuse me if this is something that you already knew. Btw, what version of Norton AntiVirus or Internet security do have?

I'm just trying to eliminate any confusion between the Symantec Recovery Disk and Norton Bootable Recover Tool. The former is used for physical recovery of your computer, while the later is used for remediating infections in the PE environment.

-MbR

"Mythbuster is now a SUPER keylogger crusher" - MbR
Visitor
Cnfused

mythbuster

Thankyou for your response and interest

I am not working with WinPE.

The PC that I am trying to run NBRT on does not have any Norton products on it yet. This PC has a virus and won't boot. I thought that NBRT would be a great tool to try and correct the problem.  When I try and boot with the CDs that I made I receive an error message

CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5

I have uninstalled Norton Products for this PC

Norton Internet Security 2011

Norton Utilities

Norton Ghost 15

I have tried the same exact steps on another PC and have not encountered this error and it boots ok.

To repeat myself, the PC that wont boot with NBRT does boot with out any problems with WIN XP cd and AVG Rescue CD.

Thankyou cnfused

Visitor
Cnfused

2nd reply to Mythbuster

I didn't mention in my previous reply that the 2nd PC that I tried doesn't have any installed Norton Products either.

Thanks  cnfused

AllenM
Topics: 227
Kudos: 2,164
Solutions: 379

Cnfused wrote:

2nd reply to Mythbuster

I didn't mention in my previous reply that the 2nd PC that I tried doesn't have any installed Norton Products either.

Thanks  cnfused

Hi Cnfused,

Welcome to the Norton Community. While lack of a Norton product will not prevent the NBRT from booting, it will prevent you from using the tool even when you do boot from it.

The NBRT will search your system for a qualified Norton product and if it does not find one it will ask you for a product key. If you have a valid product key it will allow you to continue, otherwise it won't.

You mention having uninstalled NIS 2011. Does this mean you have a current subscription and product key for NIS?

Based on your description I also don't believe you are using the latest NBRT. Please give the one a try from the following link and see if you have any better luck.

http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/nbrt.aspx?pname=NIS&tooltype=nbrt&lcid=1033&ssdcat=220&oslocale=is...

Also what kind of error message do you get when you attempt to boot from the NBRT?

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Visitor
Cnfused

Dear Allen M

I will answer your questions

Also what kind of error message do you get when you attempt to boot from the NBRT?

CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5

You mention having uninstalled NIS 2011. Does this mean you have a current subscription and product key for NIS?

Yes I do have a current subscription and product key. I would like to get past the BOOT ERROR and enter the

Product Key

Based on your description I also don't believe you are using the latest NBRT. Please give the one a try from the following link and see if you have any better luck.

http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/nbrt.aspx?pname=NIS&tooltype=nbrt&lcid=1033&ssdcat=220&oslocale=is...     

I visited the above site. NBRT doesn't show a version on the download. The one that I am using is the same 

file  size 390 KB and was downloaded 4/15/2011

I believe that I have answered your questions.

Thanks cnfused

AllenM

[ Edited ]

HI Cnfused,

Thanks for the update.

Please see the image below. Is this what you see after you downloaded the NBRT? One of the choices on the menu as you can see is to create an ISO file but you are better off to use the NBRT wizard to directly burn either a startup CD or if your system supports booting from USB flash drive, then I would recommend creating a USB boot instead of CD.

If you do not see the image below after running the NBRT file you downloaded then you should give this a try.

In other words you do NOT need to use the Gear software as the newest NBRT wizard is fully self-contained. Many people had trouble with the old NBRT tool trying to use third party tools to burn the startup CD so Symantec has made the newest NBRT a 100% self contained wizard.

Best wishes.

Allen

nbrt screen.png

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

[ Edited ]

Cnfused wrote:

I have tried the same exact steps on another PC and have not encountered this error and it boots ok.

To repeat myself, the PC that wont boot with NBRT does boot with out any problems with WIN XP cd and AVG Rescue CD.

Thankyou cnfused

If it boots on one system then the disk works fine .  The problem then lies with the system that won't boot it.

Just because the system in question can boot other disks like XP or DOS doesn't mean it can boot every CD.

The NBRT is a Windows 7 PE disk  (Yes it is a PE disk).  It boots differently than a XP disk and requires a lot more RAM.

I think it may be due to the motherboard, I recall some older motherboards that could boot XP disks but not Vista and some that could boot Vista disks but not Windows 7.  Each of these disks use slightly different boot sectors and it's the Motherboard that needs to be able to "interpret" them and read that code.

You can test that by seeing if the system is able to boot a retail Windows 7 disk and being able to enter the recovery console (startup repair options).

Dave

Edit- Here is a link to one of the Microsoft forums with the same problem and some of the posts correctly identify it as a motherboard or BIOS problem.

Some of these users had no trouble booting other CD's including Vista.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/0729c411-84be-45b4-8725-67fe49b...

AllenM

[ Edited ]

Hi Dave,

Understood that the CD is probably OK but I also want to make sure that the NBRT is the latest one because it will have the most recent engines, etc.

The older NBRT almost certainly would not be based on Windows 7 and I still believe that is what the OP has been using.

I could be remembering wrong but I believe the Ghost 15 SRD also uses Win 7 PE. At the oldest it is Windows Vista but I thought I remembered it being Win 7. If it is in fact Windows 7 PE then if it boots, the NBRT should also boot.

I have just seen too many people have too many problems with the old NBRT trying to burn the ISO with 3rd party software.

Allen

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

The Ghost 15 recovery disk is based on Vista SP1 and I imagine the next version will be as well because the new version of BESR 2011 is still Vista based.

The NBRT has always been based on Windows 7 as long as I have used it.  I can't remember when the first one I made was, maybe late last year?

I think it was the release of the Norton 2011 product line that included the setup to make the tool through the start menu and thats the first time I made one.  So unless you can get a setup from before Norton 2011 I'm not sure if you could make a previous disk.  (Unless you manually change the boot sector of the ISO to Vista with something like UltraISO).

I would suggest making a bootable flash drive.

That would work because a hard drive boot is much different than a CD boot and any system could handle it.

However, if the system BIOS can't support the 7 disk then chances are it can't boot to USB.

Dave