Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Contributor
john7

Norton Bootable Recovery Tool demanding my key

I have 2012 which is activated. I downloaded and installed Norton Bootable Recovery Tool and created, just in case needed, I usb device. Luckily I tried it, it demands my registration key even though it says with an activated Internet Security I don’t need it. How do I get one working that doesn’t what the key?

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Re: Norton Bootable Recovery Tool demanding my key

Difficult to follow your post. The NBRT requires a valid key to use it.If you have an activated installed Norton AV product you must have the key? Have you lost your key? You cannot bypass the key requirement.

Contributor
charie22

[ Edited ]

Yes john7, you need to have the product key entered so you will be able to run NBRT. The only reason it asked for your product key is because NBRT is running in the Recovery Console of your computer so it might not be able to detect the Norton product that you had installed and activated on the Normal mode of your computer. If you have the product key, just type it in so you can proceed, if not, you can access your Norton account via www.mynortonaccount.com to get your product key (if you bought the product online or registered the product on your Norton account if you purchased it from the retail store) or contact customer service to get your product key.

Hope this clarifies your confusion.:smileywink:

Super Contributor
john7

Thanks for reply’s, I am dyslexic so entering things like software keys is a real pain.

The versions have used before (just booted into one and there is my product key)  using loads with my key already in the space for adding it. Indeed the new one says if you have activated your Nor5ton product you will not need to type it in. But I have reinstalled it and it is NOT adding my key for the program on the USB stick as former versions and,  (as I am told on the screen where you need to add the key) should be already added if an activated product.  My account is administrator and had no problem creating earlier versions with my key already added.

So the question is how do you get it to create a boot product with the key already in place as it should and former versions did?

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

John,

On the difficulty you have with entering the key may I suggest you check for a file Key.txt on your PC, probably in one of the User ... folders at the top level and make a copy of it somewhere you can find it easily.

Then you can just mouse swipe the key to highlight it / CTRL + C to copy and then Right mouse click in the box for it and Select Paste (or use CTRL + V to do that)

Norton will break it up into the groups from the single string if that's the way you find it.

Of course it the computer won't boot up then ......

BTW I think that I heard that one reason you have to provide the key when using is that the Norton Bootable Recover Disk uses WinPEas its operating system and that Microsoft only allows this if you pay money (in one form or another) to use it.  Otherwise one could duplicate copies of the disk and let others use it who did not pay for the utility that uses it. Since NBRT is free/bundled with your Norton puchase then that's how Microsoft gets satisfied.

I'm pretty sure that's it and why bootable recovery disks that use Linux can be obtained free of charge.

Hugh
Super Contributor
john7

[ Edited ]

Hugh

Thanks, with in window I don’t have input problems either Vault or a list of passwords to copy into where needed.

The problem is every former version of Norton Bootable Recovery Tool Wizard creats USB devices with the bootable program with my Norton key. Thus I do not have to input in as its already there.

Indeed with the new one when you get to the boot screen where you need to input the key to progress it tells you if your product, in my case NIS, has been activated you will not need to input the key. Eather there is something wrong with the program or something wrong with my install (done twice)as the key for an activated NIS should be copied into the program on the USB device as in the former versions.

The help file says

Note:

If you already installed and activated any one of the following Norton product on your computer, you do not have to enter the Product Key for Norton Bootable Recovery Tool:

• Norton Internet Security 2010 or later

• Norton AntiVirus 2010 or later

• Norton 360 version 3.0 or later

John

Super Contributor
john7

Solved it I uninstalled again and this time cleaned out {NBRT50-B26-Retail-4abb-B07C-C084B04B4F12} and again re down loaded. This time the booted program contains my Norton key!

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

john7 wrote:

Solved it I uninstalled again and this time cleaned out {NBRT50-B26-Retail-4abb-B07C-C084B04B4F12} and again re down loaded. This time the booted program contains my Norton key!

Thanks for the feedback -- it's amazing how often a corrupted download/installation is the cause. One reason I don't like Download Managers but prefer to download a single file when I can and then run it when the computer is under my control.

Hugh