Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
CalvinOU812

Norton Shuts Down After Subscription Expires

Hi everyone,

How do I complain (give input) to Symantec about Norton?

I've been a loyal Norton user since the early 90's. Until now, I personally hadn't had any major problems with Norton. That had enabled me to convince a lot of people over the years to switch to Norton; even disgruntled users. (I always emphasized the importance of disabling Norton before installing any new trusted software and the importance of definitions updates.)

Before, when the Norton subscription expired, only the definitions stopped updating. Everything else kept working. This gave me some leeway to update Norton. I could update it when it was convenient to me: before or a little while after it expired.

Now, instead of just the definition updates ending after the subscription expires, all of the Norton protection shuts down. At first I thought they just made it appear that way to scare people to purchase the renewal faster. But after looking at it and from what I've read about it, the protection does end.

It appears that Symantec wants everyone to purchase their renewal or even set up their auto-renewal. I purchase the latest version of Norton every year. This is why I don't purchase their renewal. Now, since Norton shuts down after the subscription expires, I have to purchase and receive the new version, plus I have to schedule time to uninstall the old Norton and install the new Norton before the subscription expires. This means I will no longer get my full year's subscription. This may sound petty of me, but I use computers for my business. This also means if I forget to purchase and install the new version on one of my computers before the subscription expires, just once, I could catch a virus (or something) and loose valuable irreplaceable information. That's too risky for me.

Another bothersome inconvenience is that I now need to contact a lot of people and warn them about this Norton problem. Unfortunately, I'm expecting hostility toward me and Norton.

I am very disappointed and upset with Symantec. They may think this will raise their sales and it may for a short while. But I think in the long run it will be detrimental to them.

I'm hoping that this was simply a bad decision by Symantec and that they will correct it. Does anyone know if they've decided to change future versions back to the way it was? Or, should I look for a different company to keep me computers safe?

Best regards,

CalvinOU812
Super Spam Squasher
boneidle

Re: Norton Shuts Down After Subscription Expires

I think Norton started this with their N360 in2008.

I also do not renew on-line, I prefer to buy the disk each year for the benefit of being able to reload it if necessary, without having to be on-line.

My feeling is that there should be say a fortnights grace, for people on holidays, or, heaven forbid, who are ill.

Not nice when you come out of Hospital, and have to sort this worry out before you can go on the Web.

Still, I suppose Norton have their reasons, don't know if they're allowed to tell us though.

delphinium
Kudos: 2,955
Solutions: 293

We are just purchasing the subscription to use Symantec's software for a year.  When the year is up, the software no longer works.  The subscription is finished.  Even a grace period is difficult, because people being people, would then wait to the end of the grace period to update their subscription.

I don't think the idea is to increase sales, but to prevent users from becoming infected while continuing to use a product with out-dated definitions.  It is a poor security company that allows people to continue with a false sense of security that they are being protected, when they really aren't protected at all.

Under certain circumstances profanity provides relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain
dbrisendine
Kudos: 1,292
Solutions: 263

You can get the latest version of the "same" Norton product for free with a valid subscription.  For example, you can "upgrade" from NIS2009 to NIS2010 for free, online at the Norton Update Center, and carry over whatever remaining time there is on your subscription.  So, if the problem with renewals was that you thought you could not get the latest version, that is not so.  You could purchase online renewals, get the latest versions and not lose any subscription time at all.  The Update Center will check you product and tell you if there is a newer version available, direct you to the download and even start the process of downloading / updating to the latest version if you wish.  Of course, you can still download the latest installers, Norton Recovery Tool, etc. from the web site if you wish to have a "hard" copy on hand.
Win7 x32 SP1 NIS 21.1.0.18
floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,025
Solutions: 361

Hi Calvin

To answer your question that you stated in your first line of your post, you just did complain to Symantec by creating your thread. Symantec employees do read these threads and sometimes make comments also. The Symantec employees are those in RED.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Tech83
Topics: 53
Kudos: 164
Solutions: 27

Hi! CalvinOU812,

It is unwise to use a security product beyond the subscription time because it leads to a false sense of security.  This is why Symantec and almost all other security program manufacturers have the program shut down completely; I say almost all because there are some security programs out there that are free and do not have a subscription period.  However, these security programs do not provide the level of security that Norton does.  Besides this, Symantec does start giving you notice of expiration 30 days prior to the subscription expiring and every day during the 30 day time frame.  If you purchase your new product during that time you can wait until the subscription  expires and then install the product.  You can also do as was suggested earlier in this thread and use the update center to get the latest version of the software and just simply enter in the product key from the purchased copy thereby minimizing product down time.

rug
Visitor
rug

I was planning to renew within days. I was waiting for my credit card billing date which occurred at about the time of the subscription expiry date. When I started my computer and was greeted with the warning that NIS was disabled and that I couldn't even access my passwords stored in the password manager I decided to think twice about renewing my subscription.

I find it hard to trust a company that uses this type of marketing, essentially holding their customers hostage, to get them to open their wallets. Who are these guys, mafia?

It's too bad because the product has been greatly improved since the debacle with the 2007 version. I subscribed during the version 2006 period for 2 years and removed the product after 1 because it was a dog eating up resources like crazy. They've managed to pull a complete 360 and are once again the top recommended product. I have no qualms about the goods, but...

Fortunately for me I kept my passwords in a separate database just in case. I pity the people who didn't, although, subscribing for another year as long as it works as well as it does now wouldn't be that onerous. I just don't like rewarding a company that uses such practices out of principal.

-Still undecided...

floplot
Topics: 210
Kudos: 2,025
Solutions: 361

Hi

Didn't you get warnings for like 30 days that your subscription was ending? If you have car insurance for a year and you don't renew it before it expires, does it not end on the expiration date? If you have a prescription for a medicine that has renewals on it and you try to renew it again after the prescription period ends, do you not have to get another doctor's prescription in order to get your necessary pills? If you had a reason like wanting to wait a day or 2, you should have contacted customer support. They MAY have been able to help you out, I don't know if they could have or not.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,687
Solutions: 760

rug wrote:

Fortunately for me I kept my passwords in a separate database just in case. I pity the people who didn't, although, subscribing for another year as long as it works as well as it does now wouldn't be that onerous. I just don't like rewarding a company that uses such practices out of principal.

Just as a point of information, there is a method to recover your Identity Safe data once your subscription has expired.  The data can be accessed and exported as a comma delimited file.  Norton does not prevent you from recovering this information simply because you no longer have a valid subscription. 

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nco.nsf/0/e5a44e06f97b3f89882572260060120f?OpenDocument&seg=hm&...
Super Spam Squasher
boneidle

We are warned, via a popup, of what will happen when our subscriptions run out.

So we have been warned,   and it's Norton who are calling the shots,   whether we like it or not.

Saying that, I for one would like to see a 14 day grace where Norton is still usable, but without Updates of course.

This would be the choice of the user, and give the chance to renew,  belatedly, for whatever reason.

Any renewal would count from the original expiration date.

This would show goodwill on Norton's part, and perharps stop a few clients from going elsewhere.

I know Norton may say that without updates, it could be false security, but then, it's better than searching for/downloading another security prog without any anti-virus protection at all.

Goodwill goes a long way.

As I said earlier, Norton calls the shots,   we paid for 1 or 2 years,   and that's what we get.

We are warned, so we make our choice.

Let's hope it's the right one,  

The saying goes, " Don't jump out of the Frying Pan,  into the Fire".