Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
jongan1

Painful installs due to faulty disc or something else

Install IS 2012 on two well functioning computers, and whilst it did take out the old copy of  2011 360, it also blew out the dvd drives on both computers.  Many hours latter figured out the disc was the common attribute.  Many more hours latter found the cure for the driver issues on microsofts answer forum.  I urge extreme CAUTION if using the hard copy disc to install.  Sadly, this website is so user unfriendly I am posting here rather than directly to tech support since they make it user unfriendly to have a person to describe their problem to.  I have a love hate with Norton.  Now i remember why!

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Re: Painful installs due to faulty disc or something else

I cannot say I understand your post. So if my understand is wrong, perhaps another will respond.

if installing NIS in place of 360 I would recommend uninstalling 360 first and then using Norton Removal Tool to clean up before applying NIS 2012.

I do not understand the expression "blew out". Did they get ejected from the PC or do you mean they were no longer accessible?

If you have a faulty disc it can be replaced by customer services. Meanwhile you can download the NIS 2012 directly from Norton's website. PM me if you need the url.

You found a cure for a driver issue but did not identify what your driver issue was.

Generally there are no problems will installing from DVD/CD provided by Symantec.

I am sorry you find this website not user friendly but again you do not identify your issue with the website and in any event have decided to post here and this is your first post.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,854
Solutions: 378

As cg indicates we need to know more to help you -- especially what security applications were installed before you tried to install which Norton applicaIion! Here's my boilerplate:

To get you the best advice, would you give us some more information about your system:

On each computer, what version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Name and Version ID of the Norton product that you are using -- Help or Support / About is where that is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number.

Were you installing from a retail purchased disk or from a download and if a download was it from the Norotn eStore or another source (there are some authorized third party download sites for Norton products I understand although I think the link into Norton at the end of the line!

If you get any error messages please give the exact wording of them as well as any other background that could be helpful. 

Please also say what internet browser you are using -- name and version number ...

The more background you can give the more likely we can help ....

Hugh
Visitor
jongan1

Hi, sadly I thought my message was self explanatory.  Both computers are 32 bit operating systems.  Yes, the disc was bought from a retailer.  When the install found another copy of norton (360) it offered to remove the previous version.  I accepted thinking the removal did not require a manual uninstall.  After removing the program , the disc wants to reboot the operating system.  When it does so, it also corrupts the dvd driver software leaving error codes the dvd software is uninstalled or corrupted.  The dvd was not usable until I was able to find the solution from microsoft.  The dvd worked fine until the uninstall.  Obviously, the removal of norton 360 also corrupted dvd drivers on both a vista and 7 system.  (both pro version)  And anyone would find this norton site not easily navigated.  I can use the search for the whole site and still not get to where I thought I would get to.  My current version is norton internet security downloaded from the website.  Last time I will use a disc!

Super Spam Squasher
cgoldman

Regretfully, I do not think there is more I can offer. You say the install found another copy of Norton 360 but I thought you were installing NIS so not sure why the reference to "another copy". Anyway, the install procedure works most of the time. If you get a problem then that is when it is best to uninstall and apply NRT twice. This could also be a function of what version of NOrton 360 was installed and in turn what was installed prior and how the removal was dealt with. 

I see no reason for any drive or related driver software to become corrupted but alas without the error codes, and the Microsoft solution applied I really do not know what issue was found.

Sorry this site is not to your preference. Feel free to post suggestions.

If you are now resolved then I am pleased.

huwyngr
Topics: 1,038
Kudos: 2,854
Solutions: 378

[ Edited ]

Microsoft knows about the disappearing DVD drives and has a MSKB article with a fixit tool as well as details as referred to in this Microsoft Answer::

<< Download and run the fixit tool from the link below and check if it fixes the problem.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116 

Regards,
Afzal Taher - Microsoft Support.  >>

If that does not resolve it then you can try the suggestion in this message here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/missing-CD-DVD-drive-after-installing-360-V5/m-p/619379#M6...   

I hope that helps 

Hugh
SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,845
Solutions: 779

Hi jongan1,

CD/DVD driver problems do occasionally occur when uninstalling Norton 360.   The following Symantec Support article links to the Microsoft fix that you are probably referring to:

Cannot access CD/DVD after I install or uninstall Norton 360

Visitor
jongan1

Hi, that was not the same article I found, but both articles describe a simialr repair with deleting the filters in the key.  I found success with the answer, but still question why Norton does not have a solution for the uninstall.  Two different brands of computer, lenovo and fujitsu and two different operATING SYSTEMS AND TWO DIFFERENT DRIVERS?  sOMETHING AIN'T RIGHT...  Thanks for looking around for an answer for me.  Wish Norton had debugged the software better.  I am sure I was not the only with this issue.