Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Securityfan
Accepted Solution

Norton Internet Security 2010 and Windows XP Defragmenter

Good Evening:

This evening, I upgraded to NIS 2010.  I uninstalled NIS 2005 w/Antispyware using the Norton Removal Tool (3 times with rebooting).  Then, I successfully installed NIS 2010 with no issues.

However, I've noticed that when I now run Windows XP defragmenter, I get a message that says "Some files on this volume could not be defragmented."  Is that normal when NIS 2010 is running?

Thanks,

John

Dell XPS 400

Windows XP MCE 2005 SP3

IE 7

AllenM
Topics: 227
Kudos: 2,161
Solutions: 379

Re: Norton Internet Security 2010 and Windows XP Defragmenter

[ Edited ]

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. What is the exact version of NIS 2010 that you have? You can find this from Help and Support>About. You should have version 17.5.0.127.

I have not seen this specific issue reported but it is possible if defrag is attempting to move key NIS files.

Please try disabling Tamper Protection in Misc. settings and then try defrag again. See if this resolves the issue.

Please don't forget to re-enable Tamper protection afterwards.

It is also very possible that NIS is not what is blocking those particular files from being defragmented. You can also try disabling both Tamper Protection and Auto-Protect, if this does not help it seems unlikely NIS is causing the issue.

Did you ever see this before installing NIS 2010?

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hello Securityfan

Perhaps this site will help you to understand what it means when it says some files could not be defragmented.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.hel...

Please let us know if this site has been of any help. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

AllenM

Hi John,

If you can give us the list of files (or some of the key ones) which Windows cannot defragment we can tell you if they are related to NIS.

There are some OS files which are not allowed to be moved, etc. This is why many disk defrag utilities have an off-line defrag mode where it can optimize everything including Windows OS files.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Contributor
Securityfan

Hi, Allen:

Thanks for the information.

When I get home this evening, I will try disabling Tamper Protection and Auto-Protect - then defragment.  I will report back the results, along with the NIS 2010 version number.

I never had this problem before.  It only occured post NIS 2010 installation.

Regarding the defragmentation report, the list is empty.

I did, however, notice something different when I ran chkdsk (Check Disk) post NIS 2010 installation.  I noticed that when I ran chkdsk, that the USN Journal was being checked (verified).  That item was never checked (verified) when running chkdsk prior to NIS 2010 installation.  Could that be the issue?

Thanks,

John

Contributor
Securityfan

Allen:

To answer your questions:

The version of NIS 2010 I have installed is 17.5.0.127

I tried disabling Tamper Protection and both Tamper Protection and Auto-Protect.  I ran disk defragmenter after both suggestions, and still received the following message

Defragmentation is complete for: (C:)

Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.

Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.

However, the defragmentation report list is empty.

I've never seen this message before installing NIS 2010.

Note my comment about USN Journal in a previous response to you.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

John

AllenM

Hi John,

Thanks for the information. Regarding the USN Journal, no I don't think that has anything to do with the defrag issue. On a complete chkdsk there are 5 stages and the USN Journal is checked. Depending on what switches you run chkdsk with will largely determine whether chkdsk goes through 3 stages of checks or all 5. For example if you just run chkdsk or chkdsk /f I believe (as I recall) it will only go through 3 stages and probably exclude the USN Journal. If you do a chkdsk /r it will go through all 5 stages and should check the USN Journal along with everything else, along with doing repairs as needed.

Checking or not checking the USN Journal would not have anything to do with NIS.

The main thing is that you should run chkdsk /r and ensure no errors are reported. For the system drive Windows should inform you that it needs to reboot to run the check. If this reports clean your all set from that perspective. If it finds and corrects any errors, it is probably a good idea to run it one more time to make sure no errors come back.

As far as the defrag, not sure what to tell you there. I think it is nothing to worry about as long as the defrag completes successfully. Are you using the built in Windows defrag or a third party utility? You might want to compare two different ones and see if there is any difference. I think there is still a good chance that any files which might not have been defragged are OS files, many of which are not able to be defragged.

If the OS files are the ones being blocked from defragging, perhaps the Windows defrag program will not even list them out. So comparing to a third party defragger would be useful.

In the end, if you look at the amount of fragmentation before and after defrag completes and it successfully defragged the drive down to a resonable percentage, you can safely ignore this message.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Allen

Tech83
Topics: 56
Kudos: 171
Solutions: 27

Hi! Securityfan,

I have something that might help, I'll private message you the details.

Contributor
Securityfan

Thanks for the information, Allen.

I may have to simply live with the fact that some files will not defragment.

I was, however, interested in your comment regarding a third party defragmenter.  Is there a specific third party defragger that you would recommend that I try?

John

AllenM

Hi John,

There are so many good defrag utilities out there. The one I take a particular liking to is PerfectDisk made by Raxco as it is highly customizable and has a good defragger for both online and offline defragging.

PerfectDisk can be found at: http://www.perfectdisk.com/home

Thanks

Allen