Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
JAK_SPYRO
Accepted Solution

Norton Internet Security 2013 not detecting many Trojans and Adwares

I have a pretty fast computer and I am using Norton for about 2 years. I like it and I feel safe while it's on but there is a problem that I don't know if all anti-viruses would act the same or it's that the viruses were not yet found to be patched. I noticed a malware in my PC lately because of PC crashing and slowing down so I updated my Norton to it's latest update and did a Full-System Scan. It did not find anything until it froze in Locallow. I asked for help from a friend so he installed Malwarebytes on my computer and did a Full scan on that. It found 42 Trojan Horses and Adwares in registry and System. So my question here is that is this normal for all other antiviruses too or should I go for Kaspersky Pure 3.0? Please be honest.

Regular Contributor
intesec

Re: Norton Internet Security 2013 not detecting many Trojans and Adwares

Hi JAK_SPYRO

The reality seems to be that no one product does it all for security software.  Having additional on demand scanners seems to be what people do and if you would like some links to on demand scanners then please repost.  Research on the internet to assess the decision you are thinking of making by using independent websites and forums to check out your question.

ATB

intesec

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,794
Solutions: 776

Hi JAK_SPYRO,

Malwarebytes' is an excellent program, but its scan results presentation can often make things appear more dire than they actually are.  You may have some type of malware or unwanted software on your machine, but it is unlikely that Norton missed 42 Trojans and other threats.  Malwarebytes' will alert to system changes that may have been caused by malware that is no longer present on the machine.  It will also alert to things such as PUPs (which are not considered to be malware), as well as changed system settings that are often the result of legitimate programs rather that malware.  Furthermore, MBAM will frequently list multiple separate registry keys, files and other objects that may all belong to only one infection, so it may appear that there are more threats present than there actually are.  

So the bottom line is that 42 detections does not necessarily mean that you have 42 different infections, that the threats are actually significant risks, or that the threats are even still on your system.  With Malwarebytes' you really have to study the scan log to see what type of threats were found and where the threats are located.  Malwarebytes' is a very good program and it will catch a lot of real threats, but the way it presents information can make things look worse than they actually are if you do not intrepret the results correctly.  Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/malwarbyte-antivirus/m-p/820152/highlight/true#M79870

Visitor
JAK_SPYRO

Hey,

Thank you for taking your time to help. The picture that you showed me in the link is almost the same as mine but for me it didn't really find PUPs, it only found Trojans and Adwares and 90% of them were in the registry. It removed them all with no problem and my computer does not freeze anymore thanks to Malwarebytes.

There is only 1 last problem i have and it's my whole computer crashing and giving me black screens when i do an antivirus scan in the LocalLow folder. There could be 2 things, it can either be infected or it can just be too secured by windows.

peterweb
Kudos: 1,359
Solutions: 340

As you have marked this thread as solved, you should start a separate thread for your scan issue. Many readers may skip a thread marked Solved, and you may not get the help you are requesting.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.