Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
klucich

Norton is slowing my PC to a crawl

I have a fairly new Dell and everything works fine until Norton Internet Security starts up. It slows my computer into uslessness and I have to shut it down. I turned off the auto update, which helped, but still it seems to have a mind of it's own and I cannot tell what it is doing or what kind of schedule it is on. It is so bad, that if I cannot get this resolved, I will not buy another PC and switch to Mac. I do not have any other security software installed. I purchased Norton Internet Security on-line and download the update annually.

yank
Kudos: 2,248
Solutions: 512

Re: Norton is slowing my PC to a crawl

klucich wrote:

I have a fairly new Dell and everything works fine until Norton Internet Security starts up. It slows my computer into uslessness and I have to shut it down. I turned off the auto update, which helped, but still it seems to have a mind of it's own and I cannot tell what it is doing or what kind of schedule it is on. It is so bad, that if I cannot get this resolved, I will not buy another PC and switch to Mac. I do not have any other security software installed. I purchased Norton Internet Security on-line and download the update annually.

Hi klucich,

Are you absolutely sure you have no other security software installed?  Most new systems come with a trail version of some security program.  Please look in Add/Remove Programs (Programs & Features) and see if there are any other security products listed.  Even if it is a tiral of a Norton product it has got to be removed. 

You said you download the update annually - how long have you had the NIS installed and did it just recently (perhpas after an update) did your system slow down.

Please tell us what version of NIS you are using (Support > About), also your operating system and browser (inculding version of both).

MagnusLindh
Topics: 9
Kudos: 23
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 5

Hey.

It dont  have to be your Norton Internet Security that are slowing down your computer.

What version of Norton Internet Security are you running on your computer?

Can it be that you are runing several processes on you that are slowing your computer down.

you can check this with the tool Msconfig.

Press the button with the windows flag on it and then the button R at the same time.

Know the commandprompt for RUN will appear and thier you type MSCONFIG and press enter.

Go to autostart thier you will see what and which processes are running when windows starts.

Check out the processes that you think is not important to you.

The more check outs of processes you do, the faster your computer will run when you start your computer and login in to your user account on your computer.

To have to many processes running will slow your computer down, how myúch depends on how good computer you have.

When did you defrag and did a cleanup of your computer, this can tribute to that your computer is slow.

Here are 3 programs that can help you with this.

Ccleaner = Removes junk files and cleans your registry.

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Defraggler = Will defrag your computer.

http://filehippo.com/download_defraggler/

Auslogics Disk Frag = Will also defrag your computer.

http://filehippo.com/download_auslogics_disk_defrag/

These are good programs, try them out and see if it helps.

Good Luck

Sweman

bleeper24
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 14

Hi klucich

You also wrote-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is so bad, that if I cannot get this resolved, I will not buy another PC and switch to Mac.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think there is more going on here than just Norton NIS slowing down your machine !

Wether it be PC or Mac...slow down issues can prevail on either format.....

I have Norton NIS 2012 running on a spare Dell Studio 15 that I use as a test machine , and it does not impact performance in any noticeable negative way .

I also have NIS on my wifes HP Mini netbook with Intel Atom processor which is way behind the performance level of a recent Dell laptop set up ....and it works equally well on the HP Mini too !

As the other guys' have suggested ....there seems to be the possibility that there is either a conflict you may have overlooked ...or some "process hogging " from some source that needs investigating .

Any further info on your exact model of laptop will also be of assistance in helping find a starting point to help you with your issue :smileywink:

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHD

Docendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)

klucich

I don't see any other version of Norton or security software installed on my computer.

I have and use all the products you mention for maintenance.

It seemed to get better when I turned off "Live Update" some time ago, but still something runs periodically and always at a bad time.

I just turned off Windows Live update and set it to "Notify me but don't download". Could this possibly be the problem?

Where do I find out info about my Dell machine? Sorry, I am not a PC buff.

lmacri
Kudos: 728

[ Edited ]

Hi klucich:

You may find some of the troubleshooting tips here in Patrick McCabe's thread Is Norton Slowing Down My Computer? helpful in diagnosing the problem.  The Idle Time Optimizer (a disk defragger that comes with NIS)  and Norton Community Watch are two resource-intensive NIS tasks mentioned in that post that can be disabled without decreasing your system protection.

You should be able to find information about your system hardware at Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Information. Since you're using a new Dell PC it likely meets all the hardware requirements for running NIS (browse here and click on the System Requirements tab).  Information about the some of the programs loading at startup can be found by typing msconfig in the Windows Run command (Start | Run) and clicking the Startup tab in the System Configuration window.

System Config.jpg

The newer Dell PCs often have a built-in Dell security program installed at the factory so it always raises a red flag when someone tells us they have a Norton product running on a Dell PC.

----------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 8.0.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

bleeper24
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 14

[ Edited ]

Hi again klucich

If you can please advise us of the details regarding your Dell model and the facts regarding any other instances of pre installed software on your Dell ....it will help us immensely , as you have not yet confirmed some of the queries requested in the responses .

You state clearly that you do not have any other instances of Norton products installed ...but as the others have rightly stated .Dell machines (and many others) come with pre installed security software that can leave remnants behind in the Registry files that can interfere with subsequent installs at a later date !

As you have apologized for the fact that you are not a computer "buff " ...Don't worry about that ...we all have had to start somewhere , and thats' what this community is here for :smileywink:.

If you are not familiar with the methods of totally uninstalling software ...it could be simply a matter of a conflict between an incomplete install of a previous product and your existing Norton product .

I use a Dell Studio 15 and also a new Dell XPS and the first thing I do , is remove all the pre installed software I don't want or need .But I can confirm that a recent Dell of even the lower specs in their range ,easily has the capability to run Norton products.

Imacri has correctly stated that the Dell has many pre installed programs on board , and I know that the Dell pre install package has loads of these trial programs,  and any incorrect or incomplete removal can lead to various problems ...are these still present on your laptop ?...and if so , can you tell us what they are etc:

A recent Dell machine should have more than enough "grunt " to run your Norton without any slow down or lag , and the issue is more than likely software related ,  so the more info you can give on any uninstalls or reinstalls you may have carried out recently could be enough to give us a clue as to how to help you solve this problem.The version of your operating system will also help as each version has its' own way of carrying out instructions !

Thanks........Ed

Windows7 SP1....Norton NIS 2012 ...4Gb RAM ..Momentus XT SolidState HybridHD

Docendo discimus ( Teach in order to learn)

Dion_O
Topics: 0
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 0

Hi,

please ensure that you dont have a ton of startup items and aswell as programs that are running on the background that consumes Ram, with the lates release of NIS its actually as light as feather now so make sure to have the latest build installed on you PC. whats the build of your machine? but then again try to check if there is another security software installed on the PC that might be conflicting with Norton (not Norton product) that could be causing your PC to run slow.

try www.Norton.com/computerslow  hope that would help.

I think therefore I exist
konradrudolph

[ Edited ]

You must ensure that Norton Internet Security runs the only antivirus program. If you’ve had other antivirus programs in the past, you need the manufacturer’s instructions to remove these programs follow. May need to do a manual removal of these anti-virus programs. Sometimes, when they are removed using the Add / Remove Programs option (or “Programs” in Vista / 7), there are still elements that cause behind conflict left.

So, check that no other anti-virus programs run and a manual removal. Next, be sure that some of the options are turned off. Open the home page your Norton Internet security program and disable the “Autoprotect until system restart” option and restart your computer. This should help when Norton Internet Security slows your computer down. If not, then open Norton Internet security and in the “computer” section, open the settings. Under “Real Time Protection”, move the slider so that it the caching and load early. Click “OK” and then restart your computer.

There may be other issues with your computer. We suggest runningCCleaner or the free version of Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware. They are both excellent products that will find any junk files and viruses lingering on your computer.

Depending on how satisfied you are with Norton, you can uninstall it completely and install another antivirus program on your computer.

[edit: Please do not promote personal websites per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]