Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
Anshar

Re: PIFTS.EXE discussion thread

Well said, Mat. That trust issue is one that I pointed out earlier. They basically have tried to keep the public image as un-damaged as possible by fully blaming all that has happened on spam, which is simply untrue. They did this in an attempt to keep those who missed out on the true ordeal satisfied, and ignoring those who DID see what happened, is the only response me or you will most likely ever get.

I am actually going to start a blog piling up this information for those who seek it. Everyone should know the truth behind what's taking place at Symantec. 

Contributor
CLLL

If Symantec can't give a legitmate, clean, honest answer in at least a day I'm switching over to ESS (ESET smart security).
Tim_Lopez
Topics: 352
Kudos: 1,510
Solutions: 889

Hi everyone,

We're working on releasing more information and finding the answers to everyones questions. We're working with the proper teams to get more insight as to what has happened, and what certain things do. We know that this is a big important issue and we're working hard to get the best answer for everyones questions. This will not be something that we will "sweep under the rug" or ignore. Please be assured that we are taking this matter very seriously and will provide everyone with more information once we have it all gathered. 

In the meanwhile, please be sure to abide by the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service. The Administrators and Moderators on the forums primary role is to enforce these guidelines. We will continue to do so even while we are gathering information. Please bear with us while we work to get the answers for everyone as quickly as possible. 

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Contributor
Anshar

With all due respect Tim, from my point of view, the problem is a very simple one. You believe that this is "not something that we will 'sweep under the rug' or ignore", sadly, this is evidently all that has been done so far. What information is there to gather? You are the company. Are you not aware of the purpose of files that YOU have designed? If you were the administrator chosen to reply to us here, you would think that they would at least inform you somewhat as to what is going on, instead of employing more stall tactics. I am not reassured at all.
Contributor
CLLL

Tim_Lopez wrote:

Hi everyone,

We're working on releasing more information and finding the answers to everyones questions. We're working with the proper teams to get more insight as to what has happened, and what certain things do. We know that this is a big important issue and we're working hard to get the best answer for everyones questions. This will not be something that we will "sweep under the rug" or ignore. Please be assured that we are taking this matter very seriously and will provide everyone with more information once we have it all gathered. 

In the meanwhile, please be sure to abide by the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service. The Administrators and Moderators on the forums primary role is to enforce these guidelines. We will continue to do so even while we are gathering information. Please bear with us while we work to get the answers for everyone as quickly as possible. 

How on earth can "releasing more information" take this long??

And I hate to be a bit pushy but do you also have plans to explain why legitimate posts PRIOR to the raids were deleted and swept under the rug?

Visitor
scirath

It certainly sparked quite a bit of discussion all over the web (not all polite, but discussion nonetheless).

*Chuckles.*

My question is marginally related to the PIFTS topic.  I'm on a Vista Pro system, running NIS 2009, and (looking  at my firewall logs) I received the application as well.  So ... Being unsigned, why did NIS allow it to run automatically, -without- generating an alert/prompt to allow?  The firewall simply logged it, noted that it allowed the program to run, and that was that.  My only alert was tuning in to the various discussions pertaining to it.

Contributor
Anshar

[ Edited ]
Apparently what this means is that NIS will allow ANY unsigned executable to run, as long as it is in some way affiliated with Norton. Nice :P. Oh, also, if your firewall didn't stop it from accessing the internet, I hope you are alright with having your information logged without your consent. ;)
Message Edited by Anshar on 03-10-2009 04:30 PM
Visitor
scirath

Urgh. Sorry. Vista Premium.
Contributor
Deadoon

I mainly registered here for one reason, getting information on this odd .exe, I believe that many people here will not be satisfied until they get proof of what it does and what it is accessing that they can verify themselves, in this case words may not be enough.
Counter arguments must not be referencing payed to post individuals, must use third party sources due to suspicious delays.
Regular Contributor
Chris1

[ Edited ]

Tony_Weiss wrote:

Hi everyone,

No doubt you've read the Official Statement about PIFTS.EXE and the reasons why many posts were removed from this forum. There was no "conspiracy" or "cover-up" - someone was spamming our forums, and we took action to remove these posts. As it increased over a few hours, many threads were removed, and several users were denied access to post in the forums. We were gathering information to distribute, and I'm sorry it took this long to post the info to everyone.

After reviewing some of the emails I've received, it appears that some posts were removed in error, as well as the access of some users. If you feel your access was removed in error, please contact me directly (my email address is listed on my user profile) and I will restore your access to the forums. I apologize for this inconvenience, and thank you for your patience while we deal with this difficult situation. Thank you also to the users who have helped us identify the malicious posts to this forum, it was a big help.

For the sake of keeping the PIFTS.EXE questions consolidated, please feel free to post all your questions/comments about PIFTS.EXE to this thread. Please do not post to a new thread, as we wish to keep all posts in one area. Before you post, please review our official statement for answers to your questions. Thanks again for your understanding with this difficult issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim_Lopez wrote:

Hi everyone,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Give Tony Weiss and the rest of the Norton Forum Mod's from Symantec Corporation a bit of time to gather what info they have on this subject so that they can relay it on toward us.

The world has "NOT" come to a end because they do not have all of the answers to which you seek at this very second!

Message Edited by Chris1 on 03-10-2009 04:34 PM