Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
KevinDundee

Norton Protection Center has taken my C Drive

Hi all, new here so bare with me.

A week ago, I came to the decision of resoring my computer to factory settings as my C drive and Recovery drive had ran out. When I rebooted it, I installed Norton (although, not the one I had as it was my fathers and only available for 3 computers) and now the same problem has came about. I have less than 200kb in my C drive as 160gb has been taken up!! And my HP_Recovery has the same-ish. There is four back up files in my C drive, one dating back to 2010. I cant delete old ones as it won't let me. Im going out of my mind here, please anybody HELP!!!!

Kevin

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,861
Solutions: 379

Re: Norton Protection Center has taken my C Drive

Kevin,

I'm sure someone can help you but we need some more information -- her'es my boilerplate:

To get you the best advice, would you give us some more information about your system:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Name and Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help or Support / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number.

Please tell us what Norton you had installed previously from your father's account and also after the factory restore what trial installation of a security application came preinstalled since that kind of restore will put that back and you need to uninstall and clean up with a special tool we can point you to once we know what was there.

If you have the COMCAST version of Norton 360 / Security Suite and not the normal retail version please be sure to tell us.

If you get any error messages please give the exact wording of them as well as any other background that could be helpful.

Hugh
Visitor
KevinDundee

Hugh. Thanks for taking the time to reply, I hope I can give you a good answer, I'm not great on computers.

I think I am on Windows XP Proffessional and is a 64-bit Im sure. The norton is Symantec Protection Center. I had a disc type Norton before I rebooted computer which my Dad bought and that worked for three computers but I was the third computer and dont think it'll work on mine now as it might see it as a fourth computer? so now Im on the 60 day trial until we sort that out.

I have had no error messages yet but a message keeps popping up saying I am critically low in memory in the C Drive.

Hope this was enough, really panicking now.

Kevin.

Visitor
KevinDundee

If it's any use. This message comes up when I try to delete old back-ups (from 2010) from my C Drive:

Cannot delete opk: Access is denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Since my last post, I have managed to install Norton 360 for real and here is what i've found:

Version 6.0.0.145

Kevin

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,853
Solutions: 779

Since installing Norton 360, is the issue resolved?  "Norton Protection Center" indicates that you were using an older version of Norton.  These older versions often have problems with disk space, which is not an issue with newer versions.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,861
Solutions: 379

Kevin

<< I think I am on Windows XP Proffessional and is a 64-bit Im sure.  >>

Could you double check thaqt since 64bit XP was very rare and of variable reliability ....

I'm not in XP at the moment so I can't check what works and what doesn't but you want System Information and that should tell you the version of Windows, what Service Packs are installed and if it is 64 bit --- if it does not say that it is 64 bit then it is the more common 32 bit ....

<< that worked for three computers but I was the third computer and dont think it'll work on mine now as it might see it as a fourth computer? >>

Do you now have 4 computers with Norton or did you stop using one? If you are no longer using the third one then you can cancel an activation and use it again on the new PC.

You are using the trial version of Norton that come with the PC -- was that N360 that you say you have now installed or was it the more common Norton Internet Security?

Just trying to sort out what has happened although I see you have Norton 360 installed now but is that the trial or your Dad's or .... ?

Hugh