Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Bobfm

Norton Has Started Blocking legitimate Sites

I use Google Chrome and have had issues of HTTPs sites being blocked by Google, now it seems Norton Security 2012 has caught the bug. What is going on. It's blocked the BBC and the Google search page to name but 2.

Sorry I can't seem to get the paste in to work

Edjr60

Re: Norton Has Started Blocking legitimate Sites

Bobfm wrote:

I use Google Chrome and have had issues of HTTPs sites being blocked by Google, now it seems Norton Security 2012 has caught the bug. What is going on. It's blocked the BBC and the Google search page to name but 2.

Sorry I can't seem to get the paste in to work

Hi Bobfm,

To post a screen shot in the forum click HERE 

Ed

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,683
Solutions: 759

[ Edited ]

Hi Bobfm,

You haven't provided much to go on but since you mention https sites, I am guessing you might be seeing invalid site certificate warnings.  If your system date is incorrect, it will cause this issue.  So, first thing, check your system time and date for accuracy.

Visitor
Bobfm

My system clock is correct that is what was also suggested on Chrome forum, in the end I solved the Chrome issue (Google blocking) by unchecking proxy server setting. This new problem has literally only occurred in the last few days. When I check the site manually with safe web it shows nothing suspect.

It has been on such sites as bbc.co.uk, even my own site carpentersarmsmotel.co.uk . A friend said he has Mcafee and it's doing the same in his case blocking ebay and even paypal.

Is it possible that there is a virus actually attacking security software.

SendOfJive

You still haven't posted a screenshot or provided a description of the page block.  Without knowing what reason is being given for blocking the site, or what program is initiating the block, it is difficult to say what is going on.

Visitor
Bobfm

The message, is the standard Suspicious Web Page Blocked in this case www.bbc.co.uk/news . It goesd on about visiting Symantic and reading about phishing etc. It gives the option to visit page anyway.

I have taken the screen shot but can't seem to put in a format this site will accept. I have received a report back from Symantic that says they cannot replicate the fault so can do no more.

SendOfJive

You stated in your opening post that the problem occurred on secure sites.   www.bbc.co.uk/news is not a https site.  I am able to visit it with no issues.  If I use https:// it simply reverts to a non-secure page.

Visitor
Bobfm

Yes it was, including my EON account login. but as I said not every time, it is very random. On the lyco.co.uk site. I get to the front page then I can't navigate it takes me to a blank page.

As it's happening it seems on macafee as well there seems something really odd. Is this another flame every one is keeping quiet about. My wife was in the Post Office this morning and they were having problems with customer cards being rejected. A conversation ensued and it seems many in the queue were experiencing computer issues over the last week or so.

It just would be nice if there was an unresolved issue people were honest.

Regular Visitor
MarchHare

[ Edited ]

I am getting this too. Not using HTTPS sites. On my home page WWW.BBC.CO.UK.

Sometimes using Chrome sometimes Firefox. Exit this site and try again, it loads normally.

blocked page.JPG

Tony_Weiss
Topics: 554
Kudos: 1,982
Solutions: 302

Thanks for reporting this one to us; our team is researching this detection, and it should be resolved shortly.

We also have a web submission form for sites that have been flagged in error (it would be the "SafeWeb - Phishing URLs, Malicious Web Pages" one):

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

I should have an update shortly. Thanks again for your help.

Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation