Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Hal30306

Norton Internet Security Won't Scan

Hello. I have Norton Internet Security version 18.7.1.3. I have a HP laptop running Windows Vista Home. NIS will update but will not scan. When I try to start a full scan nothing happens. I have also noticed that the idle scans are not working. What could be the issue?

Thanks.

Phil_D
Topics: 207
Kudos: 2,555
Solutions: 391

Re: Norton Internet Security Won't Scan

Hello Hal30306 and welcome!

Do you notice any error messages when you attempt the scan?

Are there any entries in NIS History > Scan Results?

Thanks!

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Contributor
Hal30306

[ Edited ]

Hello.

No error messages.

Yes. There are idle quick results in the history section. From this morning and yesterday and back further. However, I have not seen the idle scan working screen appear. And, I still cannot force a full scan.

Thanks for the help.

Visitor
AdityaTiku

first uninstall and then install again. i hope this may help you.

Contributor
Hal30306

To uninstall / reinstall do I use the uninstall program in Windows and then download the software again from Norton? I assume that since I have no disc the record of my purchase will be on Norton's website.

thanks.

Phil_D
Topics: 207
Kudos: 2,555
Solutions: 391

Hello Hal30306,

A reinstall may be required, but let's check a few other items before taking that step.

How long has NIS 2011 been installed on this machine?  What security program was there prior to NIS?

Do you have any other realtime security programs running on your computer?

Did you ever manually set up a scheduled scan as opposed to using the default Idle Full System Scan?

Thanks

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Contributor
Hal30306

How long has NIS 2011 been installed on this machine?  What security program was there prior to NIS?

As far as I can recall, NIS was on the computer when I bought it, so around 3 years. I've upgraded from time to time.

Do you have any other realtime security programs running on your computer?

There is a McAfee program to ask if I want to install, but I do not have it installed. It's been there from the beginning without problem.

Did you ever manually set up a scheduled scan as opposed to using the default Idle Full System Scan?

Yes. I like to do a full scan overnight. The last one was April 22.

Visitor
AdityaTiku

hello,

Your renewal key code must be in your mail that you had given it when you had purchased it online. You can download NIS from norton and use that renewal key. 

Contributor
Hal30306

Is that the same as the confirmation number?

Visitor
AdityaTiku

No. They are different.