Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
BluueSpruce

Norton Internet Security 2013 install prevents other programs from running

I installed Norton Internet Security version 2013 on my Windows 7 64bit system last evening and discovered that a number of my other programs would not run.

1) Outlook 2007 ran, but when I tried to open a mail message, I received an error message.

2) Word 2007 would not run at all. I was greeted with an error message.

3) Even FreeCell, a microsoft free game would not run.

The error messages for each of the above three programs were different from each other.

I did not try any other programs.

I restored a backup to bring my system back to the point just before I installed NIS 2013. I then ran every program I have on my system just to be sure they were all functioning correctly.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestons.

By the way, I installed NIS 2013 on two Windows 7 32bit systems and on one Windows Xp 32 bit system without problem

Visitor
BluueSpruce

Re: Norton Internet Security 2013 install prevents other programs from running

One additonal obversation: After trying to run various programs that presented me with an error message, I tried to restart my Window 7 64bit machine. When I clicked on the Start icon in the lower left, the menu with the Shutdown > selection appeared, but at that point the system locked up. I had to manually power off and restart. I tried to do software restart twice more with the same results.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

[ Edited ]

Do you now or have you ever had another security program on your computer? If so, you will have to remove it with the removal tool for that program.

Did you install 2013 as an upgrade or a new installation?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Visitor
BluueSpruce

Norton Internet Security is the only security software that has ever been installed on my Windows 7 64bit PC. The installation of the NIS 2013 update was prompted by the NIS 2012 version that was running.

peterweb

Can you tell us the error messages you were getting when the programs would not run?

If you are feeling adventurous, you could let NIS upgrade to 2013 again and get some screenshots.

Instructions to post screenshots can be found here
http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/m-p/254...

Visitor
BluueSpruce

I am securely backed up so I will upgrade to NIS 2013 again and post the error messages for each of the programs that will not function correctly, or will not run at all. If possible, I will also do screen captures and post them as well. It will take me a couple of days to complete. Thanks.

Visitor
BluueSpruce

I am a bit perplexed. I upgraded to NIS 2013 again (third time) to capture program error messages and screen shots and discovered that all my programs work without error and with no system lockups.

During and after the upgrade I ran into two seemingly minor issues that I was able to quickly resolve. Rebooting after the initial installation and running Live Update, the USB mouse became disabled; however, after disconnecting and reconnecting its USB cable, the problem disappeared and has not returned. The second issue I encountered was Norton NIS error message 3048,3. I ran the Norton NPE.exe program as recommended by Norton which found a ...\appdata\roaming\ContentGuard entry that it claimed was a threat and was to be deleted. I did so and the error message has not returned.

Hopefully all is now stable. What is perplexing is that I followed the exact same procedure three times starting from exactly the same system state since I restored from the same backup after each attempt. In fact, the upgrade and validation process is almost completely automatic, and yet it was not successfull until the third attempt. I suppose as in Shakespeare's play, all's well that ends well.

peterweb

Glad to hear you got things right again.

We have to remember, we are working with Windows. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.