Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Richie
Accepted Solution

Norton Issue in Internet Explorer 11

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping that someone can help me, or possibly provide an explanation to the following.

A few days ago I updated to Windows 8.1 and i assumed everything was fine. However the scanner is no longer finding tracking cookies for sites where I have been previously and know tracking cookies are active.

When I visit these same sites using Firefox however, and then do a scan, the scanner finds the Tracking Cookies. So basically it's saying there are tracking cookies when on Firefox, but not when on Internet Explorer.

I have the latest version of Norton on subscription, and the support run tells me that the installation is fine. I can no find no differences to before in my online settings etc, so I'm at a loss as to what to think about this.

My major concern is that Norton isn't protecting me when i use IE11. Which obviously is not what I want at all!

Thanks in advance if anyone can help,

Richie.

Richie
huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,862
Solutions: 380

Re: Norton Issue in Internet Explorer 11

Is it possible that IE 11 is blocking tracking cookies and that is why Norton does not find any? There is a setting in IE11 but whether it has settings specific to tracking I don't know and I'm not in WIndows 8 at the moment.

Hugh
Contributor
Richie

I did consider that, but i couldn't find anything to confirm it was the case. Unless anyone knows any different and can confirm.

I am aware that 11 has "increased security" too, but i don't know to what degree. I'm certainly not an expert on IE sadly, and wouldn't know where to begin dissecting it.

Richie
F4E
Kudos: 839
Solutions: 187

Hi Richie, it IS possible that IE 11 is blocking tracking cookies. I have Firefox set to accept cookies in sites, but to block 3rd party cookies. Set in that way, I haven't had Norton flag tracking cookies, in ages. I also use CCleaner after each browsing session and also use MawareBytes Anti Malware and SuperantiSpyware, both used as free passive scanners only. Neither have picked up tracking cookies, either.

I also use Adblock Plus, and Do Not Track Me addons, in Firefox.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
huwyngr

And Google Search has a setting for Turn off features that send information. But that may only apply to Google?

Hugh
Contributor
Richie

Thanks for all your replies guys.

I'm guessing it is possible that IE11 is blocking tracking cookies, but then i am as equally concerned that Windows 8.1 and IE11 are not as secure as they should be. And perhaps they are interfering with Norton in some way.

I must be honest, i didn't have a single problem with Windows 8 and IE10, but 8.1 and IE11 are not to my liking thus far. I wish i hadn't updated so soon. There are clearly bugs in 8.1 that need ironing out.

Richie
Super Phishing Phryer
Apostolos

[ Edited ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am aware that 11 has "increased security"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Wait until the next 0-day vulnerability will be discovered and you will see how much "increased security" IE 11 has....

Regards,

Contributor
Richie

After another week or so of investigating, i believe that the problem lies with Norton.

I am now experiencing the same with Firefox. I just ran a full scan and Norton picked absolutely nothing up. But I know this cannot and should not be the case.

Tracking cookies are not so much of a concern, but what I am really concerned about now is that Norton is not scanning as effectively as it was. Meaning that it could be missing other things.

I am only very new to Norton, so can any recommend the best way of asking Norton to investigate this? I believe the compatability with Windows 8.1 is the problem.

Richie
F4E
Kudos: 839
Solutions: 187

Richie, tracking cookies are not that great a problem. You can install an addon called Do Not Track Me, and you can also install CCleaner, which does a great job of clearing your system.

Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
huwyngr

Some versions of Internet Explorer have Do no track me built in I understand -- certainly IE10 has and IE 11 has improved it so it's not exactly an Add-on in the sense of having to install something that shows up under Manage Add-ons.

Here's an article about it in IE 10 -- http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-sticking-with-default-do-not-track-setting-for-ie10 

And on IE 11 http://www.neowin.net/news/ie11-preview-has-improvements-to-do-not-track-features 

<< In addition, IE11 offers users more ways to change their personal Do Not Track settings via the Privacy panel in the Settings menu or from the Safety menu on the desktop.  >>

Microsoft even has a Do Not Track Test Page .....

Hugh