Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Dovblink2

Norton has conflicts with Spybot search and destroy?

Hello, I am a new member in Norton Community forum and I've found really good information about problems or other matters.

I would like to install Spybot - Search & Destroy, but my concern is that if Norton Internet Security 2008 will have any conflict with Spybot?

And something else, which is personal, what anti-spyware do you use to protect youself from keyloggers, spies, bots, etc?

Because, NIS 2008 only offers antivirus and firewall, right?

That's all I'd like to know, if you have the time to answer. :)

Be safe.

- Dovblink2.

Phil_D
Topics: 208
Kudos: 2,559
Solutions: 391

Re: Norton has conflicts with Spybot search and destroy?

Hi Dovblink2,

NIS 2008 does not have a conflict with Spybot. However I do not have the Spybot "resident" feature running which provides realtime protection; I use Spybot only in the passive mode. I use it from time to time just to double check things. I cannot say with certainty that you would be conflict free if Spybot realtime resident protection was running - I just don't know.

NIS 2008 most definitely has an anti-spyware / anti-malware component and I rely upon that for realtime protection.

Another program which I use to check things once in a while is the FREE version of Malwarebytes. Again I use this program only in the passive mode, turning it on only when I want to run a scan. I do not have it running in the background.

I can tell you that when I do double check my system, I have never had another anti-spyware come up with any risks that NIS 2008 missed - with the exception of maybe a tracking cookie or two - no big deal, that's only a matter of minor definition differences.

Hope that helps.

Best Wishes,

Phil

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

I guess it would work but I wouldn't advice it. On demand solutions like Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are less likely to have bugs with Norton
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Regular Contributor
NY1986

Heck, if NAV2008 has anti-spyware and anti-malware, I'm sure NIS 2008 does
Spyware Scolder
jarrycanada

I just got Malwarebytes, it's not bad, faster then Superantispyware. going to replace AVG antispyware with it. now that it's no longer being made. as for Spybot and Search and destroy it works fine with Norton so long as you don't use the teatimer. plus if you use the Immunize button, it will add domains to your host file to protect you but norton security inspector will remove them.

Stu Rootkit Eradicator
Rootkit Eradicator
Stu

Yep , teatimer is the bad guy withing Spybot. You really don't want to use that with Norton
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Greenly_Steel

I too am a new member in Norton Community forum which looks to be very useful.

I have used Norton ever since the days if Windows 3.1 and snail email and Spybot from when it first appeared. I hardly ever have problems with malicious attacks other than one or two that have been resolved easily.

Now having installed the first Norton update for N2008, I found that there was a serious conflict with Spybot which prevented N2008 starting up on re-booting.

The problem was resolved by removing Spybot from my (XP) system and still being 'safe' having noted that the spec. for N2008 includes Anti Virus, Firewall, Intrusion prevention, Anti-Spyware, Phishing protection and Email scanning.

Phil_D
Topics: 208
Kudos: 2,559
Solutions: 391

Hi Greenly_Steel,

As Stu mentioned earlier it is the Resident / Tea Timer in Spybot that causes the issue because it runs in the background looking for startup and registry changes.

NIS 2008 will give you outstanding protection on its own.

If you feel as though you have lost a long-time friend, just install Spybot in passive mode - no Resident or Tea Timer. You can use it once in awhile to double check things, but by having NIS 2008 installed you'll probably find that it comes up empty or maybe just a tracking cookie here and there.

Welcome to the Forums!

Norton Internet Security • Comcast NSS • Norton Security Beta | XP SP3 • Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
• PLEASE, BACKUP or EXPORT your Identity Safe Data on a regular basis •
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."  Edward R. Murrow

Spyware Scolder
jarrycanada

I noticed with the last update to Spybot S&D, by default it now installs Teatimer, in the install. so you got to uncheck that or keep a eye out for that. anyway. you got to read every step carefully when you install that baby.. but they get along just fine with norton.

I am really really liking Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware, they are my main two guys now.  I run them once a week. don't let super Antispywares page scare you away from it. got nothing to lose but spyware....  I like that they don't install services that need to run 24/7 that it will just install and go away real nicely.,unlike a-squared Free and ad aware2007 did. new version fixed that I think.

Greenly_Steel

Many thanks for welcoming me to the fora.

I will leave Spybot off for a while in view of the comprehensive facility N2008 provides.

I don't know yet it there are any issues with Adaware which I have used successfully for seeking out sneaky stuff.