Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Rootkit Eradicator

Norton LiveUpdate "Failed to Complete" on "Check for Updates"

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I Turned my computer on for the day.  I then did a Norton LiveUpdate and everything was fine; this was about three hours' ago.  I then Re-Started the computer and did a Full System Scan in Safe Mode.  I then Re-Started the computer in Normal Mode and did a Norton LiveUpdate; it said "Failed to Complete" for the "Check for Updates", but Downloaded and Installed Norton 2009 Web Protection Definitions and Norton 2009 Streaming Virus Definitions, and now, I am not longer getting Norton 2009 Streaming Virus Definitions, or any Updates now.  When I Clicked on the "More Info" button, it said that it couldn't Connect to Support and to check my Internet Connection; when I Clicked "Next", it informed me that Norton Internet Security could not help, and listed a list of Support Contact Numbers.  Is anyone else having this Issue?  Is there any Issues with the Servers?

- Windows X.P.; Service Pack 03

Message Edited by Floating_Red on 09-03-2009 09:13 PM
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,854
Solutions: 779

Re: Norton LiveUpdate "Failed to Complete" on "Check for Updates"

Hi Floating_Red,

I think everyone is having this issue.  I just went through the exact experience you did, plus having the Symantec search function time out on me when I attempted to research the error.

Yaso_Kuuhl
Kudos: 1,438
Solutions: 528

Hey Floating_Red,

The LiveUpdate servers are down, and the Symantec website is not running properly, either. Just look at this thread (and other threads addressing the same problem are cropping up right now):

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=70838

Rootkit Eradicator

Yaso_Kuuhl wrote:

The LiveUpdate servers are down...

Yes, that appears to be the case since other customers are experiencing this Issue that cropped up when I was typing mine.

Thanks Yaso and SendOfJive for your Replies and information.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Yaso_Kuuhl

[ Edited ]

Floating_Red wrote:

Yaso_Kuuhl wrote:

The LiveUpdate servers are down...

Yes, that appears to be the case since other customers are experiencing this Issue that cropped up when I was typing mine.

Thanks Yaso and SendOfJive for your Replies and information.

It's been a topsy-turvy week for us all...gäll? ;-)) (gäll: Swiss German for: isn't that so?)

In the meantime, even more threads complaining about the servers' outage are cropping up.

Just tested my own NIS 2007 product, ran LiveUpdate manually - can't connect to LiveUpdate. And I'm squatting here in Switzerland. 

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 09-03-2009 10:31 PM
Yaso_Kuuhl

Symantec Customer Service, too, is beyond reach. Tried chatting with them to get an official verdict on the LiveUpdate server status. Couldn't get through. Sluggish loading of pages, chatroom itself refused to load.
Rootkit Eradicator

symantec could be Upgrading the Servers, or symantec could be having Problems...

Norton Fighter
mdturner

Floating_Red wrote:

symantec could be Upgrading the Servers, or symantec could be having Problems...

Wondered if they have tried a "full release" of the x.x.2.11 updates and it crashed the liveupdate servers??

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

Contributor
nyarch

Of course symantec is having problems - that is what happens when you've been promising updates for months, then announce the release, then cannot keep up with the demand.

-OR-

They released the "fix" again, and it crapped out AGAIN, so they shut down the server to prevent additional downloads of their betaware.

Aren't we all glad we paid for this experience?

Yaso_Kuuhl

[ Edited ]

Floating_Red wrote:

[...] or symantec could be having Problems...

That is definitely the case right now ;-D I guess "patience" is yet again the keyword for this situation ;-)

Message Edited by Yaso_Kuuhl on 09-03-2009 11:01 PM