Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
PaulJones

Norton Internet Security Renewal Question

I was gong to upgrade NIS, but it turned out cheaper to buy it new.  I already had NIS 2013 installed (via version updgrade/download).  Is there an easy way to plug in the new (boxed) key and continue along, or do I have to uninstall/reinstall using the CD in the box?  (I have to do this on 3 PCs).

PC_confused
Topics: 120
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 28

Re: Norton Internet Security Renewal Question

Hello PaulJones and welcome to the Community.  If I understand correctly, you already have NIS 2013 installed and you are not having any problems with it?  I can only talk for NIS 2012 but you need to wait until you only have a day or two left on your current subscription.  If you renew early, with a new key, you might lose any existing days left on your subscription.  Then open your NIS 2013 window, click on the renew option, then click in I have a key, then just enter that new key number.  You will probably have to go through a short activation process, but then you should be done.  I think you'll have to do the same thing on the other two PC's, but you shouldn't have to download a new version.  I hope this helps and if you would, would you come back and let us know if this helped.. 

Contributor
PaulJones

Thanks for the suggestions, bu there seems to be no sign of a:

I have a key or code to enter.

when I click renew in NIS 2013 I am basically given a screen that says:

(Check box) Thank you

You have successfully activated and register Norton Internet Security, and now have 2
days of protection for up to 3 PC(s).  For Install Instructions, click here.

With Norton Account you can:

>Manage your Norton products

> Get the laster produce updates

> Access specal offers.

To access Norton Acount please click here.

I also had previously found essentiall the same answer at:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080409073508EN_EndUs...

But it's just not clear where one puts in the new key.

Contributor
PaulJones

On the Norton web site, what I'm not seeing is the #4 on their list.  I get the other screen.  The links for that in the window I do get (outlined above), seem to be to the Norton account URL.  If there was a way to plug a new key there, that would be fine too, but I could not find it.

Regular Contributor
ferenzzz

Hi Paul,

You should take a look at NIS when you have the main screen from the app...

So when you click on the icon in your right corner that way NIS will pop up your screen.. there should be a "Renew" at the bottom of the app.. click on that, you should not be in Norton Account.. just the start up screen NIS will show... click on Renew and copy/paste your key or type it in, whatever you want...

Contributor
PaulJones

Renew always takes me to Norton Account, but if I went the Support > there was an Enter Product Key, and I plugged that in, seems to have "taken".   So I guess I'm good to go now.  Thanks.

Super Phishing Phryer
avjohnnie

[ Edited ]

PaulJones wrote:

On the Norton web site, what I'm not seeing is the #4 on their list.  I get the other screen.  The links for that in the window I do get (outlined above), seem to be to the Norton account URL.  If there was a way to plug a new key there, that would be fine too, but I could not find it.

Hi Paul,

Try using these steps...

1) Locate and left-click the NIS Task tray icon in the lower left corner of your Windows Desktop (near the time display) -

NIS Task Tray Icon.png

2) In the NIS main GUI that appears locate the Subscription Status line and left-click "Renew" (next to the days remaining counter) -

Renew.png

3) On the popup dialog box that appears locate and left-click "I have a key or code to enter" -

Key Entry Access.png

4) On the next popup dialog box enter your new product key in the area provided then left-click the "Next" button -

New Key Entry.png

That should do it!

Let us know if you encounter any difficulties.

Kind Regards,

John

peterweb
Kudos: 1,462
Solutions: 366

PaulJones wrote:

Renew always takes me to Norton Account, but if I went the Support > there was an Enter Product Key, and I plugged that in, seems to have "taken".   So I guess I'm good to go now.  Thanks.

That is another way to get to the screen John describes.

Good sleuthing.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.