Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
apsaintsfan

Norton internet security 2011 wont install

I have norton internet security 2011 CD.

I have Norton Internet Security 2010 on my computer and I did the free update to 2011.

Do I install Norton from the CD or what. It says I have only 1 day left on subscription.

It wont go anywhere from Initializing then to blank.

Paul

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

Re: Norton internet security 2011 wont install

HI Paul,

Welcome to the Norton Community. What OS and SP (service pack) do you have and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Did NIS 2011 install successfully and then won't run properly or did it not install at all?

Was everything working OK with NIS 2010?

Also, very important, do you have any other security software installed besides NIS?

If you do have any other security software installed then let us know before proceeding with the steps below. Otherwise please continue as shown below.

If you use Identity Safe you should back up this data first. Please see this link for details on how to do this.

Before you use the removal tool, please download the full version of NIS 2011 from here. Please note that this is the English version so please let me know if you need a different language and I will provide the appropriate link.

Once you have downloaded NIS, you can proceed with use of the removal tool as indicated below.

Please NOTE that this removes ALL Symantec products so be sure to have your license keys ready as you will need to reinstall all your Symantec software products. You can get your Norton product key from your Norton Account.

Once done please download the Norton Removal Tool from Symantec from this link.

For your protection, disconnect from the Internet before continuing.

Do a conventional uninstall of NIS via the Control Panel and then restart your computer.

Run the Norton Removal Tool and once it is completed, please reboot your computer. Once up please run the Removal Tool one more time and once again reboot.

Then please install NIS 2011 from the full version downloaded earlier instead of using the CD. Once installed please reconnect back to the Internet and run Live Update repeatedly (rebooting as requested) until it reports there are no more updates.

NIS 2011 should automatically pick up your subscription and since you are down to 1 day remaining on your subscription once NIS 2011 is installed please click on "Renew" at the bottom of the main user interface and then enter the product key included with your boxed version of NIS 2011 into the space provided. Then click the "play" button just to the right of this box.

This should update your subscription. If it does not update correctly, please click on Support > Subscription status. This will communicate with the Symantec server and should update your subscription information.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)
apsaintsfan

Ok, Vista SP2 I do believe, 32bit. Intel Dual Core 2.33ghz, 4 gb ram, 500 gb hard drive, 16x DVD writer.

It starts with the initializing part and then it goes away. Nothing saying if installing or what.

That I know of everything was working with NIS 2010, I mean it would catch things whenever needed, so I had no problems.

About a month ago, I got the notice to "try NIS 2011" from my norton and all and so I did.

No other security software installed. Another question? Am I supposed to uninstall NIS 2010 before I install NIS 2011? I mean I did not do this but just curious if was supposed to?

Thanks

Paul

huwyngr
Topics: 1,000
Kudos: 2,717
Solutions: 368

<< Do I install Norton from the CD or what. It says I have only 1 day left on subscription. >>

Did you click on Renew on the expiring installation and enter the KEY from the copy you bought?

Hugh
Regular Visitor
notadesertgirl

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem this evening.

Had upgraded from NIS10 to NIS11 a month or so ago.

Subscription ends in 2 days.

Bought a CD with NIS11 with 1 yr subscription.

Today tried to install NIS from this CD - the same result as TS: initializing, but nothing happens after.

Tried several times, finally decided that as far as I have NIS11 already, I do not need to install it, right?

So, I opened my existing NIS11, clicked on "Renew" - then I was given a choice to input the Product code, if I had one.

I input the code from the CD - and voila! my subscription has been successfully extended!

Too bad, on CD there's no prompt to use only the key if you have the most current version of the software....

AllenM

apsaintsfan wrote:

Ok, Vista SP2 I do believe, 32bit. Intel Dual Core 2.33ghz, 4 gb ram, 500 gb hard drive, 16x DVD writer.

It starts with the initializing part and then it goes away. Nothing saying if installing or what.

That I know of everything was working with NIS 2010, I mean it would catch things whenever needed, so I had no problems.

About a month ago, I got the notice to "try NIS 2011" from my norton and all and so I did.

No other security software installed. Another question? Am I supposed to uninstall NIS 2010 before I install NIS 2011? I mean I did not do this but just curious if was supposed to?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Normally if you are upgrading from one year to the next as you were (2010 to 2011) and everything is working good with your current version, you can just install over the top. In this case the 2011 installation will automatically take care of removing the old version and so forth.

Sometimes there are hiccups and we have to go the more complete route.

Please let us know how it goes after you do the procedure I outlined earlier.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
AllenM

HI notadesertgirl,

Just to confirm, yes what you did is the correct way. It is never necessary to reinstall the Norton software just to upgrade a subscription.

Best wishes.

Allen