Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Joelltzx

Norton Internet Security 2011 has killed my PC

[ Edited ]

I have been using NIS without any problems for many years. Yesterday, after I loaded the 2011 version, upon restart, my system crashed to the Blue Screen of Death. I spent 6 hours with people in India at 4 levels (ticket # [removed]) and they were totally incompetent. They could not articulate what was wrong or what they were doing. Prior to calling them I could enter safe mode. By the time they were done, I could not get into safe mode. So much for letting people fix a machine remotely. Also, at one point one of them attempted to open a Turbotax file, but I closed it down. They left the machine worse than it was when it crashed. and told me I'd have to get it fixed before they could help me.  Say What??   Isn't that their job. Note that everything was fine before I installed NIS2011 and now my PC is totally unusable.

Now I have to pay $150 to get it fixed and spend days reloading s/w and data. I am totally pissed w/ Symantec. No one should have to go through the crap you have put me through. I want some real support. There is no excuse for this. Software should not create more problems than before it was installed.

Joel

[edit: removed support case number per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]

Tech83
Topics: 55
Kudos: 168
Solutions: 27

Re: Norton Internet Security 2011 has killed my PC

Hi! Joelltzx,

Welcome to the Norton Community! :)

My apologizes for your bad experience (also if I got your screen name wrong).

Generally a PC will not up and give a BSOD without an underlying issue; could you please provide as much information as you can from the Blue screen that you recieve.  Also please provide the name of your OS and Service Pack level installed (i.e.; Windows XP SP3, Window Vista SP2, Windows 7 as well as 32-bit or 64-bit).

Tech83 :)  PC Bench repair technician.

Visitor
Joelltzx

Windows XP SP3 32 bit

STOP 0x0000007E(0xC0000005,0x80505776,0xF78A2510,0xF78A220c)

This system had no problems before I installed NIS2011. When it prompted me to "Restart" the system, the whole thing came tumbling down. Norton Internet Security 2011 has totally wiped out my system. BTW, your "technicians" asked for none of this info, even though I offered it.

Joel

huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,822
Solutions: 376

Sorry about your bad experience -- let's hope you can get some hands on help here to get it right.

Do you have XP installation media (preferably slipstreamed to SP3)? Booting to it and using the Repair function might help and it is not the same as doing a factory restore which wipes out all your files. But hang on to see what Tech83 or others have to suggest.

You said in your first message: << Yesterday, after I loaded the 2011 version, >>

Could you give some background to the loading. Were you reinstalling NIS 2011. updating from and earlier version (if so which) and do you have any other security software installed?

Did you get the NIS 2011 by downloading it or from a CD or ....

Any background is a help when troubleshooting and since we can't see or manipulate the computer we need to get it from you.

Is the computer a desktop or a laptop? Any changes or updates to it recently? The error message you got is typical of driver problems according to Microsoft:

How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP 

Hugh
Tech83

Hi! Joelltzx,

I am sorry this is such a headache for you; however I do not work for Symantec I only provide support here on the Noron Forums.

Can you get into Safe Mode?

Tech83  :)

Bot Obliterator
Quads

From message 1

"Prior to calling them I could enter safe mode. By the time they were done, I could not get into safe mode. So much for letting people fix a machine remotely"

Quads

Tech83

[ Edited ]

Hi! All,

My apologizes; I am using a new internet connection and it seems some of my message(s) are losing some content.

Please bear with me as it may take some time for some of the glitches to get ironed out.

Thanks,

Tech83

Hi! Joelltzx,

I do understand that you cannot get into Safe Mode what I was trying to ask in my previous post was: Can you get into Safe Mode with just the Command Prompt?  If not, do you have a full installation disc of your version of Windows?  Most PC manufacturers' do not include a full installation disc but instead include a recovery disc which will wipe out all data and install the software as it was when the computer shipped.